Baby Names

Thoughts on combo-name "Merrick?"

Hi everyone! I mistakenly promised Daddy-to-be that he could name baby if it was a boy, and I would choose if it were a girl. We've got a little while to go before we find out the sex, but he has decided on "Merrick," a family name (Scottish). He's announced it to his family and everything.

I don't dislike the name altogether, but the problem is that even though it's a family name, to me it sounds like a "ghetto" combination of our names (Maya and Eric)!!

Any thoughts out there on this? Similar situations?

-I'm just hoping it'll be a girl so I can have my "Eve" =)

Re: Thoughts on combo-name "Merrick?"

• I love the meaning of Merrick (ruler of the sea) but think the nn "Merry" for a boy is pretty feminine, which is my only drawback about the name

I see the ghetto combo now that you mention it, but wouldn't have thought that if you didn't point it out! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love it, especially since it's a family name, but sadly I do think it would be a little weird since by no fault of your own it happens to be your names combined. Your friends saying "We're going to Maya & Eric's to see baby Merrick" for example. Ugh, sorry it's a little weird, but I WANT to love it for you. Maybe use it as a middle name and choose something simple like John for the FN? John Merrick, Thomas Merrick, etc.?

• Loading the player...
  • I don't like it, sorry. It's a brand of dog food so that's my first association with it. Maybe you can use it as a mn since it's a family name?
  • I knew a little girl named Merrick when I was a teacher.  I think it's kind of cute and I almost lean towards it being for a boy.  I love that it's Scottish.  I might have to put it on my list.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think it is a terrible name, but I automatically think of the dog food.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker _MG_0566-2 - Copy (2)
  • I love the name (and am familiar with it).

However, with you being Maya and Eric I think it's weird and I wouldn't be able to do it.

EDD with #4  01-20-14
    Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

• The name combo doesn't bother me. If people ask how you came up with the name, the answer is "it's an old family name".

If you tell people, "well, my name is maya, his is eric" then that's different.

However, it is a pet food. That's all I can think of :) 

photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • Yeah, "Maya, Eric and Merrick" does sound pretty cheesy to me. I like the idea of using it as an MN.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imagelovelyTX:

I love it, especially since it's a family name, but sadly I do think it would be a little weird since by no fault of your own it happens to be your names combined. Your friends saying "We're going to Maya & Eric's to see baby Merrick" for example. Ugh, sorry it's a little weird, but I WANT to love it for you. Maybe use it as a middle name and choose something simple like John for the FN? John Merrick, Thomas Merrick, etc.?

AAAAAH! Don't do that, OP. John Merrick was the name of the elephant man in the movie (his first name IRL was Joseph).

I think the name is fine. The only thing it has from your name is the M. I think people might see the rhyminess to Eric, but I don't think they'll see it as a combo name, especially if you say it's an old family name as PP suggested. And it certainly doesn't strike me as ghetto, in fact quite the opposite. .

• I don't care for it just because it rhymes with your DH's name.  And it makes me think of the dog food....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Merrick really just makes me think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I had a female student named Merrick...she was such a sweetie.  I don't like it for a boy though.

• imagePythia1022:

Hi everyone! I mistakenly promised Daddy-to-be that he could name baby if it was a boy, and I would choose if it were a girl. We've got a little while to go before we find out the sex, but he has decided on "Merrick," a family name (Scottish). He's announced it to his family and everything.

I don't dislike the name altogether, but the problem is that even though it's a family name, to me it sounds like a "ghetto" combination of our names (Maya and Eric)!!

Any thoughts out there on this? Similar situations?

-I'm just hoping it'll be a girl so I can have my "Eve" =)

LOL It does sound like a combo name, but I really like the name. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. He really seems to like the name and you did tell him he could name the boy. Maybe cross your fingers for a girl? Really hard? 

• Thanks for the input everyone =)

We agreed that Merrick could be his formal name, but we've come up with a nickname that we both love, should baby be a boy!

• imagePythia1022:

Thanks for the input everyone =)

We agreed that Merrick could be his formal name, but we've come up with a nickname that we both love, should baby be a boy!

What is it?!

Merry? J/K

Ricky?

• Ahaha nooo, we decided "Bear" as a nickname. It's macho but cute at the same time, and most importantly we BOTH love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"