1st Trimester

A couple of Questions for those with BAD MS

Hi,

I'm having a really bad day today.  Got sick as soon as I got out of bed ( this is very typical) but then I ate some kix dry cereal and white grape juice and that stayed down for about a half hour before I was back in the bathroom getting sick again.  Just a couple of questions.

What stays down for you when nothing else will??  

For those of you on Zofran how was it prescribed to you. My doc said 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours. as needed.  I am trying not to take it unless absolutely necessary because our insurance doesn't cover Zofran and it doesn't really do THAT much for me.  I just took 2 out of desperation. I do not want to end up in the hospital.  I am just wondering if This is a medication that works better when it has had time to build up in your system.

Thanks for your help!

Re: A couple of Questions for those with BAD MS

• I wouldn't say it has to be in your system a while. When mine is VERY bad (can't hold down liquids) I alternate Phenergan and Zofran. The Zofran I would take 2 every 6 hours. The Phenergan I have is suppositories and I use 1 every 6 hours. (zofran one day, phenergan the next)

Something that helps me is to avoid greasy foods, take a Zantac pill when I have anything acidic (juices, tomato sauces, things like that) and always have something in my stomach. I also eat a small meal late at night so I don't wake up starving and sick. It's really helped me a lot.

I hope you feel better soon!

"Momma! She's doing it again!!" Photobucket
  • For me, I am on the strongest dose of Zofran I can get, and it worked right away the first time. I will say, it's not as effective as it was these days, but it still helps.

If you are really not keeping down anything, including fluids, you need to call your doc and see what they say. You don't want to get dehydrated.

• Loading the player...
  • I take 8mg Zofran as soon as I wake up. Not 5 minutes, not even a minute- as soon as I pop my eyes open. I prep the nightstand the night before with meds and a drink, and get that puppy down. I then hang out in bed for about 15 minutes to let it work it's magic. I noticed that if I get up quickly and start walking around, getting ready...that's when I get sick. So I read the news on my iphone, and let the Zofran kick in. Next step, food. I eat some cereal, or a biscuit, or whatever dry carb thing sounds good. This week it was frozen precooked (just heat and eat) sausage biscuits. Whatever your thing is- like Kix cereal- just eat that.

This process works for me. If I don't follow this- I puke. Hopefully you sort out what works for your body. Good luck!!

• imageGreen*Flamingo:

I take 8mg Zofran as soon as I wake up. Not 5 minutes, not even a minute- as soon as I pop my eyes open. I prep the nightstand the night before with meds and a drink, and get that puppy down. I then hang out in bed for about 15 minutes to let it work it's magic. I noticed that if I get up quickly and start walking around, getting ready...that's when I get sick. So I read the news on my iphone, and let the Zofran kick in. Next step, food. I eat some cereal, or a biscuit, or whatever dry carb thing sounds good. This week it was frozen precooked (just heat and eat) sausage biscuits. Whatever your thing is- like Kix cereal- just eat that.

This process works for me. If I don't follow this- I puke. Hopefully you sort out what works for your body. Good luck!!

I totally agree, this is my approach as well. It makes a difference.

(Those biscuits actually sound great, I'm going to get some. Maybe I'll get some protein this week,)

• I get very bad night sickness, the doctor also gave me Zofran. I take in once a night.  I would check with your doctor beacuse bad MS can cause dehydration etc.

Good luck

• imageOksana Weber:

I get very bad night sickness, the doctor also gave me Zofran. I take in once a night.  I would check with your doctor beacuse bad MS can cause dehydration etc.

Good luck

I agree about the dehydration. Not only can it dehydrate you, but it can affect your state of mind. I became so dehydrated with my last pregnancy that I was constantly depressed and literally went nuts. Please take care of that before it gets bad. If you can't keep down any water for 24 hours, it's best to go in and get some fluids!

GL!

"Momma! She's doing it again!!" Photobucket
  • i am on zofran 8 mg. i have noticed although i dont feel like eating, if i dont eat often then i get more sick. i am suffering today because the nice rain kept me in bed and now im sick instead of getting up & feeding tummy when it is used to it. zofran hardly works for me also. i have been hospitalized twice now over dehydration and have fainted! ms is such a serious thing and im prying every day for the day it will be over.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The Zofran worked right away for me, but now that I have been taking it for a couple of weeks, it doesn't seem to be effective as before.

Snack every couple of hours, even if you aren't hungry (but don't eat too much, either) I recently found out that sugar free popsicles work for me - I eat one as soon as I start to feel queasy and it helps keep everything down.

Hope you are feeling better soon :)

• I started taking 4mg of Zofran 3/day at 8 weeks.  Even with frequent meals, I was still getting sick multiple times a day.  This past Monday my Dr's office told me to stop taking my prenatal vitamin.  Since then, I've felt better.  I've only been sick twice this whole week instead of every day by noon... other Bump-ers suggested switching to a children's gummy vitamin.  My 12 week appointment is Monday, so I'll see what they say then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had really bad MS with my first pregnancy. I'd chug water. Even if I felt like I was going to throw up mid-swallow. Then I'd wait... if I got sick, I threw up, if not, I'd wait for my tummy to settle a little, then I'd eat jam toast and try to nap. 

My SO would make me toast in the morning before he left for work. I'd eat it, then go back to sleep. A lot of the time, I'd wake up not about to throw up... Still nauseous, but better than puking right away!   

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • I was prescribed zofran but I have actually found that unisom works way better for me. You might want to ask your doctor and give it a try. 

Good luck! 

BFP 08/18/10 saw hb at 6 weeks, missed m/c at 10w2d, D&C 10/01/10 Please God help us get our forever baby!
  • imageGreen*Flamingo:

I take 8mg Zofran as soon as I wake up. Not 5 minutes, not even a minute- as soon as I pop my eyes open. I prep the nightstand the night before with meds and a drink, and get that puppy down. I then hang out in bed for about 15 minutes to let it work it's magic. I noticed that if I get up quickly and start walking around, getting ready...that's when I get sick. So I read the news on my iphone, and let the Zofran kick in. Next step, food. I eat some cereal, or a biscuit, or whatever dry carb thing sounds good. This week it was frozen precooked (just heat and eat) sausage biscuits. Whatever your thing is- like Kix cereal- just eat that.

This definitely does help.  Also I try to stay away from sugar in the morning.  For me I think it makes it worse.  I do toast, eggs, biscuits, bagels, bacon, sausage, etc.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"