April 2011 Moms

On the Verge of Getting Evicted.... (VENT)

So we moved into this new apartment Sept 1st and within a week of being here we got verbal warning that one of our two dogs was barking too much.  So we bought one of those fancy expensive bark collers, which helped a little, but now the other dog is acting up.

We had to move into this building (24 units) because the apartment we we're in was in a bad neighbourhood and the size of a tin can...

I do like our new place but tonight we got another warning (this time written) So in 6 weeks  we have gotten two notices... next notice will be eviction.  (They only have to give three)

Its just sooo hard to find anything that allows dogs ..  Here I am all hormonal and trying to keep it together... Looks like me and DH will be moving Dec 1st.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: On the Verge of Getting Evicted.... (VENT)

• There are the electric shock bark collars and citronella ones that spray a citronella/water solution in your dog's face if he/she barks. I don't know if this will help.

My dog Emily Jane almost got me evicted once, and the bark collar (electrical) solved the problem. I'm always BROKE, so I know this isn't a practical solution, but is there a doggie daycare nearby? Maybe if they played with other pups a few days a week while you're at work, it might help.

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ...or maybe they are dogs who would be entertained by the KONG toys stuffed with peanut butter.
    MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the advice sooo far...

We have a shock coller... its not working (lol)

I dont work anymore so there is no need for doggy dare care... They bark regardless.

The solution seems to be buying a home... But we are unable to do that right now... Ugh So I dont know ... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would talk to your landlord.  Maybe if you explain that you are trying to solve the problem, they will be more understanding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker _MG_0566-2 - Copy (2)
  • We have the bark collar that squirts the lemon mixture into our pups face anytime he barks.  I think we paid like $30 for it, and found it at Walmart.  It works wonders with our pup!  We hardly even turn it on when we put it on him anymore, just because he has learned not to bark when he's wearing it. 

But I agree that actually talking to your landlord may help?  

• if you just moved, maybe they're having some trouble adjusting? When we moved, our english bulldog needed to go on prozak to calm his nerves until he settled in. He was a wreck (actually started when my husband left for training) and the downers made him calm down so he wasn't physically ill and barking/crying/pacing 100% of the time. Just an option, and a couple months of drugs is less expensive than moving again and paying deposits and all of that.  The electric bark collar didn't work for us either, since the problem was much more than barking.

ETA: Is it the noise from neighbors, etc?  You could try playing music (not loud enough to create another reason for complaints) to make it so the other noises aren't as big of a deal.

• We nipped this in the bud with our puppy with a squirt bottle full of water.  When he started barking, he would get squirted, and if you're home with during the day (I don't work either), then you should be able to resolve the issue fairly quickly as long as you're consistent... good luck with your pups!  It should be a fairly easy issue to fix without having to move.
    Stephanie Hsu
  • One crucial thing I have learned from having & training dogs since I was 12 years old is that a good dog is a tired dog.  Are your dogs getting enough exercise?  Is there a park close by or within driving distance where you can take your dogs and they can let loose?

Some dogs need time to adjust to their new places.  It sounds like yours are in need of some mental stimulation.  Buy lots of dog treats and start doing obedience exercises in your living room.  Give them treats & praise only when they do as you ask....that's the NILF method (Nothing In Life is Free). 

If you need any more tips, feel free to PM me...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageITGurl0626:

One crucial thing I have learned from having & training dogs since I was 12 years old is that a good dog is a tired dog.  Are your dogs getting enough exercise?  Is there a park close by or within driving distance where you can take your dogs and they can let loose?

This.  It's the first thing I thought of as well.  We have to walk our dog for 30 minutes every morning and evening or else she's very active.  If she gets her exercise she's an angel.  Plus, walking is good for dog owners too!  :)

• PPs have given you some great suggestions.  In case you do get evicted, can you rent a house instead of an apartment?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Blah that really sucks.

This is the reason I don't have pets lol. Being a renter it's damn near impossible to find rentals that allow pets.

Can you perhaps rent a house?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Bribe the neighbors.  If they are the ones making the complaints, walk over there with your pregnant belly and a plate of cookies.  Tell them to call instead of the landlord when they have a problem.  Good luck.  If that doesn't work I hate to hear their complaints about a crying baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"