2nd Trimester

Breast Pumps

HI Ladies,

I am looking at purchasing a breast pump now that Target is having their baby sale... Since this is my first baby, I know nothing about breast pumps.

What brands are good?

What did you get and Why?

What are you thinking of getting and why?

Any special features that I should make sure to have?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breast Pumps

• imageMrs. Sarah&Micah:

HI Ladies,

I am looking at purchasing a breast pump now that Target is having their baby sale... Since this is my first baby, I know nothing about breast pumps.

What brands are good?

What did you get and Why?

What are you thinking of getting and why?

Any special features that I should make sure to have?

Big Boobs.  My niece had teeny ones and she could hardly get enough suction around her mini-nips.   She barely got a few trickles.  She did better letting the kid suck. 

• Medela is probably the best, but the most pricey. If you're planning on BF long term, I'd definitely invest in one.

Honestly, I'd say hold off on buying a breast pump until you know you're going to BF long term. It's not unheard of to have issues so serious that you have to resort to formula. Once BF is well established and you know you're going to stick with it long term, that's a better time to make the big investment. So few moms are BF by the time their LOs are 6 months old (statistically, about 65% of moms BF at the hospital, but only 22% of them make it to the 6 month mark) that a lot of the time an expensive pump isn't a good long term investment. When you're spending $300+ on a pump and you only nurse for 3 months, it would have been actually more cost effective to formula feed from the very beginning.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i  agree with pp. I had a terrible issue with supply and ended up only bfeeding for 10 weeks.  We rented a pump from a medical supply company until I knew for sure if it was something long term I was going to do.  I will do the same this time!
  • I love my Medela PISA.  It got me through 8 1/2 months with DS just fine.

As for the PP, size has NOTHING to do with pumping.  I was a sucktastic pumper.  Supply wasn't a problem...I just didn't respond well to the pump...ANY pump.  I got what I needed for DS and that was it.  No stash.  I'm an F...bigger than that when nursing.  My friend the A cup would get like 19 oz. at a time and I was sooooo jealous!!!  They have different size horns (what are those things called again?) and you just have to find the one that works for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Hello, I would check with your insurance company to see if it is covered.  It is likely that you will will be able to get a top grade pump for free or little cost as long as you get a note from your doctor and buy it from a hospital pharmacy.  That is what I did and I am about 17 weeks along.  Good luck!
  • I have the Lansinoh electric pump.  Worked really well for me.  Didn't have any issues.  Bought it because it was reasonably priced, was recommended and had a closed system (like hospital pumps).  The only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is hands free pumping.  I'm going to rig something bra-wise this time around to make that happen.  That shall be interesting in and of itself, but it will work... 
  • imagesoontobhartwell:
    Hello, I would check with your insurance company to see if it is covered.  It is likely that you will will be able to get a top grade pump for free or little cost as long as you get a note from your doctor and buy it from a hospital pharmacy.  That is what I did and I am about 17 weeks along.  Good luck!

Yeah, I called and it's not covered unless medically necessary (ie. I deliver before 37 weeks, baby has a physical problem that prevents it from sucking such as cleft pallet or I develop a breast infection)

• medela pump in style is great
  • I bought the medela PIS at target because that is what my dr. recommened.  I bought it at the Target baby sale and saved $100 off the price becasue it is on sale for like $50 off the original this week and i had a 10% savings and a coupon from them for registering there.  Couldn't pass up a deal that good.  I'm just not opening it until after the baby comes and i know i will use it otherwise i'll just return it un-opened. 
  • I loved my Medela.  Used it for 9 months everyday.  It is so worth the investment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"