Working Moms

Holey Mother - I just got rid of the maids!

I have been thinking about it for a long time and it is going to save us $600 a month (they came twice/month). And it was really a spit-n-shine.

I know - I am crazy. DH is now on bathroom(s) duty and I have the kitchen.  All else is fair game.

Re: Holey Mother - I just got rid of the maids!

• That was some expensive service!  I bet you could find someone on CL to do it for 1/3 the price if you still wanted the luxury.
  • I think it was more crazy that that is what they charged! What a great savings that is going to be!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow. That's expensive!! We pay $120 a month but then we have a small house (1500 sq feet, and I'm mostly concerned with the 750 on the main floor).
  • Yeah, I gotta say, you're braver than I am. We've had some sort of cleaning person since before DH and I moved in together (he hired one in surgical residency, back b/f the 80hr rule so at least someone would have time to clean his house, lol). But still, 600 for 2/month cleaning is insane. We get a thorough cleaning every other week for $60 right now (the most we've paid for other ppl is $80). I'm sure part of it is region, but it does sound like to some degree you were getting ripped off!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a situation similar (but not as expensive).  I just kept hunting until I found better maids for less.  You are braver than I am!

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• You are far braver than I! DSS was about to be called in before we hired our housekeeper. I'm with the others: shop around and see if you can find less expensive help. I know LA is pricey, but we spend $120 a month on a 1200 sq foot, one bathroom. There has to be someone who can do a little less, but still get the place clean.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • Yikes that was expensive,  I too got rid of my cleaners but it has been a couple of months.  I want to cry each time I think about spending my weekend cleaning. I got a quote and they wanted to charge more than what I want to pay so we are still looking. Good luck finding new cleaners.
  • Maybe you could just shop around? 
  • I have never had 'maids' and don't think I ever will...   Count your blessings that you can afford a payment like that!
  • yikes! Ours are 200/month, and i hate paying that much, but they do a good job and have been trustworthy so far. So we'll keep doing. I don't mind cleaning to be honest, but i'm lazy and i work a lot of weekends. SO when i'm off, i want to be off!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • that price is outrageous unless you live in a super big house and have them clean windows and do laundry every visit.

We live in a relatively HCOL (between DC and Baltimore) and have a 4 BR house and we pay 100/visit and they come every other week.  Its not a company or a service though - its a couple that have been working in our neighborhood for about 10 years and several of the other (older) ladies use them and recommended them - I would shop around for a better price.

FWIW - I don't think its that hard to clean and I don't even mind it, it was jsut a matter of finding the time to do it - and I was constantly stressed that I hadn't cleaned in X weeks/days, etc.  Having the cleaning lady on the schedule just makes me feel less anxious.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • They were charging you way too much! We have a lady who comes once every two weeks. She charges $60 each time she comes and she does a fairly good job (not perfect, but at that price I am not complaining). Our house is about 2500 sq ft.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The reason why it is so expensive is that I want someone licensed and bonded and can't find ANYONE cheaper who is.
  • I think you can afford to fly my housekeeper down twice a month, for that price! Lol!! We pay $200/ month and she cleans every week. I hope you find someone new really quickly!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Listen, I live in one of the most expensive areas of the country, we have a rather large house that I could never hope to keep clean by myself, and I'm paying less than you are!  I have a company that is licensed and bonded and they send 2 girls each time.  You definitely need to shop around.  There has to be something better in your area. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Mine just quit on me.  =(  DH and I cleaned the house yesterday (it needed it soooo badly) and spent the better part of the afternoon/evening doing it.  As much as I hate to pay for it (and I don't pay nearly as much as you do), I like spending the time with my kids more. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Yeah thats a bit much for 2 x's a month.
  • imageMustang Sally:
    Listen, I live in one of the most expensive areas of the country, we have a rather large house that I could never hope to keep clean by myself, and I'm paying less than you are!  I have a company that is licensed and bonded and they send 2 girls each time.  You definitely need to shop around.  There has to be something better in your area. 
    Believe me, I have looked. But I am still trying!
  • Have you posted on your local Nest/Knot/Bump board looking for recommendations?

We have a girl on our Nest Board who's mom runs a cleaning service and she's recommended her to several people. 

• Do people really still call cleaning ladies maids?  Maybe that is a regional thing, but it sounds so elitist to me.  Anyway, we got rid of our cleaning service a while back when the economy tanked, it took some getting used to, but we manage.  GL.
  • imageSpenjamins:
    The reason why it is so expensive is that I want someone licensed and bonded and can't find ANYONE cheaper who is.

Even so, that seems awfully high. Is your home over 3,000 sq. feet getting cleaned weekly?

• imageTMs1stBaby:
    Do people really still call cleaning ladies maids?  Maybe that is a regional thing, but it sounds so elitist to me.  Anyway, we got rid of our cleaning service a while back when the economy tanked, it took some getting used to, but we manage.  GL.

They call themselves maids. That's the name of the company. 

Kind of hypocritical since you use the term "nanny". You might reconsider that - you know, so you'll  be consistently non-elitist. Drinks

• imageLittleBabyC:

imageSpenjamins:
    The reason why it is so expensive is that I want someone licensed and bonded and can't find ANYONE cheaper who is.

Even so, that seems awfully high. Is your home over 3,000 sq. feet getting cleaned weekly?

No and every other week, basic cleaning. I can't find anyone cheaper unless I get someone undocumented.
  • imageSpenjamins:

imageTMs1stBaby:
    Do people really still call cleaning ladies maids?  Maybe that is a regional thing, but it sounds so elitist to me.  Anyway, we got rid of our cleaning service a while back when the economy tanked, it took some getting used to, but we manage.  GL.

They call themselves maids. That's the name of the company. 

Kind of hypocritical since you use the term "nanny". You might reconsider that - you know, so you'll  be consistently non-elitist. Drinks

Probably just regional differences.  Around here, I don't know anyone that uses the term maid unless referring to a full-time household employee.  I have friends that use 'Merry Maids' and they still refer to their cleaner as 'the cleaning woman'.

I had the same initial reaction when I saw you use the term maids, but I figured it was probably just different terminology in different parts of the country.

(and fwiw, around here at least, nanny is a standard word to use, unlike maid)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"