3rd Trimester

Recommendations on formula & laundry detergent

While my plan is to nurse, I thought I should do some research on formula just in case.  I wanted to see what your recommendations were for formula.

Also, I've heard that you should use a certain laundry detergent for babies.  Any recommendations?  Thanks in advance!!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Recommendations on formula & laundry detergent

• I just use any brand of free and clear stuff. And free and clear dryer sheets too! Dreft and things like that are a bunch of bull!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Honestly, with formula, it is hit and miss for each baby, especially in the beginning.  Some made DS spitty when he was little, others didnt, and every baby is different.  We ended up getting Kirkland brand when he  was older.  We only had to do minimal supplementing, were otherwise breastfeeding. 

It is usually recommended to use a detergent without dyes or scents.  We use Kirkalnd brand Free and Clear.  Several  brands make "free and clear" options.  It is usually cheaper than buying "baby detergents" like Dreft.

My Bio
    Blog
    Miles Alister. 9.17.2007. 8# 6oz 21.5inches
    Isla Penelope. 10.21.2010. 8# 3oz 21 inches
    2 Months 11# 6oz 23.5 inches
    4 Months 13# 6oz 25 inches
    6 Months 14# 15oz 27 inches
    9 Months 17# 10oz 28 inches
    12 Months 19# 10oz 28.75 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have an opinion on bottles but I use ALL baby for the baby clothes. There is also Dreft but that is more expensive.
  • At the hospital I work at, if the baby is breastfeeding, but you need to supplement they give the child Nutramigen, a hypoallergenic formula, which they say is the "closest" to breast milk. I dunno if I buy it, but it's super expensive. Everything I have read says if you are planning on breastfeeding not to keep formula in the house, b/c it makes it too easy if you get frustrated to say, just give the baby formula. I'm not saying that to be all anti-formula, however I was planning on buying some formula also, read that and decided against it.

You can use Dreft or any of the Free and Clear brands.

• Good Start plus Iorn, DHA, Omega 5 gentle formula is what our niece used and she responded really well to it.

I break out unless we use tide so tide free and clear gentle is what we are using ACCEPT on our CD's for that I am using ECOs detergent

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use Method Free and Clear.

As far as formula goes, your baby will decide that for you.  In the month since my daughter was born we have tried Similac Advanced, Similac Sentsitive, Enfamil Gentlease, Enfamil AR, and finally have settled on Similac Alimentum.  Granted we are dealing with severe reflux and it doesn't take most that long to find something that work but you never know.

• We used Enfamil for DD for the first 6 months because it has the most DHA and ARA, then switched to generic brand. All formula has to meet certain guidelines, and is pretty much the same.

This time we will be using Similac because I have already gotten a ton of free samples. Once you pick a brand, and it works for your baby, it is best to not change. We may switch generic after 6 months again - to save money once we start going through a lot at a time.

As far as laundry detergent - Dreft and Ivory Snow are my favorite "baby detergents" but very expensive, and no different than other dye-free sensitive skin detergents except they smell like baby. We used baby detergent for maybe a month, and then washed everything with Arm and Hammer Sensitive Skin... double cycle rinse. Arm and Hammer did a lot better job with stains, etc. Only downfall, it is scent-free, so it doesn't smell like baby. It's definitely more cost effective though!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As far as formula I'm a slacker and not making a backup plan. So if BF doesn't work I'm screwed, I guess I will figure it out then, but I have plenty of coupons so I'll be able to just figure out what LO likes.  

I stocked up on some Purex 3 in 1 Free and Clear. I love the 3 in 1 product especially when it comes to having DH do laundry. But I also got some liquid detergent in the Free and Clear, it really just depends on the price, I look at it as they are all the same thing as long as it's free and clear it's fine. I am not wasting money on Dreft and specialty stuff like that.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Thanks for the recos.  I'll wait & see for the formula.  However, I'll probably get a free & clear detergent.  Since my shower is Saturday, I wanted to start washing things.  I'm guessing that after 8 weeks the baby smell from the speciality detergents will be gone.  Thanks again!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • As far as formula i have no clue yet.

But for detergent we are staying with what we use and if it bothers lo then we will switch to a free and clear one.

Teagan-11/22/10
    Scarlett Madison-12-18-2014
    Baby # 3 Due 06/02/16

Furchildren include
    Kali 12/20/10-Husky-Has Addison's Disease.
    Doxie 10/04/11-Dachsund
    Tadley 11/12-Cat Ruler of the house.
  • I use Target's Up and Up free and clear detergent. For formula, we used Target's Up and Up brand as well (with DD) (I'm hoping to nurse this time around). My pedi was fine with us using Target's brand.
  • imageKellina:
    I just use any brand of free and clear stuff. And free and clear dryer sheets too! Dreft and things like that are a bunch of bull!

THIS! My mom is irritated because I wont by Dreft.  I use 7th generation free and clear anyways - it's better for baby and the environment!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use the EOS brand, its free/clear of everything, plus costco sells it, cheap and its HE.

We did formula and breastmilk. The formula that worked the best for us was good start gentle ease in the orange can. It claims its best for breastfed babies and it was right for us. We tried everything and it all upset DS tummy except this stuff.

• I'm not researching or getting any formula.  the option would look too good to me at 3 am when I'm tired, bleary eyed, and could get H to get up and feed the baby.  I really want to stick with it and steer clear of the temptation.

for detergent I'm using Tide Free and Clear (the gentle formula that has the dermatologist rec on the front) and for the diapers, Thirsties Pre-wash and Super-Wash.  We do have those Free and Clear bounce sheets but I haven't been using them because I was afraid for the chemicals, but some of the clothes could use more softening.  What's the deal w. that--are the Free and Clear dryer sheets okay?

• most companies will send you a few samples once they get your name from the hospital or motherhood maternity. we had a few cans from samples when DS was born and I was SO thankful to try a few without buying yet. He lost a lot of weight, milk took forever to come in and we had to supplement for 24 hours.

• Nestle good start, as it not only has the essential fatty acids, but also probiotics (same one in activia yogurt). This is if I was forced to formula feed, which I highly disagree with.

Biggest problem with formula is lack of digestibility. Keeps the kid satiated longer, but it takes forever to go through the system, gives them gas and harder, more infrequest poos.

Plus it smells. The smell of formula makes me gag, and the formula poos are even worse.

Good for you for choosing the boob juice! Try hard to stick with it - not easy at first, but there is a reason why breastmilk is called "liquid gold" and formula is called "food of last resort" by the World Health Organization (WHO) 

• I plan on pumping (for the most part), so hopefully I won't have to go too much towards the formula.  We just bought a little pack of Similac's Newborn Ready-to-Go formula (just shake and add the nipple), but it's mainly for when we run out of milk and absolutely need it.

For detergent on baby's clothes, I used ALL Baby...I'm a sucker for clean and good smelling clothes.  I like it because it did a great job of cleaning some clothes (most of the clothes I bought second hand and had some stains), and it's not a strong scent.  I think once I run out of it I am going to go with Tide Free and Clear.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I tried All Free and Clear but HATE it...the clothes don't smell clean.  I bought Dreft and used the $5 off coupon at BRU.  I will also try Purex Natural Elements next time.  Truth is Dreft is so expensive and as often as you do laundry for babies it adds up.  My friend uses the Purex and loves it.  I was at Target the other day and confirmed it smells good :)

No advice on formula...sorry. 

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • I didn't use formula until DD was 7 months old, but when I did I used the Up and Up brand (Target) and it worked out very well.  She liked it and took it without any spitting up, reflux, digestive issues, etc.  I have lots of friends who have used Target brand and have been happy.  It is also about 1/3 the price.

For detergent.  I will admit that I use Dreft.  But it isn't because I am a sucker (well...not really) it is because I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell and it is one of those things I can't give up. haha.  I am almost out of my last container of Dreft and trying to decide if I will just switch to All Free and Clear for the new baby and not bother.  But the smell is AMAZING :).

• imagesweetheart18:

I didn't use formula until DD was 7 months old, but when I did I used the Up and Up brand (Target) and it worked out very well.  She liked it and took it without any spitting up, reflux, digestive issues, etc.  I have lots of friends who have used Target brand and have been happy.  It is also about 1/3 the price.

For detergent.  I will admit that I use Dreft.  But it isn't because I am a sucker (well...not really) it is because I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell and it is one of those things I can't give up. haha.  I am almost out of my last container of Dreft and trying to decide if I will just switch to All Free and Clear for the new baby and not bother.  But the smell is AMAZING :).

If you like the smell of Dreft or just clean smelling clothes, DON'T get All free and clear...it smells like NOTHING! Try the Purex Natural Elements...I will switch to that next...much more affordable than Dreft and it smells good and is all natural. Unless I get coupons, I will get that instead of Dreft. 

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
  • imagesweetheart18:

I didn't use formula until DD was 7 months old, but when I did I used the Up and Up brand (Target) and it worked out very well.  She liked it and took it without any spitting up, reflux, digestive issues, etc.  I have lots of friends who have used Target brand and have been happy.  It is also about 1/3 the price.

If you like the smell of Dreft or just clean smelling clothes, DON'T get All free and clear...it smells like NOTHING! Try the Purex Natural Elements...I will switch to that next...much more affordable than Dreft and it smells good and is all natural. Unless I get coupons, I will get that instead of Dreft. 

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
  • laundry- I use any free and clear, depends what's on sale or that I have coupon for, same with dryer sheets. 

formula-depends on what your baby will take.  Some have tummy issues and you may be trying different brands/types.  We used Enfamil Gentlease with O.  However, if I have to FF this time, I am going to try the Similac, as they keep sending me coupons and free cans.  At this point, I have 15 $5.00 checks and 4 cans of formula.  Why not try it???

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"