Babies: 6 - 9 Months

BF and pumping for solids

So, my son recently started solid foods--in particular, cereals. For other BF moms out there, do you pump milk to add to the cereal? If so, when do you find time to do so? I'm a SAHM, and so my life revolves around my son. I feel like I can't pump during the day and watch him at the same time. I don't want to pump while he naps b/c he eats right after each nap, and I want to make sure he has enough.

When I try pumping when my husband gets home, it's the end of the day, and my body doesn't make that much milk. How does everyone do it??

Re: BF and pumping for solids

• I do pump because I'm a WAHM and when I have to go to work, I need milk.  I try to pump most days first thing in the morning after DS eats breakfast and is down for his morning nap.  That usually gives me the most milk b/c it's early.  You'll have the most supply earlier in the day.

That said, my pedi recommends using water in cereal rather than BM.  The water will (usually) have fluoride, which EBF babies need.  Plus you don't "waste" BM.  I add a tiny bit of apple juice too.  Cereal is disgusting tasting and it needs something to sweeten it or my babies won't it at all. 

• imageCiarrai:
    That said, my pedi recommends using water in cereal rather than BM.  The water will (usually) have fluoride, which EBF babies need.  Plus you don't "waste" BM. 

Our pedi also advised making the cereal with water so that's what I've done since starting DS on solids. 

the boymom is expecting a girl!
    big brothers 12.2009 and 02.2012
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I EP, so I have to find creative ways to fit 6 pumping sessions in my day.  In the morning we just hang out in bed together while I pump.  I also put her in her exersaucer and sit on the floor while pumping to keep her occupied. 

You will likely get the most milk in the morning, so trying pumping after your first feeding.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for asking this. I meant to post the same question, only I already punp because I work full time, so I was just wondering how others are able to pump even more for cereal and oatmeal. I feel like I am using most of supply, which is for DD when I am at work...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I introduced cereal I couldn't keep up with pumping enough for that and bottles. I'm trying to squeeze in 3 pumps at work but that is really really hard and pumping in the morning before I leave slows me down.  I ended up using formula a few times a week. She eats it just the same.  I try not to be too hard on myself and stress it. She is happy and healthy and that's what counts.
  • I always pump right before I go to bed around 11.  I feed DS at 7 before he goes down and he sleeps until 4:30 or 5, so I know that I won't need to feed him then.  I usually get 4 oz or so from that pumping session.  I never have enough time to pump in the morning...other than my first session at work.

When I'm low on EBM, I mix cereal with a little BM and water.  He still takes it, but DS is a peanut, so I try to get the extra calories in with the BM.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • imageHoneyBeeMel:
    Thanks for asking this. I meant to post the same question, only I already punp because I work full time, so I was just wondering how others are able to pump even more for cereal and oatmeal. I feel like I am using most of supply, which is for DD when I am at work...

I ran into this problem too.  At the same time, my regular output (not considering that I needed extra for oatmeal) started dwindling, so I have just added an extra 2 sessions to my day to get enough for DS's 3 bottles and oatmeal.  It sucks, but I'm determined to make it to a year with no formula so I'm doing whatever I have to do right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"