3rd Trimester

Children and horror movies....not cool IMHO (rant)

I have a couple i'm friends with on facebook who are REALLY into zombie movies.  They have a two year old who they take to tons of horror conventions etc.  I really try not to be judgmental about peoples parenting, but it bugs the crap out of me that they are constantly watching horror/zombie movies with him and that he goes around talking about killing zombies.  It just doesn't seem right to me.  Today they posted a pic of him sitting at some random tombstone because he wanted his picture "where the zombies live".  I never say anything, because it's not like it's abuse, but it just doesn't seem right to me. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Children and horror movies....not cool IMHO (rant)

• To each their own. It's none of your business really.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • My personal opinion, I think it's sad that *parents aren't more protective of their children's innocense.

*Edit: SOME parents

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with Rider.  Children should not be allowed to watch horror movies.  My SS's BM sent him the movie Leprechaun for his birthday a few years ago.  We just got rid of it, no way were we going to let him watch it.
  • I am a teacher and have done a lot of research on brain studies. I have read that if a child watches a scary movie right before bed it can completely wipe out everything they have learned that day. This happens because it frightens the child and thier brain goes into "survivor mode" and all they can process at night is that horror movie. Nothing goes into long term memory...it is just dumped out of short term memory. This is a very bad thing!
  • DH and I personally love horror films and we have gone to a convention before and loved it. Would we bring a baby or toddler to one? Probably not. But, we did see a lot of babies and toddlers at the convention. Yes, to each their own. Yes, they can be scary (the films) but I guess as long as they are not letting them watch anything with sexual content or anything bad, then they're good to go, right!?

There are things like this that annoy me, too. When parents seemingly force their interests on their children, I don't always agree, but I keep my mouth shut bc it's not my kid. (For instance, I know some of my guy friends push their daughters to watch Star Wars, Star Trek, make them listen to Tool - just stuff THEY like.) In my opinion, I think they should be watching and doing and listening to things other children their age would be into, but again, I can't say anything bc it's not my life. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJ+MS:
    To each their own. It's none of your business really.

It really isn't any of your business what they choose to show their child. If it really bothers you that much defriend them on FB and don't look at the pictures anymore. Like you said it's not abuse, I would just leave it be. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ~*Mrs.Gallegos*~
  • My Dad rented Alien when I was home from school as a kid, like 8 years old and I was SCARRED for life... same thing with Leprechaun... so I can only fathom how a two year old feels but like PP said even though I personally agree with you its really none of your business

I just would never let my kids go over there unattended... KWIM?

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i think it depends on the movie.

think about this... every week, there are some parents who take their kids out to hear stories about a terrible place, full of bad people. it's a place that they are constantly told is real and that they might have to go there if they're bad. not only this, some of the places where they tell these stories have giant, gory statues of a man with nails in him. and some have a ceremony where you drink something that is supposed to be human blood.

yeah, i'm talking about church. no, i don't think it's wrong to take kids to church, but isn't it weird that nobody ever acknowledges how close to a horror movie that whole scenario is? the catholic church we go to with dh's family has stained glass windows depicting several saints' death scenes. yeah, they're pretty and all, but that guy has arrows through him!

• IMHO, I will not watch horror flicks of any kind, and definitely will NOT subject my children to them. My only reason for this, is WHY would people purposely seek out horror and pay good money to disturb themselves, when we already live in a world that is so overwrought with REAL horrors, that those of us with a heart can't sleep at night. Have you watched the news lately? Is that not horror enough? What about that poor woman who went to the bank to get the $15,000 for the two men holding her husband and two daughters hostage, only to have the police respond slowly (after she told a bank teller) and sit outside the house twiddling their thumbs while the little 11 year old was brutally raped next to her mother (who was also raped)? While the police watched, the house was set ablaze and that poor family roasted to death (the father escaped). Sounds like a great hollywood thriller, but no, this is real life in America.
  • I wouldn't let my kid watch horror movies.  Sorry, just how I feel. 

As a side note, I saw Pet Cemetery as a kid and it freaking traumatized me.  I started closing my door at night and wouldn't let my poor yellow lab Max sleep with me for months, lol.

imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejmm881:

I know it probably won't be a popular opinion, and I apologize in advance if I offend anyone, that is not my intention - just my opinion as it is the parents perogative how they raise their child, but.....I find it absurd and not teaching a child to a) be respectful of what a cemetary is, b) complete and utter fiction that this child can't seperate from reality and c) probably encourages violence in a number of ways. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine for an adult or older child to be interested in these movies/topics, but an older child/adult generally knows the difference between fiction and reality.

This is what I think too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used to think horror movies were way cool and would always sneak out of bed to watch from the door when my dad was watching one (the exorcist was my all-time favourite movie for the longest time) and then one day when I was like 11 or sth I was watching one and it completely freaked me out (still remember the scene vividly) -- havent watched one since.

So through personal experience I am a big believer of ?the child will process what it understands? -- with guidance ofcourse.

I think it?s good you?re not getting involved. Most probably, your friends would not encourage or include their child if it was upsetting him or altering his sense of reality.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"