1st Trimester

Anyone else under a so called weight gain restriction?

My Dr told me at my appt yesterday that she would like me to keep my weight gain under 20 pounds during this pregnancy. I am by no means super overweight, just a bit chubby, but now I am stressing and shouldn't be.  I love my Dr and in a way I am glad she said that to me because my old Dr that I had with my DD never asked me keep my weight in check and I gained 80 pounds with her.

I feel the need to keep my calories to about 1200-1300 a day and do walk and have an elliptical, but sometimes no matter what you do, you gain! So far I feel like I have lost, but don't want to become obsessed with scale.

Anywho, anyone else feeling a bit stressed about it? I just want a healthy baby but I understand my Dr's reasons for me staying within a small weight gain. 20 pounds just seems out of reach! LOL

Heather

Re: Anyone else under a so called weight gain restriction?

• I don't know how "chubby" you are, but I was overweight with my 1st pregnancy and only gained about 18 lbs.  I didn't try at all, it just worked out that way.

Since having my DC, I've lost about 40 lbs (not including the 20 I gained from the pregnancy, so technically 60 lbs) and I'm still on the low end of "overweight." My doctor would like to see me gain just like I did with my last pregnancy. I kind of shrugged, said okay, and then figured what happens happens. I'm not that stressed out, even though I should be since I worked my butt off to get these pounds off. haha!

Please don't stress.  Keep up the exercise, and focus on eating right. Let the cards fall where they may.  Put the scale away, too!! Just focus on doing things RIGHT and worry about the pounds later. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am not under any restrictions. Last time I lost 16lbs from m/s. I gained that back plus 11 lbs. OB never said a word to me. The 11lbs was gone by 2 weeks pp.

• Loading the player...
  • i was told to keep my weight to around 25 lbs this time around. I am starting out at 200 lbs. Last pregnancy I gained 60 lbs and does not want to repeat that again.
  • I go to an OB/GYN practice of 4 different doctors. At my last GYN appt (earlier this year), I wasn't able to see my regular Dr since she was delivering a baby. So, I agreed to see another Dr. I had mentioned to her that we were TTC. To my surprise, she already had this chart ready with weight, BMI and the whole nine and told me I should try to lose some weight before we TTC. WTH?

So, at our 1st appt after we had conceived, I asked the Dr (a different 1) how much weight I'm allowed to gain. Her response (after a chuckle) was "I am not the one to be telling people about losing weight (she's a tad overweight herself). So, I don't tell my patients to lose weight while pregnant. I simply ask them to eat a lot of fruit, veggies and protein and try not to overdo it with the sweets. Also, try to remain active if you don't go to the gym. That'll help a lot" She then went on to say that there are new rules that she doen't agree with and I should bethe 1 that's responsible for my weight gain.

Three angel babies...I think it's time for a change
  • 1200-1300 calories/day is WAY, WAY too low.  It's the lowest amount for dieting (losing weight).

You need to see a nutritionist (pref. one who specializes in PG).

Husband has cystic fibrosis. I'm a carrier. We did TESE, IVF, ICSI, and PGD. After two failed IVFs, we were blessed with our twins.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I didn't gain much, if anything last pregnancy. I think it is OK, I am very overweight. 

I would check out Babyfit.com for some calorie/food guidelines to keep you in check. I prefer Sparkpeople for my food journaling because Babyfit, although the same company, doesn't allow for food input by other users.  

• Thank you! That makes me feel better. my start weight is 190 pounds. I am just going to do the best that I can.
  • You are not even eating enough to maintain current weight. Where did you come up with the 1200-1300 number? You need to consult a professional. I'm sure your OB wouldn't support your diet. :headdesk:
  • I started out at 191 lbs, and the doctor told me that my expected weight gain for the pregnancy would be about 20 lbs total.

So far, I've lost about 5 lbs (between morning sickness and trying to eat healthier - lots of fruits and veggies, protein, dairy - things that get plenty of nutrition for me and baby!) - the doctor wasn't concerned. 

I figure that my body is going to do whatever it's going to do, my #1 priority is nourishing my baby! As long as I'm moderately active and eating things that are fairly wholesome and full of nutrition, I'm not going to worry about how much weight I gain/don't gain. I plan to listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry. 

Hope all goes well for you, and don't stress it too much - that can't be good for you (or baby!)

• imagelilygirl720:
    Thank you! That makes me feel better. my start weight is 190 pounds. I am just going to do the best that I can.

My starting weight is 190 as well. I'm 6' tall, though.  

You need to be eating MUCH more than 1200-1300 calories a day. You aren't trying to LOSE weight here.  Shoot, even in losing the 40lbs I have in the last year, I never went down to eating that much.  That is a dangerously low number, especially if you are working out on top of that. 

Please talk to your OB about getting a referral for a good nutritionist. They can help you through your caloric needs etc.  

• I was 138 pounds when i found out, and I've already lost 8 pounds just since Aug. 31, and i didn't change much. Just keep your head up and everything will work out. :) 
  • girl, I eat 1200 calories for dinner.

LOL, just kidding.  But seriously, eat more and just eat more healthy.  I think your doc was just trying to get the point across that just because you are pregnant doesn't mean you get to eat a dozen Krispy Kremes for dinner, KWIM?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks again to all of you. I am going to call my Dr back but I also just signed up for babyfit and that has me at like 1800-2000 calories for my size and my weight gain restrictions.

I'll make sure I eat more :)

• imagelilygirl720:

Thanks again to all of you. I am going to call my Dr back but I also just signed up for babyfit and that has me at like 1800-2000 calories for my size and my weight gain restrictions.

Yes 

• I'm overweight and was actively trying to lose 40 pounds before we started TTC. I lost about 20 of them before we got our BFP. So yes, better, but still overweight.

Because of that, my doctor told me she wanted me to gain no more than 15-20 pounds during my PG. She wants me to eat healthy (but she didn't give me a calorie allotment) and she wants me to exercise, albeit a more toned down version of what I was doing before I found out I was PG.

She reiterated that point at my appointment today when I broached some exercise concerns with her and she said, "This isn't the time for you to lose weight. Just maintain and stick around where you are for now."

After two years of tracking every calorie and every meal, I have to admit, it's kind of liberating NOT to have to go to WW and log every point anymore, lol. I'm just trying to use common sense--eat healthier foods, cut back on the crappy sodas and junk and splurge in moderation (like this weekend, when I was totally jonesing for some chocolate chip cookies).

Ditto the PPs that 1,200-1,300 calories seems low. Heck, I was having more when I was trying to lose weight. Glad you're going to talk to your dr. about that :)

Good luck!

• 15lbs max w/ DD and this time as well.. I gained only 5lbs until the end of 3rd tri w/ DD and finished just under 20.
  • My Dr said I should only gain 20 to 30 lbs. I was surprised to hear 20lbs?! I'm normally thin and thought she'd suggest 35lbs, but she insisted 20lbs is a healthy number to shoot for.  I'm 5'11'' and 143lbs.
  • imagebrunette mac:
    My Dr said I should only gain 20 to 30 lbs. I was surprised to hear 20lbs?! I'm normally thin and thought she'd suggest 35lbs, but she insisted 20lbs is a healthy number to shoot for.  I'm 5'11'' and 143lbs.

Same here. I think my doc was low-balling me, although my ratio is a touch worse than yours (5'4'' 133)

• The nurse practitioner at my OB's office told me at my first appointment that she didn't want me to gain ANY weight during my pregnancy (I am overweight). I laughed at her since my boobs gain about 2 pounds during my period each month! She said 10 pounds is the most she'll be okay with me gaining. When I was in the hospital to get some hormone levels in check and they had me on an 1800-2000 calorie diet.

I get the impression that the most important thing is to just make sure you're eating lots of good things for your baby. :-)

• imagelilygirl720:

Thanks again to all of you. I am going to call my Dr back but I also just signed up for babyfit and that has me at like 1800-2000 calories for my size and my weight gain restrictions.

So glad to hear this!  Have a H&H pregnancy.Smile

• My 1st doctor got on me about my weight with my son in my 1st tri ( I gained 7 lbs in btwn appointments) and I switched doctors in the middle of my pregnacy. I was not overweight and I did not want to be worried every appointment. It was the best decision I made.

Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • BTW I gained 55lbs with my son. It was probably about 20 lbs more than I should have gained (I am only 5"2) but I was able to loose it before this pregnancy. I don't think you should stress too much about weight while you are pregnant.

Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My doctor told me that she is not going to tell me what to gain,but she will watch me as we progress.

I like to stick between 160 and 170 when I work out and eat healthy during the week (weekends are free, hence 170!)

I gained a ton this summer when I had a m/c and I am now 180. I do not want to hit 200 with this pregnancy!! I am being careful to eat fruit and veggies for my snacks and having healthy meals. Now if I could just kick my sweet tooth at night!!

I am filling up SO much faster, so my meals are small.

However, DH will probably gain more because whatever I don't eat he finishes after he eats his dinner!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"