3rd Trimester

Dog in Bed

Question.

Our dachshund has been in bed with us in the last three years. The baby will only be sleeping in the bassinet or crib.

Should we relocate the dog off the bed once we bring the baby home?

Again, baby will not be co-sleeping or sharing our bed. The baby will just be in the bassinet for a few days/weeks before we move her to the crib.

Thanks in advance.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dog in Bed

• Mine sleep in the bed with us and we won't be changing the routine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i don't see what the point would be if your baby isn't sleeping in the bed?
  • Loading the player...
  • We're in the same situation, except we have a 75lb lab...good thing for the king size bed. We ultimately decided not to worry about her on the bed once the baby is here because we plan on keeping him in his bassinet or crib and not co-sleeping. Plus, I secretly enjoy cuddling with the dog Smile

btw, I love dachshunds. My sister has one and she's the sweetest dog ever

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Good luck getting a dachshund to stay out of your bed. I would let them stay. We have two and they sleep with me every night.  They are my personal heaters in the winter.
  • imageMrs. Chip:
    i don't see what the point would be if your baby isn't sleeping in the bed?

Ditto.

• We have two dogs that sleep in our bed. We won't be changing that since LO won't be co-sleeping either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Babywearing, cloth diapering, formula and breastmilk feeding, still can't believe I'm a mom, momma to my little man, two furbabies, and two angel babies.
  • What everyone else said.

I live in fear that once the baby comes, my dog will abandon us to go sleep in the nursery. My parents' dog did that when they brought me home. She's already fascinated by the nursery, and the baby's not even home yet. She also LOVES children.  

• imageAllie30:

What everyone else said.

I live in fear that once the baby comes, my dog will abandon us to go sleep in the nursery. My parents' dog did that when they brought me home. She's already fascinated by the nursery, and the baby's not even home yet. She also LOVES children.  

Same here! We put her dog bed (that she has never had any desire to sleep in!) in LOs room next to the crib and glider since she isn't allowed up on the glider, and she already loves going in there and laying in her bed! No joke, the dog never has voluntarily gone in that bed!

DD #1: BFP: 3-6-10 EDD: 11-10-10 Baby Girl Came 11-1-10
    DD #2: BFP: 8-19-18 EDD: 4-30-19
  • imageMrsTechie:

Mine sleep in the bed with us and we won't be changing the routine.

This :D

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a mini dachshund who sleeps in the bed and we're letting him stay since we don't plan on having the baby in the bed with us. Also when we try to keep him off he cries nonstop and that would just make us lose even more sleep than we're going to already.
  • Nah, especially since it's a little dog.  We didn't have DS in bed with us until he turned 1 or so.  We never intended to have him sleep with us.  But, we have a lab who has always slept with us, she's huge.  These days we have to shut her outside of the bedroom or she'll jump on the bed in the middle of the night, and could crush DS.  But, with a little dog, you'd have nothing to worry about.

• We have 3 dachshunds!!! One sleeps in the bed. We plan to just leave him be, he is really no problem in the bed and like you the baby will be sleeping in a pack n play next to the bed.
  • imageLantaria:
    Good luck getting a dachshund to stay out of your bed. I would let them stay. We have two and they sleep with me every night.  They are my personal heaters in the winter.

We have three dachshunds. One loves to sleep in the bed and the other two want nothing to do with it. They prefer their crates. To me this is weird but whatever makes them happy.

I love our dachshunds.

• I agree with everyone else- don't disrupt his/her routine, as you'll likely pay a higher price for that than for letting him sleep on the bed. Dogs are creatures of habit.

I would love for our dog to sleep with us but we only have a double bed and she's a 75-lb retriever, so yeah...not happening. But she does sleep right next to my side of the bed on the floor, which is where I was going to put the bassinet. Too bad, baby! The dog was here first, so you'll be sleeping on Daddy's side!

I guess technically now I should be SecondBabyMomma Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have two doxies and I know the situation! They both sleep in bed with us and if I relocate them they will get mad and just not let us sleep!! I plan on leaving them where they are and if I need to move them then DH will kick them off!! It's hard to change a doxies routen once it's in place without a fight!!! Just let him/her be!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers 7/11-7-12 year of defeat and over coming obstacles 8/12-HSG 9/24/12- long awaited +hpt Staying a mystery until D day!!
  • I have a one year old mini dachshund and she has been sleeping in the bed pretty mucn since the beginning. A trainer suggested we teach her that she can only get on the bed when she is invited, but we thought that would be really hard to do because she is so used to being allowed up. We are just going to leave he be.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Polar Bear used to sleep with us a lot more when he was younger.  The last few weeks, though, he's been jumping on the bed more. He "asks" if my feet are in the way, and when I move them, he jumps up. He was curled up at the bottom of the bed, against the bottom part of my Snoogle.   We won't be changing this routine, as he never sleeps up near us, and we do not plan on having the baby in bed with(we already have the bassinet set up, so he can get used it, and we're hoping our son will want to sleep in it!).
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"