Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Where do you live?

We live in the Caribbean and have recently started talking about making a move to the US (probably in another year or so).  DH wants to move to Tampa because I have quite a bit of family there and we travel there a few times a year so he is familiar with the area and would feel comfortable there.  I, on the other hand, would like to move some where completely different so we can experience new things together and with LO.

Where we are is a very small island with not much to do in terms of parks, museums, etc.  I suppose I just want to go some where that DD will be exposed to different experiences...

Where do you live?  What's there to do?  Do you like it?

Re: Where do you live?

• We live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. In terms of raising a kid and having access to loads of activities and school options and parks it's great! But I've always wanted to move somewhere totally different, but we're stuck here because of dh's job. 

So to someone new it's a great city, but for someone who has been here my whole life I'd love to move on. 

• Im in Houston and theres TONS to do, housing market is definitely a buyers market right (as is everywhere else Im sure), but Houston's market is bery affordable, as is cost of living. Our beach isnt nearly as glamorous as the Bahamas, but Galveston (our beach city) is great for shopping.

The downside, crime (in some parts, not all), traffic (everywhere :-(, humidity, bugs...

We have all sorts of different areas too; areas that are completely Chinese, Korean, hispanic, Indian..to name a few. Meaning, all the resteraunts/stores/street signs are almost solely that ethnicity. Its pretty cool, its like several countries all in one big city.

There are also VERY rich parts (George Bush owns a house in one or 2 areas), medical center has some of the best hospitals in the country here.

ok, Im defintiely rambling and sound like a realtor...sorry...hope this helps though! 

• Loading the player...
  • I am in the D.C. metropolitan area.. in the burbs.  I love it.  Great school district, access to any activities museums, anything you can imagine.  2 hour flight to Tampa.  I am grateful for what's available to my family here.

Your DH is a family man responsible for you and LO.  I imagine he's feeling a big weight on his shoulders venturing into the unknown and keeping things together. 

FWIW, we fantacize about moving to the Caribbean all the time.  St.Lucia in particular.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In a small town in Pennsylvania north of Harrisburg called Halifax. It's nice and quite. Good school district, only about 100 kids per class instead of 1000 or so.  Very low crime rate, but there are petty thefts every now and then (breaking in to cars and stealing change/GPS/etc.  PA is nice. We have a little bit of everything. PA Grand Canyon, Gettysburg, Hershey (yes, the chocolate & park), Lake Erie, Poconos, zoos and amusment parks. There's more things to list but it's late and my brain is fried.  We're close enough to the beach, Baltimore and NYC but not places I would want to live personally but love seeing/visiting.

It's nice to have family/friends close to you, but I hear it's hard to find jobs in Florida, especially in this ecconomy.  Florida is really nice.  PA hits every season, Florida is like spring and summer year around usually.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I live in Southern California.  I have been here since I was born.  Other than being crazy expensive, it's a great place to live.  That said, I would move somewhere else in a minute, if only I could convince DH it was a good idea.
  • I've lived quite a few places over the past couple of years.  Boston area, Houston, Dallas, and now the middle of nowhere in Missouri.  Of all of those I would highly recommend the Boston area.  You'll get to experience the four seasons, tons of culture, always stuff to do, museums, parks, hiking, biking.  Skiing in the winter, beach in the summer.  I could go on and on.

I am curious what kind of jobs you guys have that gives you the freedom to move whereever you want (I'm jealous!).

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We live in Pasadena, Ca about 20 minutes out of LA and LOVE it here in So Cal. There is so much to do and it is a great place for us to raise our son. There are endless things to do here like beaches, public gardens and arboretums, libraries, Disneyland/Knotts/Universal/LA Zoo/LA Aquarium, parks, playgrounds, water parks. I could go on and on. LA is a really diverse city and chock full of things to do and the people are really nice. We pick a new place to explore every weekend. And you cant beat 80* year round

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I live in Nashville. There are a lot kid friendly things to do and events to go to but it is all starting to get a little old. I wish I could find different stuff to do with DS.
    image   image
  • I live in Maine and there's lots of things to do .....in the summer.  Unless you enjoy snowboarding/skiing you get cabin fever in the winter.  I would love to move somewhere warm, but ALLLLL of our family is here.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I live in NYC.  There's a ton to do in terms of parks, museums, sites, etc.  I have always loved the city to visit, hate it to live in.  DH is in graduate school here, so we'll stay for another year and a half or so until he graduates then we can't wait to get back to the suburbs.  We grew up in central NJ and love it there.  Easy access to the city without the zillion inconveniences and extra costs of living in the city.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jersey Shore, but not the area that was featured on MTV's Jersey Shore.

Towns around here are very different.There's more of a quaint beachy vibe. A lot of surfers and preps... no gorillas. lol

• image*sallymad*:

We live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. In terms of raising a kid and having access to loads of activities and school options and parks it's great! But I've always wanted to move somewhere totally different, but we're stuck here because of dh's job. 

So to someone new it's a great city, but for someone who has been here my whole life I'd love to move on. 

I live in the Twin Cities as well.  Out of curiosity, who is your photographer??  The pictures of your daughter are SUPER cute!  I'm looking for one in the area right now and can't find one I like for a decent price.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageannabean33:
    image*sallymad*:

We live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. In terms of raising a kid and having access to loads of activities and school options and parks it's great! But I've always wanted to move somewhere totally different, but we're stuck here because of dh's job. 

I live in the Twin Cities as well.  Out of curiosity, who is your photographer??  The pictures of your daughter are SUPER cute!  I'm looking for one in the area right now and can't find one I like for a decent price.

I think she is a photographer

• We live in Columbia, SC but have only been here two months and probably won't stay past law school. That being said, the zoo here is great and there are loads of outdoor things to do.

I'm from Houston and miss my family, but not the city. I've lived Downtown and would do that again if I didn't have kids. There is a fair amount of crime, but no more than any other big city. The children's museum is great and there are loads of mommy groups.

I would love to live in Austin, TX after law school. It is a very "green" city and openminded. Also a pretty "fit" city in terms of outdoor green areas in the city and access to water inside city limits.

• I grew up around Dayton, Ohio and currently live just south of Ann Arbor, Michigan.  We live in MI because of DH's job and it's nice with alot of things to do and places to visit, but I would be back in Ohio in a red hot minute!!! But I'm a home body and enjoy being close to my family and friends.  Either place is really nice and offers alot of places to visit, things to do, and new places to see.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"