Toddlers: 24 Months+

Co-workers comment last night is still bothering me

So I'm working part-time at one of the big box home improvement stores and last night I was working in a neighboring department getting things ready for today's sale.  This weekend we have a store meeting at 6 to 8 am for the folks that are opening the store on Sunday morning and there was to be one from 8-10 pm for the folks closing so they didn't have to get up so early in the morning.  So they have changed it to where everyone in the store has to be there at 6 and I told my male co-worker that sucks for the late shift guys which he is to work.  So he is an older man with college aged daughters funny enough and he says to me that the word Suck being bad is all about a matter of a person's perspective, "that sucking a woman's breast isn't bad, but other parts of one's body could be depending on how an individual feels"  I just slowly walked away.  Like I was totally caught off guard because I can't believe that anyone in today's working environment would say such a thing.  My store has a really strict sexual harrasement stance and I know if I told HR what he said to me that he would be out the door but I feel bad for him because I know he would have a tough time getting another job anytime soon.  This guy has a really dark sense of humor and I think that is all this was but his comment is still bothering me. 

Re: Co-workers comment last night is still bothering me

• I'd be pretty uncomfortable with that comment too. A man his age should know better than to say things like that, even when he's just kidding, especially when he's at work!
  • Meh.  I would let it go especially if you know he has dark humor.  If he's never said anything else to you I'd let it slide once.

(FWIW - I hate when people use this word.  I think it's gross.)

• Loading the player...
  • imageFloF9:

Meh.  I would let it go especially if you know he has dark humor.  If he's never said anything else to you I'd let it slide once.

I agree with this. I probably would of just called him out on it & warned him. I don't think it is terrrible enough to lose a job over.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I would let it go. I don't think he meant anything by it especially if he has a dark sense of humor. Also, IMHO using the term "suck" is not very professional and he probably felt that he could speak freely since you used the word suck. I do however work for a conservative financial institution where using the term suck (while at work) would be frowned upon.

• Its a strange comment for sure, but I'd let it go. As pp said, you kind of set the tone for the conversation by using the word "sucks"
  • quite odd...but i work in an environment where way worse stuff is said every day.  i wouldn't even blink at that comment. 

i work in a department where i am the only female.  you can only imagine what i hear.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageHappy2beMrsT:
    Its a strange comment for sure, but I'd let it go. As pp said, you kind of set the tone for the conversation by using the word "sucks"

This.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • If something makes you uncomfortable you need to speak up at that moment.  He most likely didn't realize that he was being inappropriate.  You pointing it out will stop it from happening to you and others in the future.

If you speak up and he continues THEN you go to HR.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"