New York Babies
Options

Only in New York

I commute from Forrest Hills to Times Square every day for work, and lately I've been getting queasy on the train, about half way through the trip. Tuesday morning I was stopping off at 57th street to pick up my chart from my GYN office. I was glad to get off the train a little early, because I felt so sick. But as I sat on the platform, I began to feel better. "Maybe I'll sit for a few minutes when I get to the GYN office," I thought to myself. So I climb the stairs up to the street, and as soon as I hit the air, I get that brick in my stomach that means I have about 10 seconds to find a trash can and/or toilet. I book it to the corner and thankfully there was an open trash can (not like the covered ones in Times Square). Up comes breakfast . . . right in front of Carnegie Hall! So classy, right?! ;)

Now for the "only in new york" part. NOT ONE PERSON STOPPED TO ASK IF I WAS OK!!! I'm standing there, wretching, spitting up bile, and everyone is ignoring me or giving me dirty looks. I tell ya, that did NOT make me feel better or less embarrassed. That's the problem with having these symptoms but no real bump; everyone just thought I was a drunk (even though I looked SUPER cute that day)! :(

Re: Only in New York

• Options
    What an awful experience!  Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me though.  Even after going through one pregnancy already, it still amazes me how no one will offer a seat on the trains to a clearly pregnant woman.  I enjoy staring at them and making them uncomfortable where they can't even make eye contact.  I live in Queens also and feel that the people on the 7 train for the most part are much better about giving up a seat than folks on the Manhattan trains.  Hope your train rides get better!
  • Options
    Oh, that is horrible!!! But, I know exactly what you mean! When I was pregnant, I would often end up hurling right on the train tracks while waiting for a subway. No one said a peep! I just got used to carrying wet wipes in my purse and ignoring folks! Hopefully you'll get to feeling better soon!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know what you mean...in my second trimester I had awful bloody noses. One day I was waiting for the train and one unexpectedly happened. I had nothing in my purse to stop it. Lots of dirty looks and people backing away from me. As for how many people offered me a seat? I'd say I got one about 50% of the time...until I was REALLY showing (at 37 weeks). Now I get offered all the time. I think a lot of times people are afraid to offer you a seat if they aren't sure you are pregnant. It helps when you are reading baby/pregnancy books on your commute. When I did that I ALWAYS got offered a seat :)
  • Options
    Or you can carry your lunch in a bag from a maternity store. It's also good for accidentally hitting people with when you are standing in front of them in the subway and they are ignoring you.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not pregnant, but in February I had major hip surgery. I took the F or the E to PT 5 days a week, in a brace and on crutches. I was amazed how often I was left trying to stand on a moving train when no one would get up! Some people just really live in their own world! Hope you're feeling better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just had this exact experience last week! The construction workers on the opposite corner stood there talking about me loud enough for me to hear, but NO ONE asked if I was okay. Very surreal for someone who has lived most of her life elsewhere.
    BFP #1 5/1/10, missed mc dx 6/4/10 BFP #2 8/5/10, baby boy arrived 4/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"