1st Trimester

When to start buying baby gear?

Lately, I have been obsessing over cribs and strollers. I have only looked and researched these things online, not in a store.

When do people start purchasing these items? I don't want to walk in a store and have people think I am weird because I am only 10 weeks along.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When to start buying baby gear?

• I didnt buy any of that stuff till after my baby shower. Usually in your 2nd to 3rd tri.
  • We waited until I was about 20 weeks along with our first before we started buying baby stuff because we wanted to know the gender and just be further along in general before we completely obsessed over all things baby. Plus, we didn't buy too much until after our showers and we knew what we still needed. It's definitely fun to look in the baby sections though, no matter how far along you are!

p.s. FWIW, I would say it's never to early to shop garage sales for some killer deals on gear. 

• Loading the player...
  • With my first daughter I had the crib/bedding SET UP before I knew the sex(and we found out at the normal 20 weeks) sooo I was probably 12-16 weeks. 2nd daughter I was VERY pregnant before we got her new crib put up, I think at 36 weeks. (which I was going to use all the stuff from my 1st DD and decided last minute I wanted white furniture for her instead of the cherry we had).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have my NT scan tomorrow and assuming it goes well I will probably start organizing the registry soon.  Keep in mind that even if no one gets the bigger items off the registry you may get gift cards and you can use the completion discount to get a good deal later.  I'm not rushing out a buying anything because I want to see what we get as gifts and hand me downs first.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It depends if someone is giving you a baby shower.  I would do your research in 1st tri and unless it's an unbelievable price I would wait to purchase until 2nd tri.  Some of the furniture items might take a while if you have to order them, so I wouldn't wait until too long.

Young House Love blog had a great post about baby gear yesterday.

https://www.younghouselove.com/2010/09/save-it-the-baby-edition/

• Cool thanks.

I do enjoy the researching because since this will be our first baby, it's a good idea for us to wrap our head around how much things will cost us. As for a shower..all of my friends live in Chicago and I live here so not sure how this is going to work out if I even have one. I have a SIL here, but again....not sure if she would throw me one.

I didn't have a bridal shower because well, again....my friends are in Chicago and no one threw me on. Being Vietnamese, it's a tradition to have an engagement party, which my parents put together. I don't think that it's a tradition to have baby showers though.

So..I am not going to rely on a baby shower to get things for our baby.

• We are buying alot of the gear gender neutral so we can use again for Baby #2 (cribs, strollers, car seat, etc) and we will probably start purchasing those items after my appointment next week. Reason being, we want to stretch it out so we don't have the financial burden of buying everything at once.

We will register for everything else once we find out the sex around Thanksgiving.

• We bought the crib already...

big move, but we decided that even if something happens with this pregnancy, we will eventually need it. We bought it a couple weeks ago when target had the "buy a crib, get a free changing table" sale. It was a great price. They are both still boxed up and we won't put it together for awhile, but I just thought it was one of those awesome deals that we didn't want to pass up.

Other than that, I doubt we buy anything else unless I find really good sales!  

• When I first found out, i went out and bought 1 cute newborn outfit, it just made me feel good.  I didnt make many purchases until after the baby shower, since then I knew what was left to buy. Luckly, our more expensive items, family bought for us before the shower. So, I totally understand starting to look and even purchase large priced items early, since you need to be able to budget them in......
  • I knew I wasn't having a shower so I started looking early - but not buying.

we bought our glider the earliest at around 20w.    Then crib & travel system around 26w

and lots of little stuff after that.   I did a registry mainly for the completion coupon - which I did a major spree around 37w spending $500 and getting the rest of what we needed (PNP, humidifier, wash cloths, etc...)   2 carts full. 

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • I would say definitely wait until after 1st tri.  After that, if you find a deal or good sale I would say go ahead.

BFP#1: 7/23/10, EDD 4/1/11, MC/DNC 9/29/10(14wks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#2: 1/12/11 CP (6 Weeks)
    BFP#3: 6/26/11, EDD 3/4/12, Natural MC 8/5/11 (10wks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • When I first found out I was pregnant I just had to buy something.  So I went and bought 2 cute gender neutral outfits and a cream blanket I frequently bought for shower presents.  It satisfied my need and now I can wait for everything else. 

Like you, this is our first child so we are researching stuff like crazy, but I won't purchase things until mid/late 2nd trimester. 

• I have resisted the urge to buy anything.

My mom and sister bought us gender neutral clothes and a blanket.

We already know we want to do monkies but are waiting to find out gender for the pink or the blue.

We will probably wait til after the shower to see what we still need, but if I find the crib on sale then I would probably buy it and just not set it up yet.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagestaycee:

I knew I wasn't having a shower so I started looking early - but not buying.

we bought our glider the earliest at around 20w.    Then crib & travel system around 26w

and lots of little stuff after that.   I did a registry mainly for the completion coupon - which I did a major spree around 37w spending $500 and getting the rest of what we needed (PNP, humidifier, wash cloths, etc...)   2 carts full. 

Ooooh, a coupon just for a completing a registry? Do tell. I can always use coupons where I can put as little effort into it as possible.

• I am overly paranoid so I haven't really bought anything, but my MIL bought some toys already. 
  • We didn't buy that till around my shower. I registered the afternoon after my 20 week ultrasound though.
  • I actually wish we had waited until after DD was born (except for the carseat, of course.)

It's really easy to pick out things you think are cool or neat, but I wish I had DD with me when I bought some things, to know if they would actually work for us.

All in all, though, keep in mind that you won't be using most things right away. Newborns just kind of hang out at first.  So don't panic if you don't have everything set up before the baby gets here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • ive bought some inexpensive baby clothes from a thrift store. we went to lokk at strollers but i felt weird being nonpregnant looking among all the hugely pregnant women shopping.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I started hitting garage sales the day we found out.  Getting small things as we could find them that are gender neutral.  We picked up a barley used walker for $2...I don't know anyone that could pass that up, lol.  I've been looking online to pick out a theme or design I like and have checked out prices, but that's it.  We are definately waiting until we find out the sex, which will hopefully be at my 20 week appt in December.  We are mostly going to wait until after the shower to see what all we still need.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"