Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

what is your one year old's nap routine?

We had a good thing going for months, one long two hour or more morning nap and then at least an hour in the afternoon. The dang pedi told me this needs to be condensed into one long nap but now he doens't want to sleep at all. I wear him out put him down at 11:30 and he's sleeps for 45 minutes and is cranky a few hours later. Maybe he isn't ready for this? How does your one year old na'? Thanks!

Re: what is your one year old's nap routine?

• DD is all over the place. Some days she takes a morning and an afternoon nap, other days she fights my mom and will only take 1 nap but either way she is usually a quick napper. I dont think she usually naps more than an hour, hour and a half the most.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • It sounds like your LO is not ready for just one nap. Why does your pedi want you to condense it? Not all kids are ready at that age. Your LO will let you know when he is ready for one nap. If two naps work, why switch a good thing?
  • Loading the player...
  • He used to take a 45 min nap at 1030am.  Then a 1 hour nap at 1:30pm.

At 14 mo, he went down to one nap.  he sleeps from 12:00pm to 2pm, give or take 30 minutes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Still at 2 naps, and that is fine with me. He wakes up around 6:30am, down around 9:30 for 2 hours, then again around 2 for 1.5 hours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • pedis, i swear...  DD wasn't ready to drop down to 1 nap until she was 15-16 mos.  if your DS is happy w/ his 2 naps and they're for decent lengths, i'd keep at it.  you'll know when it's time to drop that 2nd one. 
  • Thank you. I agree, he isn't ready for one nap. Why do some pedi's not take the child into consideration when giving these "at this age" instructions?? frustrated.
  • DD usually takes a two hour nap after lunch and that's it.  Today, however, she went down earlier and is showing no signs of waking. 
  • DD naps for 30 mins in the morning and 30 - 45 mins in the afternoon.  She just started daycare on Monday so  she's trying to adjust to their 1 nap schedule - so far it is not working out.
  • Right now she goes down around 8am for about a 45 minute nap then goes down at 1pm or so for a 1.5 hour nap.
  • at 12 months DS was taking 2 naps.  first nap was 2 hours after he woke up. Slept for 2 hours.  The second nap was 3 hours after he woke up from first nap and was another 2 hours.  We live by Happy sleep habits happy child (or whatever the name is) book.  We are still pretty much on that schedule at 15 months.  I recently thought he was trying to go to one nap and for a couple weeks tried to make that work with a major FAIL!! He is still 2 solid naps.  I wouldn't change what works for you and your family. 
  • imagelkaylee721:
    at 12 months DS was taking 2 naps.  first nap was 2 hours after he woke up. Slept for 2 hours.  The second nap was 3 hours after he woke up from first nap and was another 2 hours.  We live by Happy sleep habits happy child (or whatever the name is) book.  We are still pretty much on that schedule at 15 months.  I recently thought he was trying to go to one nap and for a couple weeks tried to make that work with a major FAIL!! He is still 2 solid naps.  I wouldn't change what works for you and your family. 

I read that book while pregnant and I tell everyone it's the reason that my littly guy has been a good sleeper since he was ready to STTN. I always go back to it at every age that he has a section/chapter for. For thirteen months he talks about babies dropping a nap...

• We have always followed DD's cues... most days she still requires 2 naps. She is usually up by 6:30 (give or take 30 minutes) and is ready for a nap 2-3 hours after she gets up. She typically sleeps for 1-2 hours and goes back down 2-3 hours after she wakes up for another 1-2 hours.

We tried dropping the morning nap because she stopped wanting it for a few days (or she would only sleep for 20-30 minutes) but it wasn't pretty. She's in daycare 2 days/week and while there, she typically only sleeps for 30-60 minutes in the afternoon. But it doesn't affect her schedule for the other 5 days.

Do what works best for your LO... the pedi doesn't always know best!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've heard that kids are supposedly 'ready' to go from two naps to one at about a year...but we didn't (and don't) fit that mold.

We're still one morning nap and one afternoon nap. Morning is usually 2 h., afternoon 1-1.5 h. 

I've tried to follow DS's cues rather than attempting to 'mold' him into feeding and sleeping schedules all the way along and he's naturally fallen into patterns that work for him (and for us): we haven't had to manipulate his sleeping and he's done really well.

A pedi thinking that he 'should' only need one nap by a specific age certainly isn't reason enough for me alter his natural pattern. All kids are different: my take is that he'll transition to one nap when he's ready.

ETA: I should add that he's been STTN since 8 wks., so we haven't had any reason to really delve into his sleep habits where napping is concerned.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She typically goes down at noon and wakes at 2. She's wierd and doesn't eat lunch until 2.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"