3rd Trimester

SO on johnson & johnson post

I had no idea about the whole johnson & johnson thing, but doesn't everything have little things that aren't good? Like diapers? Or other products? I haven't looked at the ingredients in Aveeno but what is the difference? Is it just Johnson & Johnson? Are they correcting their products? What about baby food?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: SO on johnson & johnson post

• as far as i see it, you will never be able to avoid every thing in life that is unsafe for your child. But why not try to help what you can. I will not be using it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Ok so let me ask you this, what products are safe? I mean how can anyone know? I am not trying to debate, but I was sooo focused on what to put on my head & what body wash to use cause of chemicals to the baby inside, but I am thinking, how do you even know what all the products have in them & be sure they are safe?
  • Loading the player...
  • imageUSArmyWifeToBe:
    Ok so let me ask you this, what products are safe? I mean how can anyone know? I am not trying to debate, but I was sooo focused on what to put on my head & what body wash to use cause of chemicals to the baby inside, but I am thinking, how do you even know what all the products have in them & be sure they are safe?

Try reading ingredient labels, and anything you can't pronounce or don't know the name of...Google. Doing your own research is the first step in being an educated consumer. You have the internet, use it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • imageSnoopyLuv:

imageUSArmyWifeToBe:
    Ok so let me ask you this, what products are safe? I mean how can anyone know? I am not trying to debate, but I was sooo focused on what to put on my head & what body wash to use cause of chemicals to the baby inside, but I am thinking, how do you even know what all the products have in them & be sure they are safe?

Try reading ingredient labels, and anything you can't pronounce or don't know the name of...Google. Doing your own research is the first step in being an educated consumer. You have the internet, use it.

I mean I guess I get the shampoo products & stuff, but like EVERYTHING? I am going to breastfeed & plan to help my child the best with that. But like what about toys that aren't organic & plastic. What about diapers? How do you keep all that in check ALL the time?

• imageUSArmyWifeToBe:

This website is a good place to start: https://safemama.com/cheatsheets/

• Thanks! I just wondered how everyone kept up on all the "bad" things & didn't miss any. I can't look every single thing up my daughter is going to come across.
  • I look at this issue the same as other parenting issues - it's mostly a matter of preference and convenience for a lot of parents.

Some parents don't vaccinate because of risks they perceive to be associated with the ingredients of a vaccine or the biological product itself.  Others feel that the risk of adverse event is much lower than the risk of contracting the illness the vaccine prevents.  Some parents are hesitant to introduce solid foods at an early age and, when they do, choose only organic or all-natural products.  Other parents are perfectly OK with feeding rice cereal in a bottle at 4 months and spooning Gerber out of a jar after that.

It's all about what you're comfortable with for your family.  Like a PP mentioned, you have to do the research and come up with your own plan.  For the vast majority of these things, there is no clear authority on the "right" way to feed, bathe, or parent your child.

I doubt the lawsuit over the ingredients in the J&J products will amount to much.  The ingredients present (including formaldehyde AND 1,4-dioxane) are not only found in thousands of commercial products and safe at the low levels in which they are present, but formaldehyde is ubiquitous in the environment and metabolized quickly by the body.

I liked the post that the dermatology PA put out about the products she recommended because it was based on her experience in a clinic with a lot of kids.  I agree with her experience and recommend using hydrating and fragrance-free products on infants whenever you can.  But your pediatrician is a great source of info, too, and they can help you navigate a lot of these questions.

2 years TTC with 5 losses, 1 year recovering, 6 months applying for adoption approval, and almost a year waiting for a placement. Then, a miracle BFP at age 36!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageColoRxGirl:

I look at this issue the same as other parenting issues - it's mostly a matter of preference and convenience for a lot of parents.

Some parents don't vaccinate because of risks they perceive to be associated with the ingredients of a vaccine or the biological product itself.  Others feel that the risk of adverse event is much lower than the risk of contracting the illness the vaccine prevents.  Some parents are hesitant to introduce solid foods at an early age and, when they do, choose only organic or all-natural products.  Other parents are perfectly OK with feeding rice cereal in a bottle at 4 months and spooning Gerber out of a jar after that.

It's all about what you're comfortable with for your family.  Like a PP mentioned, you have to do the research and come up with your own plan.  For the vast majority of these things, there is no clear authority on the "right" way to feed, bathe, or parent your child.

I doubt the lawsuit over the ingredients in the J&J products will amount to much.  The ingredients present (including formaldehyde AND 1,4-dioxane) are not only found in thousands of commercial products and safe at the low levels in which they are present, but formaldehyde is ubiquitous in the environment and metabolized quickly by the body.

I liked the post that the dermatology PA put out about the products she recommended because it was based on her experience in a clinic with a lot of kids.  I agree with her experience and recommend using hydrating and fragrance-free products on infants whenever you can.  But your pediatrician is a great source of info, too, and they can help you navigate a lot of these questions.

Thank you, makes lots of sense. :)

• I will not be using any Johnson's (or Aveeno) products.  I bought all Mustela products and will also be using California Baby.  Safe and natural.  As far as diapers...I bought the Pampers for now and will see.  I  will be making my own baby food (like I did for DD). 
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • imagerochella:

Yeah, but to me it doesn't matter if people want to feed their kid all organic and never let a single mass-produced product touch their precious child's head - it's their money. 

I don't think that's at all comparable to people who would rather their kid get polio, rubella, measles, or small pox than vaccinate.  To me, those people are just selfish, or extraordinarily misinformed. 

You may be misinformed of the vaccinations.  It is a personal choice of what parents would like to have for their children, how much and on what time frame.  I don't think any parent would rather have their child have polio or measles or mumps, but you can't argue with the fact that there are TOO MANY vaccinations given in too short of a period of time.  I mean Chickenpox?  Come on...did any of us have a major problem from chicken pox?  Ok, uncomfortable, etc for a few days I suppose.  Heck, who can remember that far back.  I don't want to get flamed, but like all other choices that parents have to make, this is another personal and often times religious choice.  While it is not a religious choice with us, we are carefully researching vaccinations due to the fact that DH is adopted and we have NO WAY of knowing his medical history and if certain things are in his medical history, then vaccinations would not be recommended.  We are being cautious and doing our research to find out what the best choice is for us and our child.  Just like some people breastfeed and some choose formula, it is a personal choice, not something that is selfish or uninformed... 

• Baby food..hmmm..this website is why I plan on getting a puree machine to make fresh fruits and vegetable meals for our babies.

https://www.envirolaw.org/documents/ProductsTestedforLeadFINAL.pdf

I suggest everyone look at this website if you really want to know whats in the 'food' we buy for our babies.  Just food for thought. Ultimately it's up to us to protect our kids. We all make choices, and none are better than the rest because it's OUR choice.

• I generally stay away from chemical-laden things (we use hippie house cleaners, don't eat processed food - though you got me at the diapers - when DS wears disposables, we just use Target brand, heh heh), so I'm not going to expose my kids to chemicals, too. The way I see it, if we now know that everyday products we use have chemicals in them, why keep using them? There's a reason that the gov't promoted anti-smoking initiatives and asbestos is now banned...

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"