Stay at Home Moms

work from home jobs

Do you moms have any experience with work from home jobs that you would recommend?  I'd like to be able to spend more time at home when my DD#2 arrives. Thanks in advance for your input...

Re: work from home jobs

• This gets asked here all the time. Very few WAH jobs allow you to work FT while watching your children. You'll either have to find some sort of daycare situation for them, or figure out a PT schedule that allows you to get work done and still provide care for your kids. Or you could be like my sister, who's up at 1am doing work because she's spending a chunk of her "normal" hours with her kids.

A majority of WAH jobs started as in-office jobs, and the person was able to demonstrate they could still be productive at home. My company needed the equivalent of an additional 0.2 persons to get their work done, so I work on a PT/freelance basis, at around 8 hours per week. This allows me to do work when DD is napping, or after she goes to bed, or on weekends when DH can be here.

Ultimately, most SAHMs decide to SAHM FT and make changes in other areas to be able to afford to stay home.

• I'm a hooker at night :)

Sorry this gets asked all the time.

• Loading the player...
  • imageDr.Loretta:

This gets asked here all the time. Very few WAH jobs allow you to work FT while watching your children. You'll either have to find some sort of daycare situation for them, or figure out a PT schedule that allows you to get work done and still provide care for your kids. Or you could be like my sister, who's up at 1am doing work because she's spending a chunk of her "normal" hours with her kids.

A majority of WAH jobs started as in-office jobs, and the person was able to demonstrate they could still be productive at home. My company needed the equivalent of an additional 0.2 persons to get their work done, so I work on a PT/freelance basis, at around 8 hours per week. This allows me to do work when DD is napping, or after she goes to bed, or on weekends when DH can be here.

Ultimately, most SAHMs decide to SAHM FT and make changes in other areas to be able to afford to stay home.

Did you just C&P this from the last time it was asked? ;)

• imagemrsnemitz:
    imageDr.Loretta:

This gets asked here all the time. Very few WAH jobs allow you to work FT while watching your children. You'll either have to find some sort of daycare situation for them, or figure out a PT schedule that allows you to get work done and still provide care for your kids. Or you could be like my sister, who's up at 1am doing work because she's spending a chunk of her "normal" hours with her kids.

LOL, I was wondering the same thing.

• Sorry the ladies here aren't more helpful.  Apparently they forgot that they were new to this at one time too.  I was wondering the same thing but will be looking elsewhere for people who will lift me up and not laugh at their own sarcastic remarks.
  • imageSweetHappiness:
    Sorry the ladies here aren't more helpful.  Apparently they forgot that they were new to this at one time too.  I was wondering the same thing but will be looking elsewhere for people who will lift me up and not laugh at their own sarcastic remarks.

They are being helpful.  They told her the truth.  If there were a  lot of work from home jobs out there that are legitimate, then a lot more moms that want to work from home would.  I SAH, but we had to cut back and I have to watch other kids in home in order to afford it. The pp's were not trying to be mean...The Bump chat boards are very sarcastic.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSweetHappiness:
    Sorry the ladies here aren't more helpful.  Apparently they forgot that they were new to this at one time too.  I was wondering the same thing but will be looking elsewhere for people who will lift me up and not laugh at their own sarcastic remarks.

oy 

• imagepam1005:

imageSweetHappiness:

They are being helpful.  They told her the truth.  If there were a  lot of work from home jobs out there that are legitimate, then a lot more moms that want to work from home would.  I SAH, but we had to cut back and I have to watch other kids in home in order to afford it. The pp's were not trying to be mean...The Bump chat boards are very sarcastic.  

And I understand what you are saying.  It was my first reaction to the hooker comment and the did you just copy and paste this comment.  Some people here would just like a legitimate answer without having to deal with sarcasm or people that bring you down.  I appreciated the comment left by the first 'post in response' and completely understand her point of view on the topic. It just gets redundant on these boards (thebump boards) to have the ladies say that this question gets asked here all the time or are we really answering this again when they were new at one time too.  Just a little nudge to say let's all remember the golden rule.  I shouldn't have butted in...maybe I am just having one of those emotional days.  We all know that we can have those.

• imagemrsnemitz:
    imageDr.Loretta:

Sadly, no. But I should save it for next time.

• I have some ideas in my blog. It is hard to lead you in a direction without knowing your skill set. 

• imageSweetHappiness:

And I understand what you are saying.  It was my first reaction to the hooker comment and the did you just copy and paste this comment.  Some people here would just like a legitimate answer without having to deal with sarcasm or people that bring you down.  I appreciated the comment left by the first 'post in response' and completely understand her point of view on the topic. It just gets redundant on these boards (thebump boards) to have the ladies say that this question gets asked here all the time or are we really answering this again when they were new at one time too.  Just a little nudge to say let's all remember the golden rule.  I shouldn't have butted in...maybe I am just having one of those emotional days.  We all know that we can have those.

Sorry, but this is where it's getting ridiculous. Any newbie worth her salt should spend some time lurking on a board and checking to see if her question has been asked, especially one that's asked multiple times a week in all of its various forms. I realize that the search function usually sucks on the Nest/Bump, but it doesn't take that long to scroll through a page or 2 of posts to see if your question has been asked. That goes for other boards besides this one (if I see one more question about solids on the 3-6 months board I'm going to scream).

It's equally redundant to see the Nth question about how to have a job as a SAHM and spend more time with your kids.

My answer was my little nudge that people should look around on the board for an answer to their question so they don't get inundated with "we hear this all the time" responses and actually get the information they're looking for.

• imageSweetHappiness:

LOL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSweetHappiness:

lmao- seriously?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageStacyc625:

imageSweetHappiness:

lmao- seriously?

What, you mean it doesn't make your life worth living to tell people that it's damn near impossible to replace a full time salary with part time hours and no childcare??

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagejenifairies:
    imageStacyc625:

imageSweetHappiness:

lmao- seriously?

What, you mean it doesn't make your life worth living to tell people that it's damn near impossible to replace a full time salary with part time hours and no childcare??

lol- I can't even touch this topic seriously right now.

I just don't understand how many people think there is a magic website/company that just hires a bunch of SAHM's that don't want to pay for childcare and make FT $. 

There is NO FREE LUNCH people- if you want to make the $ (and SAH- like I do) get resourceful people. Do your homework. Don't sit and come on an internet message board and think a magic answer will be handed to you on a silver platter with a pretty bow.

• imageStacyc625:

imageSweetHappiness:

lmao- seriously?

Pretty sure the ladies on this board are way nicer about repeat questions than most of the other boards. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was just asking if anyone had any experience with anything that they would like to share.  I own my own business and do that anyway and I am working on doing more of that so that I am not away from home so much.  I know there is no magic wand to make full time money sitting at home with my kids.  But I am also not going to sit at home and let my husband do all the work outside of the home.  Was simply curious what other moms did?  This is why I simply lurk on these boards because people are snarky and rude, simply jumping to conclusions about what people think.  Do you need the golden rule handed to you on a silver platter with a pretty bow?
  • I do think its interesting how often this question gets asked considering WFH moms are working mothers - SAH implies we do not work.

I do work from home (and put in a few office hours) and although i do hang out here, I dont consider myself a stay at home mom.  I think about my job too much to ever feel like a SAHM.

what kind of business do you own?   is it your only job?

best way to work from home is to cut a deal with your employer (which is what i did)...since you are your own employer, that should be pretty easy? 

• Geez the SAHMs sure gave you cranky answers.  You should ask on the Working Moms board, they are waaayyy nicer over there and can give you both TONS of suggestions on how to make a great salary while watching your babies full time!  It's so easy, really!  I don't know why more moms don't work from home!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSweetHappiness:
    imagepam1005:

imageSweetHappiness:

Sense of humor.  Try to find one.

• imageplegg:
    I was just asking if anyone had any experience with anything that they would like to share.  I own my own business and do that anyway and I am working on doing more of that so that I am not away from home so much.  I know there is no magic wand to make full time money sitting at home with my kids.  But I am also not going to sit at home and let my husband do all the work outside of the home.  Was simply curious what other moms did?  This is why I simply lurk on these boards because people are snarky and rude, simply jumping to conclusions about what people think.  Do you need the golden rule handed to you on a silver platter with a pretty bow?

Take this as a grain of salt I mean because i am one of those people that sit at home while I let my husband make all the money, all I do is spend it. This answer just made you sound like a total ass to me!

• imageAndrewsgal:

imageplegg:
    I was just asking if anyone had any experience with anything that they would like to share.  I own my own business and do that anyway and I am working on doing more of that so that I am not away from home so much.  I know there is no magic wand to make full time money sitting at home with my kids.  But I am also not going to sit at home and let my husband do all the work outside of the home.  Was simply curious what other moms did?  This is why I simply lurk on these boards because people are snarky and rude, simply jumping to conclusions about what people think.  Do you need the golden rule handed to you on a silver platter with a pretty bow?

Take this as a grain of salt I mean because i am one of those people that sit at home while I let my husband make all the money, all I do is spend it. This answer just made you sound like a total ass to me!

Yes

• imageplegg:

wow that's such a nice way to put it. No

• imageplegg:

Why not? Are there really that many husbands out there who won't *let* their wives be FT SAHMS?

If you want snarky and rude, you ain't seen nothing yet.

• imageplegg:

There is not a lot of "sitting at home" in my day... Being a SAHM isn't  bon-bons and soap operas. I've chosen not to earn a paycheck, but my day is filled with work.

• imagemrsnemitz:

imageplegg:

There is not a lot of "sitting at home" in my day... Being a SAHM isn't  bon-bons and soap operas. I've chosen not to earn a paycheck, but my day is filled with work.

I earn that money I take from my husband damnit!

• who needs to go to the movies?

*Sips soda and refills the buttered popcorn bowl*

anybody want any?

• imageplegg:
     But I am also not going to sit at home and let my husband do all the work outside of the home.  

LOL  You forgot that we also eat bon bons while our husbands do all the work.  

Good luck making any friends on this board.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• My husband DOES do all the work, and I do spend his money. He likes it like that. Sorry your situation isn't as cushy as mine. For that you can kiss my heiny. I'm not apologizing that I got it made. I worked hard for many years, now I don't have to. Perhaps you should have married better?! HA!

Where do these people get off coming in here asking a stupid question and then whining when they don't get the answer they want. You could always stuff envelopes I hear that's lucrative.

Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • imageRJMbim:

who needs to go to the movies?

*Sips soda and refills the buttered popcorn bowl*

anybody want any?

yes =) 

• imageSweetHappiness:
    imagepam1005:

imageSweetHappiness:

Lordy lordy. Are you serious? I didnt mean to say hooker I meant to say porn star. LMAO! Put on your big girl panties seriously!

• imagetwh2006:

My husband DOES do all the work, and I do spend his money. He likes it like that. Sorry your situation isn't as cushy as mine. For that you can kiss my heiny. I'm not apologizing that I got it made. I worked hard for many years, now I don't have to. Perhaps you should have married better?! HA!

Are you for real?  I hope not, because this is just obnoxious. 

• imageThe_Jen626:
    Geez the SAHMs sure gave you cranky answers.  You should ask on the Working Moms board, they are waaayyy nicer over there and can give you both TONS of suggestions on how to make a great salary while watching your babies full time!  It's so easy, really!  I don't know why more moms don't work from home!

Yes, please, please, everyone start asking this question on the working mom's board. Please.

• imageMrs.Hizzo:

imageThe_Jen626:
    Geez the SAHMs sure gave you cranky answers.  You should ask on the Working Moms board, they are waaayyy nicer over there and can give you both TONS of suggestions on how to make a great salary while watching your babies full time!  It's so easy, really!  I don't know why more moms don't work from home!

Yes, please, please, everyone start asking this question on the working mom's board. Please.

We get the same question about once a week too. Lame-o!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got a packet of seeds to grow a magic money unicorn at my SAHM initiation. It's really cool sort of like a Chia Pet. Glittery money sprouts out of the top.
  • Seriously?  This post got me all worked up.  Super Angry

If you own your own business then why does it matter?  Make your own rules.  Whatever your business is can't you just take the kid?  And if you can't try shifting your business in a direction where you could take the kid, at least until the kid gets mobile.  Or if it a business you can sell how about doing that then investing the money in something safe and use the interest you make to supplement your monthly budget.

I feel like this is one place I should not have to read stupid comments about DH making money and me just spending it.  I contribute more to my marriage now then I ever have when I worked out of the house.  Today I did laundry, went on a walk with DD, paid bills, worked on our refinance, researched better investments for our retirement, fought with the ins. company, made/had lunch with my DH, balanced our budget, went grocery shopping, made my daughter's dr. appt, and cooked dinner all before 5:30.  Also to make money I watch a little boy a few days a week and occasionally sub. at the school I used to work at.  After all is said and done this is the same amount I would have brought home if I worked full-time and had to pay for daycare.

Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • 1. You asked a question that gets asked here a LOT.  And by a LOT, I mean a LOT.  There is no magic solution.  And we get tired of saying that.  Which leads me to.....

2. The ladies here are awesome and insulting them when they tell you the truth will not make you any friends here.  Just sayin'.  And with that said....

3.  The search function may suck, but scrolling around in these parts is just as good, this board isn't that deep in days/pages.

And for my own personal wondering, wth do random lurkers come out of the woodwork when the SAHMs get "snarky"Confused?  I use that term very loosely because like Dr. L said, you ain't seen snarky yet.  See #2 above.

The regulars said it nicely.  There is no free lunch.  No magical solution.  And no end to this question being asked, lol.

DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hi!

sorry some ppl seem kind of snarky in their response.  maybe they have something against SAHMs and if so they shouldnt be replying to your question in the first place.  or maybe they are just bitter because theres a difference between being silly and being rude and having an attitude. taking the time to answer your question with an opinion rather than an answer to your question leads me to believe that they do in fact haabout the ve a little resentment about the issue and are using this as an opportunity to vent their negative views.  otherwise, they simply would ignore your question because they'd think its too silly to respond to. period.

with that being said, im new to the bump and am not much of a message board person but i know my way around and read up on a few and to tell you the truth, the 'search' like someone mentioned is not the best (ive literally spent over an hour looking for a certain message that i knew the title of and the writer of it but when i logged in, the screen would take me to the homepage and even with filters, i couldnt find it. it was bookmarked on another computer) and i always browse at least the first 2 pages of a board and i didnt see your question in the first 2 pages on here, even though i have no doubt that its been asked before. and all the boards ive read never had many rude responses if any at all so dont worry about it.

IN REGARDS TO YOUR QUESTION, the only thing i have to say is that i heard someone mention before how they do medical billing from home and that if you are looking for a stay at home position, you can either do an office job that you already worked at and talk to the boss about letting you work remotely-as some people here have mentioned, or you can look into data-entry type jobs (like medical billing) where you just need to input data and that can be done with any place that has internet and computer access at any time of the day providing that you get the job done on time. i think they'd work on it while they kid was napping or playing or something.  

since any income is good, i'd look into the possibility of maybe finding a vocational program where you can get your degree in a year or less and find jobs in data entry fields. of course, before doing any of that, you should consult with a counselor and ask around to see if the field you are going into will provide you with these work at home possibilities. its not a short term thing.  you'd have a degree and be enrolled in online classes for 8 mos-2 yrs depending on how much time you can put into it-but its something you have for the future after the kidlets are grown.

a quicker solution is looking into fields you are normally good at or involved in-and getting creative. like maybe you can do some dog sitting or babysitting in your area or if you have experience, you can do freelance editing or freelance work for people on craigslist, etc.  this latter option is mostly good if you network and stuff or get lucky and find something that suits you.  otherwise, a long term but more stable solution is looking to get those data entry positions. not all require degrees. but again, this would require some luck and going to interviews and establishing urself first in the company before working form home. it would be like on-the-job training

good luck and take care! 

• imagemama_marmot:

hi!

sorry some ppl seem kind of snarky in their response.  maybe they have something against SAHMs and if so they shouldnt be replying to your question in the first place.  or maybe they are just bitter because theres a difference between being silly and being rude and having an attitude. taking the time to answer your question with an opinion rather than an answer to your question leads me to believe that they do in fact haabout the ve a little resentment about the issue and are using this as an opportunity to vent their negative views.  otherwise, they simply would ignore your question because they'd think its too silly to respond to. period.

with that being said, im new to the bump and am not much of a message board person but i know my way around and read up on a few and to tell you the truth, the 'search' like someone mentioned is not the best (ive literally spent over an hour looking for a certain message that i knew the title of and the writer of it but when i logged in, the screen would take me to the homepage and even with filters, i couldnt find it. it was bookmarked on another computer) and i always browse at least the first 2 pages of a board and i didnt see your question in the first 2 pages on here, even though i have no doubt that its been asked before. and all the boards ive read never had many rude responses if any at all so dont worry about it.

IN REGARDS TO YOUR QUESTION, the only thing i have to say is that i heard someone mention before how they do medical billing from home and that if you are looking for a stay at home position, you can either do an office job that you already worked at and talk to the boss about letting you work remotely-as some people here have mentioned, or you can look into data-entry type jobs (like medical billing) where you just need to input data and that can be done with any place that has internet and computer access at any time of the day providing that you get the job done on time. i think they'd work on it while they kid was napping or playing or something.  

since any income is good, i'd look into the possibility of maybe finding a vocational program where you can get your degree in a year or less and find jobs in data entry fields. of course, before doing any of that, you should consult with a counselor and ask around to see if the field you are going into will provide you with these work at home possibilities. its not a short term thing.  you'd have a degree and be enrolled in online classes for 8 mos-2 yrs depending on how much time you can put into it-but its something you have for the future after the kidlets are grown.

a quicker solution is looking into fields you are normally good at or involved in-and getting creative. like maybe you can do some dog sitting or babysitting in your area or if you have experience, you can do freelance editing or freelance work for people on craigslist, etc.  this latter option is mostly good if you network and stuff or get lucky and find something that suits you.  otherwise, a long term but more stable solution is looking to get those data entry positions. not all require degrees. but again, this would require some luck and going to interviews and establishing urself first in the company before working form home. it would be like on-the-job training

good luck and take care! 

You do realize we are SAHMs, right?  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"