Multiples

Question about feeding at same time...

Since we've been home, we've pretty much kept both babies on a 3 hr. feeding schedule. It worked out great when my husband was home, but now that he is back to work, I am struggling with the schedule. I try to hold off one baby while I feed the other, but usually that results in a lot of screaming until the waiting baby gets to eat. And both babies spit up a lot so I don't want to skimp on the burping.
So how do you do it? Someone told me about a pacifier thing that hook up to a bottle so the baby can suck on the pacifier and get food. Has anyone used this? Does that mean my babies won't want their regular pacifier then since it won't be giving food.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! TIA!
BFP July 09 - m/c Aug 09
BFP Nov 09 - c/p Dec 09
BFP Dec 09 - A&J born in August 2010 at 37w, 6d
BFP Sept 11 - ectopic pregnancy/left tube removed
BFP April 12 - E born December 2012 at 39w, 1d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Question about feeding at same time...

• Have you tried feeding them in their boppy's or on a pillow? We used a king size pillow and put them side by side and one of us sat in front of them. When one needed to burp, I would put that baby at my shoulder, bring my knee up to support their bottoms, pat, and still be able to keep feeding the other baby.

I havne't seen/heard about the paci/bottle combo, but you can also try to give the baby that is waiting their paci to keep them calm while you tend to the other baby.

Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I always sat on the couch with a boppy on each side and fed them.  I think the bottle thing you're talking about may be the podee and I haven't heard great things about them...
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine have reflux and I found that when i tried to tandem feed I would rush through it and end up with a lot of spitting up and frustration. If you can manage to deal with the fussing for a day you can get them on a schedule where they are eating 30 mins apart. Same baby always eats first - that way they both stay at the 3-hour interval. I prefered that because each baby got one on one time with me. Some people don't like this because they end up with less time to themselves between feeding so it's all in your preference.
  • I am a single mom to my twins, so although i do have some help from other family members every now and then, i do it alone for the most part.  My girls were JUST LIKE yours, where they would spit up alot (sometimes out of their nose, which freaked me out).  They would also choke on the milk sometimes because the flow was too fast, even with a slow flowing nipple.  Nontheless, here are a few things i would try.  I would put their bouncies on the bed with me, one on each side and feed them that way.  I have also gotten in a indianstyle form and held one baby in my arms, holding the bottle with my chin and the other i would position so she was on my leg and then fed her with my other hand.  Now when it came to burping that was a little tricky bc they would sometimes fuss... but basically i would feed them both halfway.. stop feeding them both at the same time and burp one then the other OR sometimes i could put each baby over a shoulder, hold them each with the arm of the side they are on, cross my hands behind their backs and burp the opposite baby.  I know it sounds crazy, but i have done it a few times actually.  There are so many different ways i have fed them, i don't think i could list them all on here.  But it does get better... there were so many nights that they would be crying and i would be crying, and i was EXHAUSTED.  But i made it through it.. and now they are 14 weeks old today, and they no longer spit up a great deal, and they don't choke on their formula either, so i can put them in their carseat/carriers and put each on the side of me.  As far as the pacifier/bottle deal, i know what you are talking, i have it.  I have not tried it yet, mainly because it's made for babies that are older and can sit up.  I believe it's called the Poddee Bottle.  The nipple is kindof hard, so it seems as if the babies would have a hard time getting enough pressure to pull the milk through the tubing.  I will try it when babies are bigger.  Hope that helps!!! GOODLUCK!!! ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feed both babies in their Boppys or bouncy seats.  I originally did what you're doing now - fed one at a time.  I felt like I was spending my whole day feeding once they when to larger bottles.  That's when I made the switch to tandem feeding.

• I started out feeding the way you did and felt like it was a never ending feeding session.  I'd barely get the first baby back to sleep and the second would wake to eat.  Mine have reflux, so it is super helpful to feed them sitting as upright as possible.  I found that it works really well to feed them in their bouncy chairs in the most upright position the chairs have.  I sit between them on the floor.  After each ounce I put a pacifier in one baby's mouth while I burp the other and then switch.  It keeps them from getting too fussy while their waiting to get back to eating. Slowing down the feedings and feeding them upright has really helped with the spitting up from reflux.  I haven't heard of the pacifier feeder so I can't help there.  Good luck! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • They sit in their Boppy while I feed bottles at the same time.  I can even pick one up, get it on my knee/over my shoulder, and burped while still feeding the other.  It kind of bums me out that they don't get held while they eat, but I'd lose my mind any other way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for your respones and suggestions. I will probably go the boppy route for now and see how it works.  My babies are fairly patient, but sometimes when they are both screaming, I am the impatient one! 

Thanks again!

BFP July 09 - m/c Aug 09
    BFP Nov 09 - c/p Dec 09
    BFP Dec 09 - A&J born in August 2010 at 37w, 6d
    BFP Sept 11 - ectopic pregnancy/left tube removed
    BFP April 12 - E born December 2012 at 39w, 1d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"