1st Trimester

Diet Soda - Pre-term labor

I just heard this on "The Doctors" - Studies show that diet soda can cause pre-term labor.  I don't know what I think about this study, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Found a link: https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=119112

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Diet Soda - Pre-term labor

• If it's true I should be going into labor very soon...I do drink quite a bit of diet coke. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Interesting. FWIW, I had preterm labor with my first, and I hardly ever drink any soda at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • soda is bad for you anyways,plus its very bad for your teethBig Smile
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsseguin:
    If it's true I should be going into labor very soon...I do drink quite a bit of diet coke. 

Me too. I usually have a glass of diet soda or crystal light a day. Mostly I drink water but I need something else for dinner.

• Who knows if there is any truth to that study.  It seems like they can make a study to prove anything these days.  However, I do choose to stay away from all artificial sweetners when pregnant.  Pre-pregnancy I would use splenda in my coffee and have about 1 diet soda a day, but now it's all real sugar for me! :)  Actually, the artificial stuff is tasting funny to me anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Diet soad is worse than regular anyways b/c of the aspertain. If your going to drink any while your pregnant and I know its hard not to sometimes. You should drink caffiene free.
  • imageBritters7607:
    Diet soad is worse than regular anyways b/c of the aspertain. If your going to drink any while your pregnant and I know its hard not to sometimes. You should drink caffiene free.

you know that its ok to have at least 200mg of caffine a day? i had a frappe from micky d's this morning with CAFFINE in it! oh my my baby will be born with 3 heads.

•  Causes of Preterm Delivery

Abdulla Al-Khan, MD, the director and chief of maternal and fetal medicine and surgery at Hackensack University Medical Center in New Jersey, is not in the habit of encouraging pregnant women to drink diet drinks. That said, he is also unsure that these beverages have a role in causing preterm labor or preterm delivery.

Exactly what causes preterm delivery is not fully understood, he says. "Genetics, uterine structure, fetal development, and infections all may play a role, so it is hard to say that diet drinks increase risk when we don't know 100% what is causing preterm delivery in the first place."

"You should limit your diet soda consumption as much as possible during pregnancy and go to natural products like fresh fruit or vegetable juice," he says. "Have no more than one can of diet soda every other day or every third day. Avoiding artificial sweetened drinks in pregnancy is sound advice, but it may not affect your risk of preterm labor and delivery."

The study results showed that pregnant women who drank one or more diet sodas per day were 38% more likely to deliver before 37 weeks than women who never drank artificially sweetened sodas. Those women who drank four or more diet sodas a day during pregnancy were 78% more likely to deliver early compared to women who did not drink diet sodas during pregnancy.

Since there was no increased risk seen among women who consumed sugar-sweetened drinks, the researchers suggest that it's the artificial sweetener, not soda drinking, that is responsible. Exactly how or why artificially sweetened soft drinks may increase risk of preterm delivery is not clear, but the researchers speculate that some of the sweetening ingredients may be broken down into substances that could increase this risk.

Researchers gathered information on consumption of soft drinks among 59,334 women in the Danish National Birth Cohort midway through their pregnancy. They controlled for some factors known to increase risk of preterm labor including advanced maternal age, smoking history, and weight before becoming pregnant.

Overall, 4.62% of women in the new study delivered prematurely, and 33.3% of these were "medically induced" preterm deliveries, meaning that the doctor induced preterm delivery to protect the health of the mother or baby. Drinking artificially sweetened diet soft drinks was more likely to increase risk of early preterm (before 32 weeks) and moderately preterm delivery than late-preterm delivery, the study showed.

Full article: https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=119112

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"