2nd Trimester

Not coming back after baby?

I have a question. If anyone knows or has any insight it would be helpful as I do not want to ask the HR dept at work and let on that I may not come back to work here after I have the baby.

I am hoping to find somewhere else to work after I have the baby, mainly to be closer to home, but also to have better work hours. What I am curious about ister my short m disability insurance. Will I have to pay it back if I do not return to working here after maternity leave? Its not like I would be choosing to be a SAHM I would plan to just work somewhere else. Maybe some of you who already have children may know about this. TIA!

BabyFruit Ticker
Married 1/20/07
DD Born: 2/18/11
LO #2 EDD: 10/16/15

Re: Not coming back after baby?

• Unfortuantely it's all going to depend on your company's specific policies. Some people have to end up paying back the full premiums on their health insurance. Others don't. Some may have to pay back all the money they earn from disability, others won't.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In my case I do not us the heath insurance benefits at my work, I get them through my DHs work, but I am concerned about the short term disability. I am ot opposed to coming back for a couple months if need be to make sure I wouldnt owe for the disability. But if I wouldnt have to pay it back, then I would like to look for a new job while on maternity leave. Would it be wise to call the disability insurance provider?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
  • Loading the player...
  • I have no idea what your work would do, but it's honestly a little shady. Why would your work even want to pay your short-term disability when you don't plan on returning to work for them?

If you are not opposed to it I would try to return to that job, give them proper notification so they can possibly train someone to replace you before looking for a new job. 

• if you need to return, could you return and give your 2 week notice that same day?
    TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • imageKim&Ben:

I have no idea what your work would do, but it's honestly a little shady. Why would your work even want to pay your short-term disability when you don't plan on returning to work for them?

If you are not opposed to it I would try to return to that job, give them proper notification so they can possibly train someone to replace you before looking for a new job. 

It seems like the OP wants to find a position closer to home. Why would she quit one job without having another job lined up?

• imageVazquezGal:
    In my case I do not us the heath insurance benefits at my work, I get them through my DHs work, but I am concerned about the short term disability. I am ot opposed to coming back for a couple months if need be to make sure I wouldnt owe for the disability. But if I wouldnt have to pay it back, then I would like to look for a new job while on maternity leave. Would it be wise to call the disability insurance provider?

They may not know, as it might be something between employee/employer.

Can you look through your company handbook? Maybe get a copy of the paperwork you signed upon hire to see the policies?

• I don't know, but it's definitely super shady and unethical to make plans like that. If you don't plan on returning to your current work place after you have the baby, you should inform them of that.
  • I don't really think it's "shady." She'll be lucky if they don't fire her for even inquiring.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecitychicks:
    I don't really think it's "shady." She'll be lucky if they don't fire her for even inquiring.

Ditto. I did something similar as the OP. I had a full-time job when I was pregnant with DS. I was hoping to find a part time job on maternity leave (which I did). I didn't quit my job until I had another job lined up, especially since I wasn't sold on being a full-time SAHM and if I didn't have another job, I didn't want to quit the one I already had. Why would someone quit a job unless they were 100% certain they wouldn't be returning?

• It's not shady...What's shady is how companies will find a way to fire you once they find out your even pregnant!
  • Ask your HR department for a full description of the maternity leave policy including short term disability payments, etc. The info may be in there. Every company is going to be different. If I was going to inquire specifically about penalties, I'd probably wait until I was already on maternity leave and then call HR and inquire about any penalties and required repayment if you did not come back to work full time for a certain period after leave it over. Some companies require a specific period of employment after leave (eg 3 or 6 mo) in order to avoid having to repay amounts received.
  • It's not shady. 

I did something similar, and did not have to pay back the short term disability.  At the company I worked for you had to be employed for 1 year to 'earn' the right to short term disability.  Since I had been there 4 years I was in the clear.  I ended up quitting at the end of my maternity leave and working for the company part time as a consultant.  Even if I had quit outright, I don't think it would have been shady.  We honestly weren't sure if I would be returning or not before having the baby so I couldn't give them a heads up.  You have every right to not want to quit the job before finding another...especially in this economy. 

Maybe you can try talking to someone in HR and ask that the conversation be kept private.  If you work in a big enough company there should be plenty of separation between your supervisor and someone who works in HR.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageFutureMrsCaesar:

It's not shady. 

I did something similar, and did not have to pay back the short term disability.  At the company I worked for you had to be employed for 1 year to 'earn' the right to short term disability.  Since I had been there 4 years I was in the clear.  I ended up quitting at the end of my maternity leave and working for the company part time as a consultant.  Even if I had quit outright, I don't think it would have been shady.  We honestly weren't sure if I would be returning or not before having the baby so I couldn't give them a heads up.  You have every right to not want to quit the job before finding another...especially in this economy. 

Maybe you can try talking to someone in HR and ask that the conversation be kept private.  If you work in a big enough company there should be plenty of separation between your supervisor and someone who works in HR.

As someone who works in HR, I'd definitely advise against it. Regardless of the size of a company, if HR hears someone may not be returning after maternity leave they would definitely notify that department manager so they could plan accordingly. That's not something they'd keep quiet on, and with good cause. Of course a department is going to want to be prepared if someone may not be returning to work.

• imageKim&Ben:

I have no idea what your work would do, but it's honestly a little shady. Why would your work even want to pay your short-term disability when you don't plan on returning to work for them?

My empoyer will not be paying my short term disability. I pay each pay check for the coverage to a short term disability insurance company. Essentially it is an insurance policy I pay for. No money that I get while on leave comes from my company.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
  • imageOliveBaby:
    I don't know, but it's definitely super shady and unethical to make plans like that. If you don't plan on returning to your current work place after you have the baby, you should inform them of that.

I'm only considering it because I MAY try to find a job somewhere else. If I don't then I don't I have no problem coming back after. But if I can find something closer to home with better hours I would like to take the opportunity. Its not like I am planning to become a SAHM and never come back, if that was my plan I would just tell them an not even collect the short term disability pay. What I will probably end up doing is come back here after and re-evaluate the situation and determine if it is still realistic for me to continue commuting 50 MILES each way to work.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
  • I think what you have to do is come back after your leave, and give your two weeks notice the same day. Your company will decide if they want you to work that two weeks or not. We have people here do that all the time. Is it shady? Maybe a little, but they've all paid their dues and earned their maternity leave. It's not like the company pays your salary during short-term disability. Short-term disability insurance is a benefit we all receive if we've worked here at least a year. There's nothing wrong with quitting shortly after you use it.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageKC_13:
    imageKim&Ben:

It seems like the OP wants to find a position closer to home. Why would she quit one job without having another job lined up?

I am not saying I plan to quit without having something lined up. I am just saying, if an opportunity presents itself while I am on maternity leave and I decide to take it and not return to my pervious employer, would I need to pay back the short term disability to the insurance company? I am not stupid, I would not quit a job without having another lined up when I have a baby to provide for.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
  • imageFutureMrsCaesar:

It's not shady. 

Thank you for the useful input. Your situation is very similar to mine. I appreciate your help. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
  • imageVazquezGal:

imageOliveBaby:
    I don't know, but it's definitely super shady and unethical to make plans like that. If you don't plan on returning to your current work place after you have the baby, you should inform them of that.

I'm only considering it because I MAY try to find a job somewhere else. If I don't then I don't I have no problem coming back after. But if I can find something closer to home with better hours I would like to take the opportunity. Its not like I am planning to become a SAHM and never come back, if that was my plan I would just tell them an not even collect the short term disability pay. What I will probably end up doing is come back here after and re-evaluate the situation and determine if it is still realistic for me to continue commuting 50 MILES each way to work.

So why not look for a new job now? Why wait and give your company the impression that you plan to return after you have the kid? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"