2nd Trimester

Elective C-Section-Poll

So I just finished reading the book "Knocked Up" (not the same as the movie) for fun...not pregnancy education.  The book is kind of a journal of a girl's pregnancy from beginning to end.  In the end she decided to have an elective c-section.  She did it for several reasons, non of which were medical. 

Part of her reasoning was "protecting her pelvic floor".  I guess pregnancy / labor & delivery can damage your pelvic floor muscles causing urinary incontinence in some people.  I actually work with a girl this happened to.  She had surgery to have a sling put in but it still didn't correct the issue, thus she leaks urine to some extent every day.

So my question is, would there ever be a reason you would consider an elective c-section (other than medical reasons)?  More convienent, pelvic floor reasoning, scared of natural L&D, ect?  Flame free ladies.  I'm curious about honest answers. 

Re: Elective C-Section-Poll

• No.  Absolutely not.
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • imagemchupie:
    No.  Absolutely not.

Ditto.  If it looks like I'm not going to have any major complications I would actually like to go natural and possibly a water birth.  I'm also one of those people who would never consider formula feeding unless I was completely incapable to breast feeding.  I'm not being judgy, but IMO, this is what our bodies were designed to do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am having a C section because I had one with my first son and I have been told by 3 different doctors that another C section is just the safest way for all parties involved.  BUT I have been in labor and delivery with my sister while she had my neice and let me just say that if I had a CHOICE I would pick C section.  I saw what she went through and I can honestly say that is not something I would ever want to do. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No way.  I had a natural birth with my first, and I plan to again. I would be much more afraid of major surgery than giving birth vaginally.
  • If I didn't have to have a repeat c/s, there is no way in hell I'd have an elective c/s.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Never. I was very disappointed that I needed a c/s with DS. This pregnancy I have the option to do a VBAC. I haven't made up my mind yet but if I do have a c/s I think that would be considered more of medical reason, right?
  • imagemchupie:
    No.  Absolutely not.

Same.

• No way.  Never.
    dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • no, i really want to go into labor and give birth. i would be bummed if i had to have a c/s.
  • imagemchupie:
    No.  Absolutely not.

This exactly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • No. My labor was horrible with my first and although it still gives me nightmares, I would do it again before I elected to have a c/s.
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagejmm881:

I think all pregnancy choices are not my position to judge and everyone has the right to their opinion.

Personally, I would not choose an elective c/s. With that said, I don't consider medical reasons elective or choosing c/s because of a prior c/s. I firmly believe everyone has their reasons for their choices and it's not my place to judge this difficult decision of theirs!

I agree.  Those cases wasn't really what I was referring to.  I find it very interesting that it is becoming a common event for celebrities and those with high powered careers to schedule elective c-sections to better fit in with their personal schedule or in some cases because they just do not want to "push".  No judgement here. 

• No, I actually look forward to labor and delivery. I won't be devastated if I have to have a c-section for medical reasons but I would genuinely like to experience giving birth vaginally.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am having a scheduled c/s due to high risk status,but they asked me if I would prefer a c/s or an induction.My c/s is at 37w5d,and they said that since it is early,I would probably not be favorable for induction and have a good chance (70%) of ending up with a c/s anyways.

Personally,I am so happy I am having the c/s.I know I'm in the minority,but I have no desire to have a vaginal birth whatsoever,and I have had multiple major abdominal surgeries,so I feel well prepared mentally for the c/s.Also,as long as I can remember I have a huge,irrational I know,fear of having a undiscovered brain aneurysm that bursts during birth,making me drop dead.

If elective c/s's were standard in my practice(meaning for no health reasons whatsoever)I would probably choose one.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• nope
  • imageVTbride05:
    No. My labor was horrible with my first and although it still gives me nightmares, I would do it again before I elected to have a c/s.

This.  Pushing was something I could not have prepared for and it was the toughest thing I've ever done.  But I still wouldn't want an elective c/s.  Instead, I am reading up on natural child birth and getting my mind ready.  I know what the pain is going to be like- I feel like I can mentally prepare now. 

• I would! After 24 hours of labor (15 without epi) with DD, I ended up with a c-section b/c my pelvis is too narrow....so this one will be a c-section (although I don't consider it elective). With that said, during PA school, I delivered about 30 babies vaginally (prob about 15 c-sections) and we saw more post-partum complications with vaginal deliveries than c-sections...such as hemorrhoids, pelvic floor dysfunction, incontience (my BFF has a 4 and 2 year old and is still incontinent), inability to orgasm (mothers who were many years PP who said it's ruining their marriage b/c they don't want to have sex), one woman tore so bad into her rectum, she needed MAJOR rectal/vaginal reconstruction after, etc. I had no problems with my c-section and went home less than 48 hours later and was completely fine and off pain meds (maybe an alleve here or there). Plus, i don't want to experience the pain of labor ever again!
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • No, never, loved my unmedicated vaginal birth. Also, research shows that it's pregnancy that causes incontinence, not vaginal birth - same rates among vaginal births and c-section. Check out www.cochranereview.org for more info.
  • I think a woman has the right to choose an elective cesarean.

Personally I can't see myself making that choice.  I had a c/s with my daughter and I am really hoping I can have a VBAC.  I do not want to get cut again. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • H*ll to the no. An elective C-section for the sake of convenience or to protect the pelvic floor (isn't that what kegels are for?) boggles my mind. But to each his own.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • imagemchupie:
    No.  Absolutely not.

I concur

• No way!  I do everything in my power to avoid a c-section, which is why I'm giving birth at home this time.
  • Oh no, I'd like to avoid sugery if at all possible. I'd like to have a more natural birth, without the drugs and such. I also want to make sure I'm the first person (besides the hospital staff of course) that holds my baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, other than for medical reasons, I definitely would not.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Noper.  I wouldn't have any other major surgery just for convenience, so why start here?

don't get me wrong - I am in no way jazzed about giving birth.  I just don't think major surgery is something to play around with if you don't have to.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• I would never consider an elective c/s.  I'll be crushed if I have to have a c/s by the time delivery time nears, but for the health and safety of the baby I'd do it.
  • NEVER.  It would have to be a dire, dire medical emergency for me to ever consent to a c-section.  My OB delivers even breech babies.  I'm talking like cord prolapse or uterine rupture.
  • I had a pelvic injury in 08/09 and I have concidered elective C/S. There is a decent chance I may reinjur my pelvis during delivery, but I plan to just hope for the best. If this happens I will just have to go back to physio.
  • Truthfully, I would consider all of my options.  As of right now....I am looking at gong into labor naturally, but because of my fibroid placements my contractions are expected to be too weak to do their job.  If so, I would then have to go in for a c-section.  If my doctor tells me that I can chose....I would go ahead and schedule the c-section!?!?  That way, I figure I get to chose my doctor and get her at a decent time of day!!
    imageimage
  • Well, yes. If this baby is not looking favorable for a VBAC, I'll schedule a c-section.  For a first baby? Nope.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • I am electing to have a C-section this time due to a surgury I had after ds that could be complicated by a vaginal delivery.  I also had a large placenta that was in pieces and not fully delivered and had to go back into the hospital for these reason I have decided to do a c-section.  I was upset at first but then I thought of how convenient this will be with scheduling.  It will  be much easier to have someone watch my son when we know when we need them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yep!  In my first pregnancy with DD, I went to my 39wk appt. and they did an ultrasound and found out she was transverse and I had low fluid.  The dr. gave me the option- induce tonight, or c/s tomorrow.  And I went with the c/s.  It was super easy.  I went into the OR at 12:00, the dr. came in at 12:10, and DD was out at 12:18.  I also had a very easy recovery and was back to doing my normal daily activities the day that I got home from the hospital.  So yeah, I'm pretty happy I'll be having a c/s again.
  • I am choosing an elective C-section this time around...DS was 9.5 lbs at birth and got stuck in the birth canal, they ended up having to use the vacuum to get him out and we almost lost him, he ended up in the NICU due to complications and had an infection. I ended up with a 4th degree tear as well. We were lucky and he was better and released in a couple days but there is no way I am going through that nightmare again. I am small and after I gave birth I was told by a few doctors that I should of had a c-section. Baby # 2 is measuring to be just as big as DS if not bigger so I have made it clear to my new doctor that I want a c-section this time around. 
  • No. I can't understand why anyone would undergo surgery in any instance but a medical necessity/emergency.
  • imagekarrizma:

I'm also one of those people who would never consider formula feeding unless I was completely incapable to breast feeding.  I'm not being judgy, but IMO, this is what our bodies were designed to do.

Oh yeah, no judginess there at ALL.  

::insert eyeroll here:: 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• imageMrsTotty:
    imagekarrizma:

I'm also one of those people who would never consider formula feeding unless I was completely incapable to breast feeding.  I'm not being judgy, but IMO, this is what our bodies were designed to do.

Hahaha I was waiting for this response to catch fire. 

• I had a c-section with DS and I assure you, it will not fully protect your pelvic floor ;-)  That being said, I think the only way I'd do an elective c-section is if I could see the future and know if there would be a horrible harm to myself or baby from a vaginal birth, or possibly if I were going to have a 4th degree tear.  Other than that, no way!
  • imageBellaCapulet:
    imageMrsTotty:
    imagekarrizma:

Hahaha I was waiting for this response to catch fire. 

Hey ladies, (btw, good to see ya on 2nd tri Totty :) ) I really didn't mean for that to sound judgy.  I honestly just feel that way about my own choices and I realize that my own body was designed for this.  I personally can't imagine any reason I wouldn't breastfeed if I physically could, but that is me.  I have friends that formula fed for various reasons and it worked out fine for them.  It's just something I really want to be able to do and I will be crushed if I can't.  I'm a little more relaxed about going natural, I'll still be really upset if I have to have a c/s though, less upset if I end up needing other interventions/medications.

• I'm having an elective c-section.

I had some complications with my son during my delivery.I'm scared to death to try and deliver again. I spoke with my dr about having a c-section before I even got pregnant. If she wouldn't have agreed to let me have a c-section, I woudln't have gotten pregnant again. ( this is not the dr that delivered my son) I'm having mine for medical reasons and not for anything else. I would hope that no one would judge me for that. Smile

There is a reason my children will be about 8 years apart!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"