Multiples
Options

Baby Monitors?

I am a first time mother expecting twin girls in February...Having a difficult time registering for/finding a baby monitor. Does anyone have any suggestions? Two separate monitors? Will one monitor pick up both babies? The only one I see that you can buy additional for is a video monitor and it didn't get the greatest reviews!

Any susggestions are appreciated!!!

Re: Baby Monitors?

• Options
    We have a digital Summer video monitor. We currently only use one camera with it, but will add another for the twins. We had a non-digital Summer video monitor and it was horrible for us, but the digital is wonderful. I think they brand it as "Secure", not "Digital".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We got a summer video monitor that included one camera and one receiver and the capability to toggle back and forth between the one camera and a second one. Then, of course, we also got the second camera.

Works fine. I'm annoyed at how quickly it runs out of power/needs to be recharged, but as time goes on I watch the screen less and it lasts longer. So maybe it is/was just me being neurotic. 

I'll tell you that my husband, an obsessive researcher, was in charge of the monitors, and this is what he picked. I'm going to assume that means it was the best reviewed. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Angelcare monitors are the thing that saved our sanity - and still do.  They sense movement (breathing) and will sound an alarm if it's not picked up for 15  seconds.  You need 2 of them with twins - and they need to sleep apart, for the movement sensor to really work... but it's SO great to not have to worry and check if babies are breathing 100x's a night.

and on days when our kids sleep in- we never worry - we just let them sleep... it's also great when we switched to a toddler bed b/c it will alarm if DS1 gets out of bed - which he doesn't b/c he knows the alarm will go off :)

• Options
    kegkeg member

Honestly, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably get a video monitor of some type.  When they were babies, it wasn't as big a deal because I could easily go in a check on them.  However, as they have gotten older, you really can't go in their room if they aren't fully asleep without causing issues. :-)  I would love to be able to see what they are doing (lying down, standing up, playing, etc). 

We have one sound monitor (well, we have two...when they were little I set up a receiver in our main room so if they were sleeping in their bouncers I could take a shower, do laundry, etc) and that's always been fine for them.  We have Sony Babycall monitors and while for the most part they work well, I do have some issues sometime with it beeping for out of range when clearly it's not.  

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options
    we got two video monitors.  the summer ones with the flat screen and the handhelds.  I love them and i love being able to see them instead of just hearing them.  I also have the angel care and love them, but they are an added thing that you don't need and you will get addicted to ; )
  • Options

We have one video monitor that pans the room so that we will be able to see both babies without having two cameras.  I think it is a Summer brand.  We used an iGraco video monitor with DS1 and like previous post said it is much easier to be able to look at the monitor instead of having to go in and cause issues.

• Options

I have the Sony Babycall monitor and love it (just one - it picks up sound from both babies just fine).

It's just a regular ole sound monitor, and I think I'm one of the few parents on the planet who didn't want a video monitor (we would have needed two since there's no place in our nursery to put the camera that would take in both cribs) or a motion sensor monitor like Angelcare.

• Options

We have one, regular monitor and that has worked fine. Actually, I bought it at a rummage sale.

We live in a ranch style home and the babies are never very far away. I could see wanting a video monitor if the babies were going to be upstairs and I didn't want to be running up and down to check on them all of the time.

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• Options

We also use a video monitor.  We initially used a regular audio only monitor (Sony Baby Call Monitor), which worked well...but since both our babies are very noisy sleepers, we decided to get a video monitor so we could see what was going on without actually going in their room everytime they fussed.  We bought the Summer Infant Video monitor and it works great!

https://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=125624&

BFP July 09 - m/c Aug 09
    BFP Nov 09 - c/p Dec 09
    BFP Dec 09 - A&J born in August 2010 at 37w, 6d
    BFP Sept 11 - ectopic pregnancy/left tube removed
    BFP April 12 - E born December 2012 at 39w, 1d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I also have the summer infant best view. I like that the camera pans/zooms b/c 1 camera is enough for our nursery. I'll probably add more cameras when they get older and have a play room I'll want to spy on. I had the Slim & Secure for a while and the resolution on that handheld is better than the Best View IMO. But I still wanted the zoom camera. Since my DSes are newborns I just use the sound feature on it. The video feature is mostly for when they're a little older. Well, that and playing a game where DH & I try to guess which twin is making noise Wink

I don't have an Angel Care, but I want one. DH won't let me buy 2 expensive monitors though, unfortunately. 

• Options
    We have 2 AngelCare monitors and a video monitor. We have the Summer Infant handheld one. I love having both!
  • Options
    imageTheNewFry:

We also use a video monitor.  We initially used a regular audio only monitor (Sony Baby Call Monitor), which worked well...but since both our babies are very noisy sleepers, we decided to get a video monitor so we could see what was going on without actually going in their room everytime they fussed.  We bought the Summer Infant Video monitor and it works great!

https://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=125624&

This is the one we have and it is fantastic.  They also have great customer service.  Our toggle broke and I called them, they sent out a new monitor and we sent back the broken one in the same box with a pre-paid shipping label.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"