April 2011 Moms

Gagging while brushing teeth..

Has this been an issue for anyone else? Everytime I brush my teeth I gag! It doesn't matter if it's morning or night. So annoying!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Gagging while brushing teeth..

• Let me raise both of my hands.
  • This started happening to me only last week. I hope it doesn't last. I've been doing so good so far.
    Three angel babies...I think it's time for a change
  • Loading the player...
  • For me it was last night after I had brushed my teeth and gotten bed when I started feeling gaggy...then this morning while I was brushing my teeth.  Chewing gum is also rough sometimes!!
  • YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! you're lucky though, trying throwing up when your brushing your teeth! Very annoying!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • That's a good idea.. maybe I'll try that. For those of you who have been here before.. does it last through the whole pregnancy?
  • Yup- every day in both pregnancies! I did switch to a cheap electric toothbrush and have found it to be a bit easier.
    Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGrace0609:
    Oh yes, definitely.  I actually have to change toothpaste flavors when I am pregnant!  I cannot tolerate mint flavored toothpaste, and have to use cinnamon.... weird, huh?! 

Me too! Once I switched away from mint toothpaste, I wasn't gagging anymore.

• Oh yeah... I basically brush over the toilet at this point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here! Here! Booooooo! :)
  • I only have the problem if I dare to even think about brushing my tongue. I did read somewhere that using kid's bubblegum flavored toothpaste helped, so maybe it's worth a shot?
  • Huge problem for me.....I gave up on brushing my tongue and I bought a tongue scraper, which is a lot easier to use.
  • Yes, and it was with my first pregnancy too. I dread brushing my tongue..with DD it lasted the whole pregnancy but I wasn't ever sick much with her actually, this time is a whole different story.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Unfortuntelty I BARFED every time I brushed my teeth my entire pregnancy with my son.  So far this time it's only happened 2-3 times.  I never though about trying a different flavor, or kids toothpaste,  that's a great suggestion!  It's something about the foaming and extra saliva that makes me barf!  So counter productive to barf while brushing! :(
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageckolak:-):
    I only have the problem if I dare to even think about brushing my tongue. I did read somewhere that using kid's bubblegum flavored toothpaste helped, so maybe it's worth a shot?

This!  I was feeling good this morning, and forgot that I can't brush my tongue.  Total gag-fest! 

• I'm glad it's not just me, I started thinking it was all in my head. I don't have any morning sickness but I gag when I brush my teeth every time. It's so frustrating, but I guess it could be worse.
  • Oh yeah - always gag when I'm brushing. :(
  • Thanks for this!  I am switching to cinnamon. 
  • imageSouthSideDrea:
    For a while brushing my teeth would make me throw up, and then I'd just have to brush my teeth again...

Same here...I switched to a "sensitive" toothpaste and it has helped a bunch. Also, for those who can't brush your tongue w/o gagging, try brushing it side to side instead of front to back. It's helped me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • me too. I've been able to keep food down (even though I'll feel really sick and like I could throw up) except for when I brush my teeth... yuuuuuck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
    TTC #1 Since July 2009 slightly low progesterone, endo, kinked right tube, Clomid, Lap and Hysteroscopy, and 13 months TTC = BFP! (7/23/10) Cautiously Expecting... 8/19/10 - it's TWINS!... 11/8/10 - Boy/Girl twins! Born 37w4d
  • Yes!

I even tried brushing with plain water- and I still gagged.

• Side to side! Got it!
  • I throw-up when I brush my teeth then have to brush again and gag. Its horrible. Love all the suggestions!e suggestions!
  • Absolutely!!!!  Glad I'm not the only one!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"