Preemies

Are you giving LO the flu shot if so at actual or adjusted age, or not at all and why? thanks

Hello all,

My LO's 6 month appt is this Friday, and I know his pedi will ask me if I am going to give him the flu shot.  He is now 6 month actual but 4 months adjusted and I'm not sure if I should do it now at this visit or wait. 

I would appreciate your inputs.

kindly,

monica.

Re: Are you giving LO the flu shot if so at actual or adjusted age, or not at all and why? thanks

• LO got her flu shot at 6 months actual.  We had to go back for a booster too and last year the H1N1 was a separate shot so she actually got 4 shots.  

Normally I'd probably wait until adjusted if you are worried about it but with flu season coming up, I'd probably do it now.  Talk to pedi about it, maybe you can wait a month and split the difference if the flu hasn't started up in your area.

We didn't have any problems with it or any of her shots.  LO was a 27 weeker, so she got them at 6 month actual and 3 adjusted.  It was in February so the flu was still going around here.

• we went by actual age for all shots.
  • Loading the player...
  • We went for the six month checkup and the vaccine wasnt in yet. Besides him having his six month shots, and he also is suppossed to have his RSV shot as well  in November! I'm so undecided about giving him the flu shot as well. Dr said it was up to us....Did anyone have a preemie who was given the RSV shot and flu shot back to back???

• Actual. They got the 1st half and we're going back soon for the 2nd half.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FWIW the flu season seems to be kicking up a bit earlier than normal here. I live in MN, and I know there are confirmed cases in the twin cities already as of a couple of weeks ago. Last year I didn't remember hearing that like mid-late october.

• We'll go by actual. Pedi told us that the immune systems of preemies go by actual age, not adjusted.
  • Last year DD didn't get a flu shot because she was to young, although she did get the synasis (sp) shot every month until March. This year she will most likely get the flu shot on Friday at her 12 month appointment.

• DD got her flu shot yesterday (6 months actual, 4.5 adjusted) and she'll go back after a month to have the second shot.  Our pedi told us that they were starting to see a few cases of the flu already and did not want to put it off anymore.  He did put off her immunizations for 2 weeks because of ear infections. 
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageFisMom:
    We'll go by actual. Pedi told us that the immune systems of preemies go by actual age, not adjusted.

This - my pedi told me the same thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"