Babies: 6 - 9 Months

BLW at a restaurant - people kept staring

After battling purees and DH we finally moved on to BLW. It has been the best thing for our family.

Yesterday was our first time BLWing at a restaurant. We all did great, but people kept staring. I don't know if it was out of curiousity, amazement or disgust. I think I felt a little of all from it. I serioulsy felt as if I was BF'ing in public all over again.

How do people react when you BLW in public?

Random question: If you are BF, Does Lo want you after eating too? I feed DS and then give him "real" food. Afterwards it seems as if he wants something to wash it down. We are still struggling with the sippy cup as he wants to bite it.

Here is Z eating brocolli while we were out. Please share your pictures of your BLW babies.

Re: BLW at a restaurant - people kept staring

• right now Lucy doesn't have a super big interest in finger foods.

But as far as the sippy. Lucy loved to gnaw on hers so i wouldn't worry about that, it was because she was trying to pop a tooth through.

Let him hold it but you may need to help him tip it up to get some water through there.

I would say it took Lucy a solid month to be really good at it.

Or try a straw sippy or just hold a glass for Z to drink out of.GL

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• We have done BLW in restaurants TONS by now.  Often people used to stare but now she eats so well that we don't get that much, she's also big for her months.

In this pic we're at a Costa Rican  restaurant.  She pretty much cleaned her plate by the end.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Excuse my ignorance but what does BLW stand for?
  • imagePookster1020:
    Excuse my ignorance but what does BLW stand for?

Baby Led Weaning. Here is some info on it:

https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm

• imagePookster1020:
    Excuse my ignorance but what does BLW stand for?

Baby Led weaning, essentially doing finger foods instead of purees or in combination

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• @ ashpal - Thanks. It was a little uncomfortable, but I tried to not let it show. DH is barely getting comfortable and I didn't want to scare him. We did have a gentlemen behind us that made us smile. His daughter (around 6ish) was pointing at DS eating. The dad tells the little girl "see the baby eats his vegetables and you don't". It was Cute.

@ Ctri - Good point about the sippy. We do fill it all the way to the top, so he doesn't have problems getting water. He holds it up just fine.

@ Diane - Z is actually really good with eating. He doesn't gagg anymore or anything. He just picks it up and munches on it. He doesn't really care for the florets on the broccoli, he just sucks the life out of the branch part. Afterwards he put it on his plate and waits for the next one. I try to only give him so many at a time. He will attempt to put them all in his mouth. It may be that he looks young for eating broccoli like this.

• strawberry 

watermelon

black beans

• Thank you.  My LO is now FF but he has absolutely no interest in the pureed foods anymore.

What kinds of food are you feeding your LO's?

• People stared at my baby while he was eating crackers, whatever.  I usually try to get some type of vegatable he can feed himself when I get my meal.  I still bring purees with me just in case. 

Maybe people are just jealous because your LO eats better than they do.

I usually nurse him first, then give him his finger foods.  He does fantastic with his sippy though.

• imagePookster1020:

Thank you.  My LO is now FF but he has absolutely no interest in the pureed foods anymore.

What kinds of food are you feeding your LO's?

Zaiden has had a world of foods. We still stick to the guidlines according to his months. See link : https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood6to8montholdbaby.htm

We just cut them in pieces he can hold. sweet potatoes have been one of his favorites. Squash in circles, sweet potato fries (baked), green beans, carrots, quarted baked apples, plums, canteloupe, pluots, and bananas are some others.

• FWIW I love cruising the pics at the face book page for Baby Led Weaning....when I was starting it with DD I spent ages going through them to get comfy with the idea of it and to get lots of ideas

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imagediana.filipi:

FWIW I love cruising the pics at the face book page for Baby Led Weaning....when I was starting it with DD I spent ages going through them to get comfy with the idea of it and to get lots of ideas

I added them this weekend. Do you have a blog?

• We haven't been to any restaurants, as we don't eat out that often, but we did have DS at his cousin's birthday at an indoor play centre. She was a year old and being spoonfed her food, while DS tucked in to a cheese sandwich and some melon cubes.

People stared, but mainly because they were impressed. 

• I didn't really follow BLW, but now that DS is a little older I try to give him a bit of what we're eating.  I would love to be able to give him all finger foods, but I'm afraid he'd always be hungry.  We gave him some potatoes this weekend and he got bored pretty quickly.  I usually give him some puree along with the meal so that he gets full.
  • I don't BLW but every time we go anywhere people stare at Riley. We went out to eat Sunday night and we had a few people comment to us about how cute she is (though one of them commented how cute "he" is, haha).  I mean, of course I believe she is cute, and she is a very happy baby, but I mostly think people just like staring at babies!

That is a really cute picture of your son eating broccoli!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"