Attachment Parenting

I just made BM butter!

It was way easier than I thought. I made about a Tb. I'm not giving this batch to DS but when he's ready for solids I may try again. Not sure what to do with it for him to eat it. Maybe drizzle it on veggies or butter some toast? Of course there's about zippo nutritional value left in it, so it may just end up being a waste. Just cool to know I can do that!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***

Re: I just made BM butter!

• imageKelly-renee:
    how?
    You just shake it in a bottle for about 10 minutes. It starts to clump together and you pour the milk off. Easy cheesy! :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • Loading the player...
  • imagefredalina:

This is definitely a "Why?" moment.

Like i used to make soap, and there would be a lot of questions about using BM to make soap.  Totally doable, doesn't gross me out or anything as long as i don't have to bathe with it, but i really can't imagine why someone would do it.  It's not any healthier than regular soap.  Just seems like a complicated and time-consuming way to waste some good BM.

But, hey, more power to you if that's what you enjoy :P.

Meh. I got lots.
  • imageStrawberryAlarmClock:
    imageKelly-renee:
    how?
    You just shake it in a bottle for about 10 minutes. It starts to clump together and you pour the milk off. Easy cheesy! :)

Oooh, so you made BM butter AND BM buttermilk. I think it is time to make some biscuits! Surprise

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you shook it for 10 minutes it has no nutritional value.
  • imageQue_Syrah:
    If you shook it for 10 minutes it has no nutritional value.
    That's not true.

Nutrition = calories, fat, protein, carbohydrates...  All that stuff is still there.  You've just destroyed the immune benefits since immunoglobulins are very delicate.

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • I have a friend who made yogurt out of BM
  • I make popsicles out of BM and DD chews on them for teething.
  • imageorangeflavored:

Oooh, so you made BM butter AND BM buttermilk. I think it is time to make some biscuits! Surprise

LOL! And some BM gravy to go with them.  Stick out tongue

• imagefredalina:

This is definitely a "Why?" moment.

Like i used to make soap, and there would be a lot of questions about using BM to make soap.  Totally doable, doesn't gross me out or anything as long as i don't have to bathe with it, but i really can't imagine why someone would do it.  It's not any healthier than regular soap.  Just seems like a complicated and time-consuming way to waste some good BM.

But, hey, more power to you if that's what you enjoy :P.

So glad I'm not the only one who thought this.  

• imageMrsMoody2006:
    I have a friend who made yogurt out of BM
    Did her LO like it?
  • imageQue_Syrah:
    If you shook it for 10 minutes it has no nutritional value.
    So...I shouldn't replace all of his meals with gobs of butter???? ::scratches head::
  • Now I'm wondering how long it can stay refrigerated like that.....  Is its lifetime now like butter, or should it get frozen first?  I'm debating doing this since DD hates her bottles anyways, might as well get some use out of all this milk we have lying around.
  • LO breaks out in hives when he eats cow's milk products.  BM and yogurt might solve some of our solids problems! 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Of course there's about zippo nutritional value left in it,

I would say that's not true at all - if you eat a good diet and your BM is full of healthy fats then that's what you have there :) Good fats are essential nutrients for good health. Especially for growing babies and kids, whose bodies and brains are developing at such a rapid pace.

Whenever I find butter made from pastured cow's milk I snatch it right up. It's so much tastier than standard supermarket butter and has more of a golden color. And, its fat composition is healthier.

And to those who ask why... well, we eat butter and cheese and drink milk that was meant for baby cows. Or goats or sheep. So what's wrong with baby humans eating butter made from milk that was made for.... baby humans?

• imageKelly-renee:
    Now I'm wondering how long it can stay refrigerated like that.....  Is its lifetime now like butter, or should it get frozen first?  I'm debating doing this since DD hates her bottles anyways, might as well get some use out of all this milk we have lying around.
    I wondered this, too. Is it the fat content in butter that preserves it? I didn't add any salt or anything. I'll have to do some research.
  • imageasiabutterfly:
    I make popsicles out of BM and DD chews on them for teething.
    Yeah we got some shaped ice cube trays from IKEA. He loves to gnaw on them :)
  • Lovin' your siggy pic, Sap. H-man is sooo cute! Yeah, there is a recipe in Super Baby Food and a couple links on Kellymom that you might want to check out.
  • imagemr+ms:

imageStrawberryAlarmClock:
    Of course there's about zippo nutritional value left in it,

I would say that's not true at all - if you eat a good diet and your BM is full of healthy fats then that's what you have there :) Good fats are essential nutrients for good health. Especially for growing babies and kids, whose bodies and brains are developing at such a rapid pace.

Whenever I find butter made from pastured cow's milk I snatch it right up. It's so much tastier than standard supermarket butter and has more of a golden color. And, its fat composition is healthier.

And to those who ask why... well, we eat butter and cheese and drink milk that was meant for baby cows. Or goats or sheep. So what's wrong with baby humans eating butter made from milk that was made for.... baby humans?

You & PP have good points. Babies need fat for brain & eye development, so there is a nutrient value to butter. Thanks ;)
  • imagealybookgirl:
    Did you taste it?
    No. I put it in the fridge to harden. It looks just like cow butter.
  • imageasiabutterfly:
    I make popsicles out of BM and DD chews on them for teething.
    That's seriously a great idea!!
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • So, of course I tried to make this yesterday and completely failed, we shook it for like 20 min too.....   Oh well, she still seemed to like the potatoes we made her with the shaken up milk.  DH now thinks everyone on here is weird though, lol.
  • imageKelly-renee:
    So, of course I tried to make this yesterday and completely failed, we shook it for like 20 min too.....   Oh well, she still seemed to like the potatoes we made her with the shaken up milk.  DH now thinks everyone on here is weird though, lol.

Oh no! Are you sure it didn't work. It takes a while and then you start to see it break down. Then, you can pour the "skim" milk off of it and these yellow globs are left.  Give them a stir to make them smooth and refrigerate it.  I hope it works for you.  If not, I'll be embarassed that I have the fattiest milk on TB! LOL

• Okay, in my world BM stands for Bowel Movement!  So you can imagine my surprise/disgust when I read this intially. 

~E~

• I was right there with you!

• Um, me too!  When someone said soap, I was like, "Oh, dear Lord!"
  • imagesunfloweremily:

Okay, in my world BM stands for Bowel Movement!  So you can imagine my surprise/disgust when I read this intially. 

~E~

Me too! Haha.

• Me too, I had to read all the way down the postings to see someone talking about cows milk and I finally put two and two together.  But for the first couple of minutes I thought I was going to be sick!
  • THANK YOU!!! I work in a daycare and was reading about the butter and popsicles and I was LITERALLY about to vomit (of course thinking about it being bowel movements) But now that I know it's BREAST MILK It's a FANTASTIC idea ;)
  • imagelmsherwo:
    imagesunfloweremily:

Okay, in my world BM stands for Bowel Movement!  So you can imagine my surprise/disgust when I read this intially. 

~E~

Me too! Haha.

oh man, that's what I thought too! I thought that was disgusting... 

• HA HA! Me too! I'm a little new to the message board abbreviations, so I saw BM thought, "um . . . poop butter?" and then the "drizzling it on veggies"! It took reading few posts to figure out why more people weren't completely grossed out!
  • imagesunfloweremily:

~E~

So please enlighten me... What DOES BM stand for if not bowel movement.  Because I've seriously been about to toss my cookies reading this post. 

• BM popsicles for teething...? hadn't even occurred to me - thank you!

imageKelly-renee:
    So, of course I tried to make this yesterday and completely failed, we shook it for like 20 min too.....   Oh well, she still seemed to like the potatoes we made her with the shaken up milk.  DH now thinks everyone on here is weird though, lol.

Oh no! Are you sure it didn't work. It takes a while and then you start to see it break down. Then, you can pour the "skim" milk off of it and these yellow globs are left.  Give them a stir to make them smooth and refrigerate it.  I hope it works for you.  If not, I'll be embarassed that I have the fattiest milk on TB! LOL

For a 6oz bottle of milk I'd have a good half inch of cream when we refrigerated it... I had to warn everybody to swirl it really well, or else the cream wouldn't go through the slow flow nipples! 

• Ok I thought I was the only one who thought that!!!! I for one am against people using sooooooooooooo many abbreviations on this site..does it really take that much time to type the whole word?
    image image image
  • Me too! It took me like 12 posts to get it, I was like, " WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!?!?!"
  • OK....I totally understand the nutritional benefit and the need for that but it still kinda give me the willies....ugh...
  •  

imagesunfloweremily:

~E~

right there with you, gagging until I worked out what they were referencing. Not everything needs to be abbreviated!

Met   - Jan. 12, 2003
    Wed  - Jul. 12, 2008
    Pink - Nov. 16, 2010
    Blue - Jan. 30, 2013
    TBD - Oct. 17, 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"