Parenting after 35

DS is severely allergic to peanuts (long)

We discovered this when he was almost 1. We were making birdfeeders for MIL for Mother's Day with pine cones, pb and bird seed. When I started, I actually looked at my options and wondered if I shouldn't use cream cheese instead because he was still young and had never had pb before, but then I decided he'd be OK because there's no history of allergies. I also figured I could keep him out of it. Who knows what I was thinking?!

By the time we were on the 3rd one, he was covered in PB and he had both fists in his mouth. I took him and DD in for a bath. Sure enough, a few minutes later, I noticed a hive on his forehead, then on his cheeks, then his chest, etc. His face looked like it was swelling, but he also has very big cheeks and it was hard to tell.

I got him out of the bath and told DD to sing to me so I knew she was OK while I gave him a good dose of benadryl. I then grabbed the phone and started to get him in a diaper. While I did it, his eyes rolled back in his head and he appeared listless. I was about to dial 911 as I picked him up and shouted at him and checked his pulse. He opened his eyes and I told him just to listen to me and look at me.

All the while, DD is singing to me from the bathroom :)

I then called DH at work and told him we were headed to the hospital.

I got DD out of the tub, and dressed. She insisted on changing dresses just as we were walking out. I went with it, not wanting to cause a meltdown but did hurry her along.

Thankfully the hospital is 5 minutes away. We got parked and went in. Despite the fact that I'd told them he might be having an allergic reaction to peanuts, they made me fill out the paper work. It wasn't until she read it that they then rushed us in.

By that time, he was doing better though, but still quite red and puffy. They gave more Benadryl and discovered he had an ear infection. They couldn?t accurately say if it was an allergic reaction though but the doctor was concerned about the size of his face.

We were given prescriptions for epi pens and antibiotics, and sent our our way. I was told I could give more Benadryl if needed.

A month later we went to the allergist and found out he?s severely allergic to peanuts (good-bye PB & Chocolate ice cream. Did I eat too much of it while I was PG?).

The ironic thing was that on the Monday before he?d had hot, red hives all over his groin. DD used to get them when she was coming down with something. I sent him to daycare because he was fine otherwise but did pick him up early.

The next day, I?d taken him to the ped who said it was probably just some virus. I asked the ped how I?d know another time if they were serious or not. He said my Mommy instincts would kick in and I?d just know. 5 days later, they did!

Re: DS is severely allergic to peanuts (long)

• Ugh, how scary!!  I'm so glad all turned out well at least and you were able to treat it and get to the hospital.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I can't imagine how you kept your sh!t together after seeing his eyes roll back in his head! As I am sure you know by now a peanut allergy completely turns a family's life upside down

A friend of mine's daughter is severely allergic to nuts and she is doing a trial out of the mid west where they inject a tiny amount of peanut "essence" in the child to slowly build up tolerance.  My friend is pretty optimistic that this trial is on the right track to help children with peanut allergies. It is based on the principle of this UK trial:

https://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-19/health/aaas.food.allergies_1_peanuts-allergy-shots-food-allergies?_s=PM:HEALTH

• Loading the player...
  • So scary.  It sounds like you did a great job of remaining calm, cool, and collected!  Way to go!  At least the allergy has been identified now.  No fun though, I know.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not really sure how I remained calm, but I did. I think the fact that we're minutes from 2 hospitals, and that there are ambulances just around the corner helped.

So far, it hasn't been that hard. I'm more worried about it when DS is older and going to play places, etc. He also seems like the type who is going to have to try something to believe that there are risks rather than just believing Mommy.

• How scary.  I'm glad everything turned out ok in the end.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My oldest son is also severely allergic to peanuts and has an allergy to cow's milk as well.

I hope there never is a next time but, just in case, dial 9-11. Paramedics are likely to be there within precious minutes.  Anaphalaxis is pretty scary. The thought of you spending valuable time in the ER filling out paperwork is alarming. I can't believe the hospital didn't rush you right thru! 

I'm so glad your sweet boy is safe and you now know the severity of his allergy. Good job, mama!

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
    Big - 1 year old
    Bigger - 6 years old
    Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageM.Amy:

A friend of mine's daughter is severely allergic to nuts and she is doing a trial out of the mid west where they inject a tiny amount of peanut "essence" in the child to slowly build up tolerance.  My friend is pretty optimistic that this trial is on the right track to help children with peanut allergies.

A friend of mine in NC just did this with her son. It took a long time, but he can now have food that contains peanuts.

I cannot imagine how scary that was. When I read the part about your daughter singing to you, I got chills. You sound like you really kept it together. Hugs.

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a friend who is so severly allergic, if you eat peanuts next to her she'll get a reaction. You might have to be careful with him even being near them.

I would have freaked. I'm glad all is ok.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mama.Bear, next time (if there is one), I'll def. call 911. The only thing that really worries me is when we're in our cabin in the mountains and are 25 minutes from the closest ambulance. We'll be on our own, which is why we have 2 sets of epi pens becase the allergist said that while it will work at first, the anaphylaxis can re-occur in 15-20 minutes.

• imageMango2:

Mama.Bear, next time (if there is one), I'll def. call 911. The only thing that really worries me is when we're in our cabin in the mountains and are 25 minutes from the closest ambulance. We'll be on our own, which is why we have 2 sets of epi pens becase the allergist said that while it will work at first, the anaphylaxis can re-occur in 15-20 minutes.

Oh how scary to be so far away from an ambulance.  How often are you at the cabin?

Glad he's okay.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"