Single Parents

Ex gave up all forms of custody

He signed and had notarized a legal agreement giving up all custody (physical and legal... I had all legal anyway).  He is voluntarily choosing to not be a part of their lives.

He also signed a doc stating he will move out of the town we live in by the end of October and never live within 300 miles of us. 

While I am happy to have a good bit of my fears removed I can not shake the feeling he is up to something. He still has to pay support or well, collect arrears since he hasn't paid anyway. 

It just all seems too good to be true but I hope this starts a new, relaxed and happy time in my little family of three's life. 

DD born 2007 & DS born 2008

Re: Ex gave up all forms of custody

• Congrats on the start of your new life.  I too hope he's not up to something sneeky.  I don't remember your story because I'm horrible at remembering things like that, but I hope that these are things that you wanted.  It sounds like it, but I know getting what you want can sometimes be bittersweet. 
  • I'm curious  about this because DB has mentioned several times now that he probably wants to do this.... how did the process work? was it all him going to a lawyer?
  • Loading the player...
  • imageFSUMom01:
    I'm curious  about this because DB has mentioned several times now that he probably wants to do this.... how did the process work? was it all him going to a lawyer?

Some states won't allow a parent to give up their rights, unless there is another to adopt (ie: birth father giving away rights so step father can adopt).  

imageimage

TheseFourButton-1.png

• imageDarthNBJenni:

imageFSUMom01:
    I'm curious  about this because DB has mentioned several times now that he probably wants to do this.... how did the process work? was it all him going to a lawyer?

Some states won't allow a parent to give up their rights, unless there is another to adopt (ie: birth father giving away rights so step father can adopt).  

that's right, most states wont let you sign your rights away including mine which is why he signed CUSTODY away, both legal and physical. This means he still has to pay child support (but he doesn't and is super behind!) and if the kids to be adopted if I remarry, etc he would need to be notified and could contest it if he really wanted.  So yeah, right now he's giving up ever visiting them, making medical/education, etc decisions and more. But it works for me.

Plus it keeps his abusive ass away from me and the kids. That's what I want. I want to know my kids are as safe as I can make them. 

DD born 2007 & DS born 2008
  • I hope that he isn't up to anything other than realizing that being in the children's lives is of no benefit to them.

Hoping that you can start a new life!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"