Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Vitamin Questions (and a mini vent)

Hey ladies, are you still taking your prenatal vitamins?  I know this seems like a silly question, but I stopped taking them before my D&C last week (which I FINALLY stopped bleeding from, whoo hoo!) and  I am wondering if I should start them back up again, just take folic acid, or it doesn't really matter.  Hopefully we will be able to TTC in the next two months or so, just curious what you all are doing.

Also, my mini vent, it feels like everyone on the 12-24 board is getting KU'd, and while I am really, really, very, very happy for them, it's getting harder for me to be on that board.  Not really a vent, just a sad feeling that I am having trouble being over there.

Re: Vitamin Questions (and a mini vent)

• I am still taking my Target brand prenatal vitamins (plus extra Folic Acid because baby Jack had an NTD).

It can't hurt to keep taking them, even if you don't plan on TTC for awhile. I see it as a daily multivitamin anyway. It makes me feel better.

Baby Blog
    BFP#1 5.27.10 DS became an angel at 21 weeks on 9.22.10
    BFP#2 4.16.11 Healthy baby girl born 12.14.11
    BFP#3 9.3.12 A healthy, bouncing baby SISTER on the way! EDD 5.12.13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My doctor told me to keep taking them if we planned on TTC any time soon.  It's really important to have enough folic acid in your body for the first few weeks of pregnancy- even before you know you're pregnant. 

And I know what you mean about the 12-24 board.  I was on the 24+ board, and it's a lot of questions about siblings and tickers.  I haven't been on there very much because it's difficult for me to see all that.

• Loading the player...
  • My doctor also told me to keep taking them. She knew we were going to TTC again soon, but also said that there's "no harm in taking them just because" (and "everyone should be on a multivitamin" anyway). 

I have been taking this prenatal, which has 800 mcg of folic acid. I did not ask my doctor because I didn't think about it at the time, but is this enough folic acid? I also take a fish oil pill for DHA.

ETA: Nevermind. My trusty friend Google confirmed this was enough FA. I hate when people ask easily Google-able questions, so shame on me!

• I am still taking my Walgreens PNV plus a fish oil for DHA.  I used to take a One a Day Women's multivitamin before TTC so I figured I'd keep taking the PNV & fish oil and get an extra boost of Folic Acid to boot.  With so many things that are out of our control I think mentally & emotionally for me, taking the PNV is one thing that  I "can" control!  GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes I am still taking mine. At my 2wk follow up we discussed when we can start trying again and my dr told me that he wants me to keep taking them since we will be starting TTC here in the next month.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • My doctor told me to keep taking prenatals because having a m/c takes a lot out of you.  You need the vitamins to get ready to TTC.  I've been taking the prenatal plus an extra folic acid supliment.  My co-worker found a study that showed extra folic acid helps you concieve.  I figure an extra 400 can only help. 
  • I had started taking them 3 months before we started TTC per my Dr.'s suggestion.  I've just kept with it because I figure it can't hurt, especially with all that my body is going through now.  Also we plan on TTC again as soon as we get the OK.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am feeling the same way about the 12-24 board.  It's also happening with close friends IRL.  I'm happy for them but it's a sad reminder.  I feel guilty feeling like this, like I'm being selfish even though I know it's normal. 

I stopped the vitamins during the week of my D&E but started again after the op.  I am actually on super dose and take a buch of Folic Acid since my baby had a major birth defect. 

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyName Ticker
  • Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the answers!  I am going to start taking my vitamins tonight, it's been a week, so I'm ready to get back on that wagon - I know it's not that big of a deal, but I feel like it's the first step towards TTC again =)
  • imageolivia_eve:

My doctor told me to keep taking them if we planned on TTC any time soon.  It's really important to have enough folic acid in your body for the first few weeks of pregnancy- even before you know you're pregnant.   

This.  I took a few weeks off after the d&c but started back up last week since we are TTC in the coming months.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. -James 1:17- Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *TTC since May 2010* *M/C on 8.31.10 at 7wks* *D&C on 9.10.10* *Round #1 of Clomid started 7.7.11* *Round #2 of Clomid started 8.4.11* *Hysteroscopy 9.9.11* *UNEXPLAINED INFERTILITY* *IVF November/December 2011* *ER 12/5, 3DET 12/8* *BFP 12/22!!!* *Miracle Baby BOY born 8.31.2012!!!!*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"