Health & Exercise

running & STILL getting fat...grr!!!

ok-so here's my vent!  I have been running for the last 5 years (7+ miles 6 days a week) Got down to a weight (& body) that I was happy with.

Then I moved to a state that I'm not a fan of and with the a hip injury,heat,humidy & lack of hills-I gained 10 pounds! So,then I got pregnant (super happy about!) and really lost a lot of mileage.First i had bleeding and was told not to jog (so I walked) and I was beyond tried! When I got the o.k to get back out there,I did but 3-4 miles 5 days a week is what my body is able to handle (lower back pain & the feeling my insides might fall out has stopped me). AND my weight keeps going up!!!

So far 149 pounds as of last Friday!! That's my total body weight before anyone has a heart attack! I'm 5'4 and started at 127lbs!! I think that's a lot and I'm working out-added yoga and more weight traininng with jogging!

So,you ask what am I eating...I will stay I can do a bit better but I am not that bad! I do crave a sugerly treat here and there...

Is any other runners feeling this way? Go from running less than 8 min. miles to 12??!!  I thought I would be a strong pregnant lady...guess not!

I'M TRYING!!! I have 9 weeks to go (baby is a week ahead in growth-so maybe less) I feel i'm a second away from becoming a whale....

ok...breathing now! Thanks and sorry for the long vent!!

Re: running & STILL getting fat...grr!!!

• First, yes, take a DEEP breath!  You're not a whale.  You're a pregnant lady. :o)

My doctor told me that just being pregnant is a 9 month workout.  Anything you do beyond that is a double workout.  I'd highly recommend putting away the watch though.  Even running 12 minute miles is awesome, but I understand it's not a number you're used to seeing.  I put my Garmin on the shelf the day I found out I was pregnant.  I didn't want the numbers to dampen my sense of accomplishment from just getting out there.

I will say from experience that it DOES come back post-pregnancy.  I ran with twins until 33w, had them c/s at 34.5w, and was running again 2 weeks later.  I was sub-8 min/mile too, and while I'm not quite back there yet at 9w pp, I'm close.  I'm running a 10K this weekend and a half marathon the weekend after that.  It's because I ran (not far and not fast) throughout my pregnancy, and you'll be back too.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Are you SERIOUSLY complaining that your weight is going up in the latter part of your pregnancy?? You do realize that your weight's JOB is to increase as baby gets bigger, right? I'm sort of disgusted right now.

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ya,guess I'm SERIOUSLY having a hard time with my weight gain! And I have funny feeling I'm NOT the ONLY pregnant lady to feel that way!

And yes,I understand that increased weight is part of the deal when your pregnant-when you hear/read that some women gain 60+ lbs (I know 3 who gained 80lbs) my first thought is for my OWN health & my baby's I really should not just "let my self go".

As you read in my post,I like to be active and not being able to train the same way as before has a lot of side affects! One being my self esteem.Second the body changes (minus the belly-I like my belly) not sure what my butt has to do with being pregnant but going from a A-cup to a DD-cup I do understand!I  and third-when you use running to deal with life (thought that running would be better way to deal then what most people do) and now you can't get that out of your body...yup! Vent posts happen!

This is my first pregnancy and not matter how much you read or hear it still is a big change in your life when it happens to you. I was posting to see if anyone else was having a hard time and what worked for them. I see that your to busy judging than trying to help...

So,it's taken me 31 weeks to say something-guess you can add "weak" next to your "disgusted"

• Haven 1-

Thanks for the advice! Your right about not looking at the watch,spend years trying to beat your time/speed and then the brakes are on! But it's not forever and I will say that I enjoy getting out there even if I have to walk once in awhile! Still have a good laugh when I see people wide-eyed over the belly =)

You ran with TWINS!! Wow! that is FABULOUS!! and your back training? REALLY wish you lived near!! Would love to have someone who was into runningvin my area...btw,have you seen the lastest Runners World? it has an article about running while pregnant in it.

thanks for seeing my vent for what it was-a vent. I know that I am very blessed and being able to run is just one of the many blessing I can be thankful for!

Happy training!

• So,then I got pregnant (super happy about!) and really lost a lot of mileage.First i had bleeding and was told not to jog (so I walked) and I was beyond tried! When I got the o.k to get back out there,I did but 3-4 miles 5 days a week is what my body is able to handle (lower back pain & the feeling my insides might fall out has stopped me). AND my weight keeps going up!!!

I'm very surprised that you think you should be losing weight while you're pregnant.  I completely understand the fitness part and trying to be as healthy as possible but I think you really need to seriously think about what you're saying.

You're 5'4" and you're currently 149 lbs - which truly isn't a lot WITHOUT being pregnant. 

Is any other runners feeling this way? Go from running less than 8 min. miles to 12??!!  I thought I would be a strong pregnant lady...guess not!

Goodness!  What a slacker you are....(just kidding)....I would be afraid to hurt myself not to mention the baby.  Are you enjoying the pregnancy at all???  Because it really sounds like it's more of a hinderance than anything.  Try not to be so hard on yourself and please take it easy.  You sound like you're training for the Olympics while you're pregnant. 

•  (lower back pain & the feeling my insides might fall out has stopped me).

Goodness girl - you've injured yourself and you're still pushing your body.  I would think that an amazing runner like you, would know when to back off and let yourself "HEAL".  

• I think keeping fit while pregnant is a great thing.  I was not allowed to due to a placental issue in my first pregnancy, but stayed in shape better the second time and delivery and post partum were much easier.  That said, please do not look at a scale.  Of course your weight is going up.  It  needs to.  And the extra weight on your butt is most likely your hips preparing to birth a baby. 

My advice would be to run for enjoyment, walk when you get tired and listen to your body.  If your back is hurting I would back off from the running.  Being fit is good, but pushing past your limits could hurt you or the baby.

And ignore the scale.  Know that you are keeping in shape.  Continue to eat well and occasionally indulge in sweets. And forget your weight until a decent time after pregnancy. 

My biggest concern here is that you sound like you're setting yourself up for unrealistic post partum expectations that could lead to depression.  Enjoy your pregnancy, enjoy your baby and continue leading a healhty lifestyle knowing that pregnancy and children will likely change your body a bit, often in ways you can't predict ahead of time.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagem&r2010:

Ya,guess I'm SERIOUSLY having a hard time with my weight gain! And I have funny feeling I'm NOT the ONLY pregnant lady to feel that way!

And yes,I understand that increased weight is part of the deal when your pregnant-when you hear/read that some women gain 60+ lbs (I know 3 who gained 80lbs) my first thought is for my OWN health & my baby's I really should not just "let my self go".

As you read in my post,I like to be active and not being able to train the same way as before has a lot of side affects! One being my self esteem.Second the body changes (minus the belly-I like my belly) not sure what my butt has to do with being pregnant but going from a A-cup to a DD-cup I do understand!I  and third-when you use running to deal with life (thought that running would be better way to deal then what most people do) and now you can't get that out of your body...yup! Vent posts happen!

This is my first pregnancy and not matter how much you read or hear it still is a big change in your life when it happens to you. I was posting to see if anyone else was having a hard time and what worked for them. I see that your to busy judging than trying to help...

So,it's taken me 31 weeks to say something-guess you can add "weak" next to your "disgusted"

There is a HUGE difference between gaining a healthy amount of weight and letting yourself go.  Clearly, gaining 80lbs is not good for mom or baby.  But being disgusted because you've gained a HEALTHY amount of weight?  There's something wrong with that.  You're carrying a child around - you have the baby's weight, water weight, placenta, etc.  It's supposed to make you heavier!  Please, just relax and enjoy the last 9 weeks of your pregnancy.  It will be over before you know it and you can go back to your 8 minute mile, or whatever.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • Staying in shape while you are pregnant is a GREAT thing. And it sounds like you are doing a good job. Have you told your dr how much you are working out and how often? I dont think my dr. would be happy to hear that i was running that often. A healthy workout for a pregnant woman is being able to still hold a conversation while working out. Can you do that?

Please dont be so hard on yourself. Its going to be hard to lose that weight after baby no matter what and i have a feeling that your insecurities might make things worse. Focus on that baby and keeping it healthy and then worry about your health. You are in no means overweight or obese, you sound very healthy. Talk to your dr. about this, and i dont mean this in a bad way at all but i have known several women who have focused on their weight SO much after baby, and their lack of weight loss caused them to spiral into PPD. I wouldnt want that for anyone. Good luck mama!

• I'm a little late to comment here but I thought I'd add that you should check out this month's issue of Runner's World.  They have a feature on Kara Goucher and Paula Radcliff, both of whom are pregnant and getting ready to deliver this month.  There's some really good advice from two women who are at the very top of the sport.

Good luck staying healthy - and by "healthy" I mean staying fit AND gaining an appropriate amount of weight.  relax and don't stress about the weight.  you're not gaining too much and it will come off. your body NEEDs that weight.

• I understand where you are coming from 100%.  I think it is fair for anyone to say they are disgusted witih your comments.  you reached out on this board because you are going through a hard time.   I had this exact conversation with one of my girlfriends today.  I am SOOO happy to be having a baby but having a really hard time accepting the weight gain.  I know I need to gain weight,and I am gaining weight, but buttom line is for some of us, that just isn't easy. 

I just tell myself that I need to trust my body that it is doing what it needs to do to grow a healthy baby.  You know yourself, once the baby is born, you will get back at your normal routine and be at a point where you are healthy with yourself. 

i think MANY women struggle with this, you defintely are not alone.  Good luck girl!

• WOW...what can I say! First-thank you to the women who gave me advice and support =) I know that with any life changes you have moments of grace and then the moments where grace is the last thing you got!

And for the others who just want to judge and make a person feel bad ...

1- never said I was trying to lose weight (might want to reread post)

2-am I enjoying pregnancy? why yes,as a whole it has been a wonderful experience for me and my husband. We can't wait for our lo to arrive and this has made our marriage even stronger...I was posting about MY running program on the "Health & Exercise" .I didn't know that you wanted all my thoughts about my pregnancy...But you seemed ready enough to make it up!

3. yes,my doctor is very aware of my workouts

4.yes,can hold a conversation while working out

Ahh...enough! i just re-read some posts and again for those of you who took the time to see where I was coming from-THANK YOU!! Even the stuff that i didn't like or cared to think about (PPD for one!) happening.

As MattysGirl posted "relax and enjoy the last 9 weeks" which I am planning on doing and I wish the best to all =)

• imagemalaki115:

I understand where you are coming from 100%.  I think it is fair for anyone to say they are disgusted witih your comments.  you reached out on this board because you are going through a hard time.   I had this exact conversation with one of my girlfriends today.  I am SOOO happy to be having a baby but having a really hard time accepting the weight gain.  I know I need to gain weight,and I am gaining weight, but buttom line is for some of us, that just isn't easy. 

I just tell myself that I need to trust my body that it is doing what it needs to do to grow a healthy baby.  You know yourself, once the baby is born, you will get back at your normal routine and be at a point where you are healthy with yourself. 

i think MANY women struggle with this, you defintely are not alone.  Good luck girl!

Sorry for my typ there.. I'm pretty sure you can figure it out but I ment to say "It is NOT fair for anyone to say they are disgusted with your comments"

Have a great 9 more weeks!!

• And for the others who just want to judge and make a person feel bad

I hope you're not referring to my post.  I was saying this to you as I would a friend.  For what it's worth - I trained for a mini triathalon last year and when I finished it I was about 18 weeks pregnant.  I was also 38 yrs old and I already had toddler twins and while I've always been active I was never a "runner".  Swimming was my sport.

So maybe I just sound "old" when I gave you advice?  I wasn't criticizing you but you sounded very frustrated and really down on yourself.  I think women are very hard on themselves as it is, with keeping "perfection".  Anyway - you asked for opinions so please take each with a grain of salt.

I think you're fabulous and an inspiration by the way.  I would love to have someone so fit as my friend.  I would be calling you to work out every day!

• Your title- "running & STILL getting fat...grr!"

You're not fat. You're pregnant. You're supposed to gain weight. A 12 min mile at 8 months pregnant is pretty fast. Imagine what you were doing when you started out-- you were probably heavier, didn't run as fast, etc. You need to focus on eating healthy, gentle exercise and enjoying the baby inside you. 

• imageizzybella:

Your title- "running & STILL getting fat...grr!"

You're not fat. You're pregnant. You're supposed to gain weight. A 12 min mile at 8 months pregnant is pretty fast. Imagine what you were doing when you started out-- you were probably heavier, didn't run as fast, etc. You need to focus on eating healthy, gentle exercise and enjoying the baby inside you. 

This is why I said I felt somewhat disgusted, because it's not fat, it's baby. The title made me believe the OP had already had her baby, but when I realized she had several weeks to go, it just floored me. I'm only being honest, not trying to jump all over a pregnant woman.

I'm a dedicated gym rat and I love running, I love all the benefits from working out. Gaining as much as I did was really hard on me, and I will definitely try to stay away from refined sugars next time, but I worked out until 36 weeks and walked the dog 1-2 miles most days after that point, and I know how tough it can be.

But you have to suck it up and deal with it, and strike a balance in your life. You are not your own person anymore. Sorry, but your job is to be a baby maker right now, not a machine who runs 8 minute miles and sheds weight.

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • First of all 22 pounds is not a crazy amount to have gained at 31 weeks - that's a healthy amount of weight gain and to be shocked that you are still gaining is a bit crazy. 

Secondly, of course you are going to slow down - it's not just the extra weight but also the huge increase in blood volume and the extra taxation on your respiratory system.  Even women in great shape aren't able to maintain the same fitness level throughout pregnancy.

As for the "I thought I'd be a strong pregnant lady" - well, I sure as heck felt like a strong pregnant lady when I was running 3 miles at 31 weeks last go round - even if I wasn't particularly fast or graceful.  As a pp pointed out, it's not about the clock; it's about getting out there.

I also agree with the pp who suggested that you might be setting yourself up for disappointment after delivery when you don't immediately snap back to your pp self.  No matter what sort of shape you are in, you will not be able to go out and run like you did pre-pregnancy for some weeks after delivery - your body has to recover and you have to build back up your fitness.

You definitely need to step back and realize that your body is doing an amazing thing - weight gain is part of the game.   You aren't fat; you're pregnant.

• I felt the same way.  My Dr wanted me to gain between 15-25 pounds.  I gained 26 and wanted to cry.  So, I totally know how you feel.  It seems silly but when you are super healthy and working out you just freak out!  In hind sight it was just one extra pound and I should not have freaked out so much about it.  I lost the weight afterward.  One tip, try not to be too hard on yourself once you have the baby.  I could not work out for 8 weeks and I tried working out early and tore two stiches!  So not worth it; take care of yourself.
  • I ran up until about 26wks, then the snow/ice came and I deemed it no longer safe. When I was running I would simpley go out and run for 30min I didn't care how far I ran I knew I was doing my heart and body good by getting 30min of cardio in. Not only did I run while preggers, but I also did Curves 8x a week (I manager 2 facilities and would work out with the members during each shift, they also constantly asked me how much i had gained). I gained a total of 29lbs delivered at 36.5wks. Keep working out it will help with your delivery and recovery. I was up walking on my own an hr after delivery and I had the feel good drug. I was doing light workouts 2wks after delivery (no rule followers I did not have the go ahead from my doc I just listened to by body and didn't push it). I ran a 1/2 marathon 5mos after DS was born.  At my 6wk check-up I was back to my pre-prego weight and now 8months later I'm 16lbs under pp weight.

I like you have been active my whole life and was not going to let pregnancy stop me.  Keep at it, and do what you can. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"