Natural Birth

When to go to the hospital?

So, I've been having these contractions for about two hours.. They are about 4-6 minutes apart now, but not super painful. I can still talk through them and I just don't feel ready to go yet. This is my first time and I'd like to labor at home as long as possible. Looking for any sort of advice on this.. Thanks ladies.. = )

Re: When to go to the hospital?

• If it were me, I'd wait until I had to really focus to get through the contractions.  But it all depends on what you're comfortable with, how far the hospital is from your house, etc.  

Good luck! :) 

• How far are you from the hospital? That makes a little difference as to when you leave.

My Bradley instructor said 4 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute, for one hour and/or very serious emotional signpost.

Yay! Good luck momma!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The hospital is only 6 minutes away, so really short car ride.. Just doesn't feel like they are strong enough for me to go yet. But then again, I'm not sure what that would feel like.. Stick out tongue
  • imageJulietBair:
    The hospital is only 6 minutes away, so really short car ride.. Just doesn't feel like they are strong enough for me to go yet. But then again, I'm not sure what that would feel like.. Stick out tongue

Awesome! You're super close.

I'd stay home for a while longer and see how you feel. Try to get some rest, get a snack and stay hydrated.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was 7 min. from the hospital with DS and think I went in a little too early at 5 cm and they didn't like how "slow" things were going.  

You are typing on the boards between contractions, so obviously it is still too soon!  :) 

It also depends on your hospital and if you will be hooked up to things or be able to get in a tub, etc. in my opinion.  Honestly next time I'd probably wait until I felt like I was nearing transition (shakes, puking, very little breaks) if I didn't have to travel so far (going over an hour for a VBAC this time). 

So hard to say b/c everybody progresses differently.  Can't wait to hear how things go though!

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd wait until you have to really breathe through them and be focused, good luck momma!
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• I agree, wait until you have to focus and can't talk through the contractions, at the very least.  Have a wonderful birth!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagechicsub:

I was 7 min. from the hospital with DS and think I went in a little too early at 5 cm and they didn't like how "slow" things were going.  

You are typing on the boards between contractions, so obviously it is still too soon!  :) 

It also depends on your hospital and if you will be hooked up to things or be able to get in a tub, etc. in my opinion.  Honestly next time I'd probably wait until I felt like I was nearing transition (shakes, puking, very little breaks) if I didn't have to travel so far (going over an hour for a VBAC this time). 

So hard to say b/c everybody progresses differently.  Can't wait to hear how things go though!

Ha ha.. I was kind of thinking that! Thanks for all the advice ladies.. I'll keep you all posted. I just hope they keep going, I am really ready to meet this little man.. = )

• Good luck!  
    formerly *Abby*
    BFP 10/05/09 - natural m/c 10/22/09... BFP 07/18/2010 - My BFP Chart - Due March 29, 2011
    My Pregnancy Blog
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    "You are the best thing, that's ever been mine." - Taylor Swift, "Mine"
    Labor Buddy to leneae10 and kilissa
  • w/DD I also did not think that they were that bad so I waited it out.  (it's been 9 years so I do not remember how far apart they were or how long).  The hospital was a good 20-25 min ride from where I lived.  When I got there I was already 4 cm, but still feeling pretty good.

Good luck to you! 

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • I would go now, just because with my first, I never got to the point with my contractions where I couldn't walk or talk through them, even in transition. And I barely made it in time Crying
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • imageJulietBair:
    So, I've been having these contractions for about two hours.. They are about 4-6 minutes apart now, but not super painful. I can still talk through them and I just don't feel ready to go yet. This is my first time and I'd like to labor at home as long as possible. Looking for any sort of advice on this.. Thanks ladies.. = )

Listen to your body. Trust in your instincts.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"