1st Trimester

Drinking during pregnancy is good for baby

Study: Light drinking may be good for unborn baby

Study: Light drinking during pregnancy is fine

Fotolia_8651391_XS.jpg
Fotolia
Relax and have a glass, mama. It's good for you.

According to a study released today in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, mothers who drink lightly do not increase the risk of socioemotional problems or cognitive deficits in their children up to age 5.

In fact, researchers found children born to mothers who drank lightly actually did better than their cohorts born to teetotal mothers. Children born to light drinkers were less likely to have hyperactivity and difficulties while scoring higher on cognitive tests. According to the abstract:

Boys and girls born to light drinkers were less likely to have high total difficulties (for boys 6.6% vs 9.6%, OR=0.67, for girls 4.3% vs 6.2%, OR=0.69) and hyperactivity (for boys 10.1% vs 13.4%, OR=0.73, for girls 5.5% vs 7.6%, OR=0.71) scores compared with those born to mothers in the not-in-pregnancy group. These differences were attenuated on adjustment for confounding and mediating factors. Boys and girls born to light drinkers had higher mean cognitive test scores compared with those born to mothers in the not-in-pregnancy group: for boys, naming vocabulary (58 vs 55), picture similarities (56 vs 55) and pattern construction (52 vs 50), for girls naming vocabulary (58 vs 56) and pattern construction (53 vs 52). Differences remained statistically significant for boys in naming vocabulary and picture similarities.

Light drinking was defined as one or two drinks per week or per occasion.

Smoking however is still completely bad for you.

"I

Re: Drinking during pregnancy is good for baby

• Oh, TTT. Stirring the pot today, are we? 

(BTW, I agree, red wine is no biggie in pregnancy. The problem is that Americans, including myself, have no idea what "moderation" really means.) 

• Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders are 100% preventable if a woman does not drink alcohol during pregnancy.  There is no known safe amount of alcohol to drink while pregnant.  There is also no safe time during pregnancy to drink and no safe kind of alcohol.

Source: the CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fasd/index.html

ETA: I don't really care what people do, it's their choice and their bodies. But it's hardly a clear cut issue. For me, not even close to the risk. It's nine lousy months, I can hold off.

• Loading the player...
  • PPC - I didn't know you were KU again - congratulations!!!

I guess my occasional glass of wine explains why Sam is so brilliant:Wink

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • When I was having pre-term labor with DS I finally gave myself a little (and I mean, little) red wine and it actually helped.  Better than the meds they gave me.  I wouldn't drink in 1st tri--but I think especially in early 3rd tri it's ok on occassion.  Although I have heard that too late in the pregnancy can hurt going in to labor (as in stops it)
  • imageepphd:

PPC - I didn't know you were KU again - congratulations!!!

I guess my occasional glass of wine explains why Sam is so brilliant:Wink

Thanks!!

Sam is so freaking adorable! And brilliant too, I am sure :-)  

• imageambrandau2:

Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders are 100% preventable if a woman does not drink alcohol during pregnancy.  There is no known safe amount of alcohol to drink while pregnant.  There is also no safe time during pregnancy to drink and no safe kind of alcohol.

There is no known safe amount of alcohol to drink while pregnant.   There is now. According to this study, a safe amount is about a glass a week. 

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • TTT, I missed you! (old nestie/bumpie, new name) Wink
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image*LisaFrank*:
    TTT, I missed you! (old nestie/bumpie, new name) Wink

Hmmm I suspected this.

I am very curious as to who you are.

Unless of course you are trying to go incognito.  

• imageepphd:
    imageambrandau2:

Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders are 100% preventable if a woman does not drink alcohol during pregnancy.  There is no known safe amount of alcohol to drink while pregnant.  There is also no safe time during pregnancy to drink and no safe kind of alcohol.

There is no known safe amount of alcohol to drink while pregnant.   There is now. According to this study, a safe amount is about a glass a week. 

I guess you should go ahead and alert the CDC then. 

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• imagePattypoundcake:

image*LisaFrank*:

Hmmm I suspected this.

Incognito, yes.  Do I know you? Most definitely Stick out tongue

• imageepphd:
    imageambrandau2:

What is "about" a glass a week, though? That's just not really conclusive enough for me.

• FAS is always realted to "heavy" drinking during pregnancy.  I personally stopped drinking during 1st tri, but I have no problem with a glass of wine every week or two starting soon.

It was fine for our mothers to drink during pregnancy and most of us turned out just fine.  I do understand that some people can't have just one glass or don't understand moderation so stopping completely makes the most sense for them.

• imageambrandau2:

ETA: I don't really care what people do, it's their choice and their bodies. But it's hardly a clear cut issue. For me, not even close to the risk. It's nine lousy months, I can hold off.

This is kind of like saying car accidents are 100% preventable by not getting into or driving a car. Well, yeah...

At any rate, there is currently zero evidence that light drinking is bad for baby and there is now some evidence that light drinking is actually good for baby, so I hope the "OMG WHY CAN'T YOU JUST NOT DRINK DON'T YOU LOVE YOUR BABY??" can stop.

"I
  • imagePattypoundcake:

Oh, TTT. Stirring the pot today, are we?

Big Smile
    "I
  • imageSarahL77:
    imageepphd:
    imageambrandau2:

I think it is important to understand that the CDC is making the recommendation based on (a) our historical inability to comprehend the notion of "moderation," and (b) a lack of studies monitoring women who have occasional small servings of alcohol. This is a study that does just that. 

There are no studies that demonstrate harm to fetuses when pregnant women have occasional small servings of alcohol. Conversely, there are numerous studies demonstrating serious harm from frequent consumption of alcohol or occasional binge drinking. This is why the CDC makes its recommendation.

Also - the definition of a small serving is given in the study - it's not at all vague.

• For all those who have "heard" red wine is OK- why red and not white?

• My Dr. actually recommends the occasional glass of wine in the 2nd/3rd trimesters. She believes it helps reduce the stress level in Mom leading up to delivery.  God, I love that woman.

• Interesting.

My last OB was completely okay with one small glass of wine per week in the 3rd tri.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What I find funny with this debate is that studies have found morning sickness is your bodies way of protecting the fetus from toxins (https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356638,00.html) before I knew I was pregnant, I had a small glass of champagne, followed by a lot of food, I was nauseus after, and puked, and all that came up was the alcohol. I take it as my body rejecting it. But then again, it is the first trimester...

I'm not going to drink now that I now- but I don't frown on women who have the occasional drink while pg. If I use mouthwash with alcohol or there's a little in my food at a restaurant I'm not going to worry about it. 

• imageMrsDL:
    For all those who have "heard" red wine is OK- why red and not white?

Red wine has been shown to have positive effects on the heart. I think that might have something to do with the reasoning behind it??

ETA: My doctor just said any old kind of wine was fine. Stay away from booze and beer, obvs.

• Man, I can't wait until alcohol sounds good. I feel like I've had a constant hangover for about 4 weeks so at this point, I'm never drinking again :)  I had a glass of red wine/beer here and there in my 3rd tri with DS and I'll probably do the same with this one...if I ever feel better.
    **Baby #3 is on the way!**
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • As someone who works with FASE kids all day long, there is NO way I would even chance it.  Knowing what we don't know about brain development and the effects of alcohol, how could anybody be that careless to WILLINGLY partake in an activity that could have permanent, life altering implications for your child.  I completely disagree that any alcohol (red wine) is safe.
    We must be the change we wish to see in the world. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedarmca:
     before I knew I was pregnant, I had a small glass of champagne, followed by a lot of food, I was nauseus after, and puked, and all that came up was the alcohol. I take it as my body rejecting it.  

You're conflating correlation and causation.  Also, I'm curious about how you know it was alcohol.  You didn't test your puke, did you?  Do you really think your body is capable of separating individual ingredients and only getting rid of what it doesn't want?

• As someone who works with FAE kids all day long, there is NO way I would even chance it.  Knowing what we don't know about brain development and the effects of alcohol, how could anybody be that careless to WILLINGLY partake in an activity that could have permanent, life altering implications for your child.  I completely disagree that any alcohol (red wine) is safe.
    We must be the change we wish to see in the world. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Umm...tea party? Please tell me you aren't serious? I'm going to assume the badges are a joke.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"--Eleanor Roosevelt Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imagedaisytoad:
    As someone who works with FAE kids all day long, there is NO way I would even chance it.  Knowing what we don't know about brain development and the effects of alcohol, how could anybody be that careless to WILLINGLY partake in an activity that could have permanent, life altering implications for your child.  I completely disagree that any alcohol (red wine) is safe.

You disagree based on what? Just how you feel? Or do you have some research to back it up?

And, tons of things you willingly partake in can have "permanent, life altering implications for your child." Like, driving in a car (and getting in an accident).

I didn't drink while pregnant, and I more than likely won't in the future. Thats my perogative. But the logic fails in this thread are why I probably, also, won't come back to 1st tri. I think my head will explode.

• imagedaisytoad:
    As someone who works with FASE kids all day long, there is NO way I would even chance it.  Knowing what we don't know about brain development and the effects of alcohol, how could anybody be that careless to WILLINGLY partake in an activity that could have permanent, life altering implications for your child.  I completely disagree that any alcohol (red wine) is safe.

So there's no amount of scientific evidence that would convince you that light drinking during pregnancy is OK?

How is it careless to do something that has scientifically shown to be safe?

And if light drinking during pregnancy is not only not harmful but is actually beneficial, isn't it actually riskier NOT to drink because you're risking losing those benefits? Shouldn't we be criticizing and judging the women who *don't* drink a glass of wine each week because they're denying their child the benefits of light drinking and dooming them to hyperactivity disorders? 

"I
  • imagedarmca:

What I find funny with this debate is that studies have found morning sickness is your bodies way of protecting the fetus from toxins (https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356638,00.html) before I knew I was pregnant, I had a small glass of champagne, followed by a lot of food, I was nauseus after, and puked, and all that came up was the alcohol. I take it as my body rejecting it. But then again, it is the first trimester...

I'm not going to drink now that I now- but I don't frown on women who have the occasional drink while pg. If I use mouthwash with alcohol or there's a little in my food at a restaurant I'm not going to worry about it. 

It's one article - one study - which looks at correlation - not causation at all in this study.

I was on my second glass of WHITE wine when I decided to take my pg test - BFP. Took a second test and had a few more sips waiting. Unfortunately my body had no problem with it. I really hope I'm not broken or my blastocyst wasn't showing early signs of alcoholism.

• imageSibil:
    imagedarmca:
     before I knew I was pregnant, I had a small glass of champagne, followed by a lot of food, I was nauseus after, and puked, and all that came up was the alcohol. I take it as my body rejecting it.  

You're conflating correlation and causation.  Also, I'm curious about how you know it was alcohol.  You didn't test your puke, did you?  Do you really think your body is capable of separating individual ingredients and only getting rid of what it doesn't want?

Well, I had a glass of pink champagne followed by veggie sushi, 3 small plates of nacho dip with cheese and ground beef in it,  cheese and crackers, and some date squares. Then we drove home and about 3 hours after the champagne, I vomited and it was a pure pink liquid and taste exactly like the champagne. I don't know how my body did it, but none of the food came up- just a pink liquid that left an alcohol after-taste in my mouth.

I'm not making a statement or judging anyone who has a glass of wine while pregnant (because even if I didn't know- I did too). I just found it interesting that it happened like that and was sharing my story.

• imageMrsDL:
    imagedarmca:

What I find funny with this debate is that studies have found morning sickness is your bodies way of protecting the fetus from toxins (https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356638,00.html) before I knew I was pregnant, I had a small glass of champagne, followed by a lot of food, I was nauseus after, and puked, and all that came up was the alcohol. I take it as my body rejecting it. But then again, it is the first trimester...

It's one article - one study - which looks at correlation - not causation at all in this study.

I was on my second glass of WHITE wine when I decided to take my pg test - BFP. Took a second test and had a few more sips waiting. Unfortunately my body had no problem with it. I really hope I'm not broken or my blastocyst wasn't showing early signs of alcoholism.

The only thing that made me sick during my pregnancy were brussel spouts. Seriously. I guess they are toxic and pregnant women should avoid them.

• imagedarmca:
    imageSibil:
    imagedarmca:

Well, I had a glass of pink champagne followed by veggie sushi, 3 small plates of nacho dip with cheese and ground beef in it,  cheese and crackers, and some date squares. Then we drove home and about 3 hours after the champagne, I vomited and it was a pure pink liquid and taste exactly like the champagne. I don't know how my body did it, but none of the food came up- just a pink liquid that left an alcohol after-taste in my mouth.

I'm not making a statement or judging anyone who has a glass of wine while pregnant (because even if I didn't know- I did too). I just found it interesting that it happened like that and was sharing my story.

You might want to learn a little bit about biology and digestion, then. 

• image*LisaFrank*:
    imagePattypoundcake:

image*LisaFrank*:

Hmmm I suspected this.

Incognito, yes.  Do I know you? Most definitely Stick out tongue

Grrr!!!

Oh and I think by "a glass" they mean 6 oz.  

• I'd heard it was wine. I'm not surprised, I had a glass a few times a week in my last tri with DS and he's pretty smart. Not saying everyone should drink, or anything. Just my own 2 cents.
  • imageSouthSideDrea:
    image*LisaFrank*:

imageMrsDL:

Red wine has been shown to have positive effects on the heart. I think that might have something to do with the reasoning behind it??

ETA: My doctor just said any old kind of wine was fine. Stay away from booze and beer, obvs.

Really?  Beer has the same amount of alcohol as wine, obvs.

Good point. I don't really know the reasons, just throwing my .02 out there.  

• imageepphd:
    imageSarahL77:
    imageepphd:
    imageambrandau2:

I think it is important to understand that the CDC is making the recommendation based on (a) our historical inability to comprehend the notion of "moderation," and (b) a lack of studies monitoring women who have occasional small servings of alcohol. This is a study that does just that. 

There are no studies that demonstrate harm to fetuses when pregnant women have occasional small servings of alcohol. Conversely, there are numerous studies demonstrating serious harm from frequent consumption of alcohol or occasional binge drinking. This is why the CDC makes its recommendation.

Also - the definition of a small serving is given in the study - it's not at all vague.

THIS!! epphd is 100% correct!

I don't drink at all, ever, because I am allergic to beer and wine and don't like the taste of hard alcohol.

When I was in the hospital pg with DD for preterm labor the perinatologist suggested I have a small glass of wine a night in addition to taking my medication every 6 hours. He suggested with his hands about an inch deep of wine. I told him I couldn't because my face will swell up like and look like the klumps. Instead I just took medication until 36 weeks. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedarmca:
    imageSibil:
    imagedarmca:

Well, I had a glass of pink champagne followed by veggie sushi, 3 small plates of nacho dip with cheese and ground beef in it,  cheese and crackers, and some date squares. Then we drove home and about 3 hours.

This particular mix of food and booze would have made me vomit before I was pregnant. Goes back to the correlation vs causation thing.

• imageSouthSideDrea:
    image*LisaFrank*:

imageMrsDL:

Really?  Beer has the same amount of alcohol as wine, obvs.

It doesn't have the same antioxidant benefits.

Beer is better while breastfeeding though. Dark beer can help keep up supply. All about the "other" stuff in it.  

• Well, if we want to use the study, that actual findings were:

Conclusions At age 5 years cohort members born to mothers who drank up to 1?2 drinks per week or per occasion during pregnancy were not at increased risk of clinically relevant behavioural difficulties or cognitive deficits compared with children of mothers in the not-in-pregnancy group.

That is, it says light drinking isn't bad for the kid, not that it's good for the kid. Scientists aren't as ballsy as bloggers.

Also, "per week or per occasion" implies most people drank less than 1-2 drinks per week. They would have counted someone that drank at a Christmas party and a New Years in the drinking group.

• Hmm...I guess if the bump is full of tea baggers and fire departments are socialist I'm on the wrong site. Sorry can't really get over it when my state is trying to vote for a nut job ex-witch.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"--Eleanor Roosevelt Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imagetokenhoser:

Well, if we want to use the study, that actual findings were:

Conclusions At age 5 years cohort members born to mothers who drank up to 1?2 drinks per week or per occasion during pregnancy were not at increased risk of clinically relevant behavioural difficulties or cognitive deficits compared with children of mothers in the not-in-pregnancy group.

That is, it says light drinking isn't bad for the kid, not that it's good for the kid. Scientists aren't as ballsy as bloggers.

Also, "per week or per occasion" implies most people drank less than 1-2 drinks per week. They would have counted someone that drank at a Christmas party and a New Years in the drinking group.

Results Boys and girls born to light drinkers were less likely to have high total difficulties (for boys 6.6% vs 9.6%, OR=0.67, for girls 4.3% vs 6.2%, OR=0.69) and hyperactivity (for boys 10.1% vs 13.4%, OR=0.73, for girls 5.5% vs 7.6%, OR=0.71) scores compared with those born to mothers in the not-in-pregnancy group. These differences were attenuated on adjustment for confounding and mediating factors. Boys and girls born to light drinkers had higher mean cognitive test scores compared with those born to mothers in the not-in-pregnancy group: for boys, naming vocabulary (58 vs 55), picture similarities (56 vs 55) and pattern construction (52 vs 50), for girls naming vocabulary (58 vs 56) and pattern construction (53 vs 52). Differences remained statistically significant for boys in naming vocabulary and picture similarities.

"I
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"