Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Why Did You Quit BF'ing?

....DD is just shy of 4mo, and I am contemplating stopping and going to formula....but I feel totally guilty. Just wondering why some of you other mom's decided to quit?.....thanks.

Re: Why Did You Quit BF'ing?

• My supply sucked due to PCOS but the main reason was because DD had a milk protein intolerance...I tried taking out milk products but she still had insane rashes from it so I just started FF. She was a much happier baby after that :-) And that means I was a much happier momma!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I quit because DD was a horribly lazy eater, it would take cold cloths to wake her up enough to eat.  We fought through for 5 weeks, I had supply issues and took every suppliment under the sun to bring it up.  Then one morning DD scratched her face so hard she bled while I was trying to BF her and that was it for me.

I felt guilty for a while, but looking back on it I know that was what was best for DD and my sanity.

• Loading the player...
  • I quit BF b/c LO would not latch. I still pump, but am considering stopping. I've been having supply issues the past few weeks.
  • I am on the verge of quitting due to supply issues.  I was able to sort of keep up with lots of pumping and some supplementing, but now that I am back at work my supply has tanked. 

LO is mostly on formula now and no matter how hard I try I get about 4-6 oz per day pumping.  My goal was to make it to Labor day, so at this point any day extra is just added bonus.  

I felt very guilty for a long time, but I see how happy LO is on formula and that he is actually satified for more then 60 minutes and it makes it all worth it. 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I quit after 6 weeks because she had problems latching on, we battled Thrush on and off, and the pain was terrible. I was so stressed which stressed her and my DF out, so we decided to switch to formula. She's been satisfied and happy ever since and it was the best decision for our family. I'm going to try BF again with the next LO though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Mikaela is going to have a little brother! BabyFetus Ticker
  • We had three issues right at the start for BFing, LO was premature, I had a c-section, and I had a breast reduction about 8 years ago, this all led to various problems that contributed to a rough start, after lots of trying, upset baby due to slow let down, nipple confusion, and lazy feeding my LC and I concluded I should be a pumper.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • I did it for 10 weeks. I was able to do it when I went back to work at my old job b/c we were in an office and it was easy to get away for 20 minutes to pump. However, at my new job I work retail and there was no way I would be able to go to my car and pump and get back with the lousy couple of breaks I get during a day. Plus, even just training for this job would have been impossible to get away.

I felt VERY guilty but in the beginning when she was only eating 4oz at a time I would be able to pump a days worth of formula+ more. However, now she was taking 6oz there was no way I was able to produce that much. If I got one serving I was lucky. So I just stopped. And in all honestly I feel better about it now. I feel "freer" if that makes sense. I felt such a need to rush home to pump or find a place to nurse, etc and I couldn't deal. Now I have more time to just spend with her! I rather take that 20 min that I had to pump and clean to spend with her. :)

• I have thyriod disease and the meds aren't safe for BFing moms. I had to choose to continue to BF or take meds. I wasn't producing much milk anyway, so I opted for the meds.

• I am still BFing, but contemplating weaning because LO has 2 bottom teeth and keeps biting me.  I am trying to break the habit, but no luck so far.
  • imageabartow:

I am on the verge of quitting due to supply issues.  I was able to sort of keep up with lots of pumping and some supplementing, but now that I am back at work my supply has tanked. 

LO is mostly on formula now and no matter how hard I try I get about 4-6 oz per day pumping.  My goal was to make it to Labor day, so at this point any day extra is just added bonus.  

I felt very guilty for a long time, but I see how happy LO is on formula and that he is actually satified for more then 60 minutes and it makes it all worth it. 

This for me. My goal was to keep BFing until I was back to school, and I made it until then plus a couple weeks, so I'm happy. She's just over four months old, and I'm happy that I was able to do it this long. I was pumping, but never had enough to really build a stash - and now that I'm back to work AND school, my supply has pretty much vanished because I don't have the time to pump. From 7:30 in the morning until 4:30, I'm non-stop back and forth from work to school and vice versa with no time in between to pump to keep my supply up.

Kinley Joy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Reason #1: I got Mastitis for the second time in a 2-week period.  It was the most pain I've ever been in and I really, honestly couldn't take care of my kids.  When I got the second antibiotic, I told my doc I was done BF, so they also gave me some Vicodin to help with the pain of the mastitis combined with the pain of drying up.  

Reason #2: My toddler was acting up everytime I BF the baby and it was really challenging.  

Stopping was a great decision for my family, and unless you count the cost of formula, I don't regret it at all. 

• imageKelsoXOXO:
    I quit after 6 weeks because she had problems latching on, we battled Thrush on and off, and the pain was terrible. I was so stressed which stressed her and my DF out, so we decided to switch to formula. She's been satisfied and happy ever since and it was the best decision for our family. I'm going to try BF again with the next LO though.

This exactly.  I had thrush almost constantly no matter what I did to get rid of it. DD had a bad reaction to the thrush drops the doc gave her, I would get clogged ducts every time I wore a bra, I had a painful let down (on top of the pain from the thrush), DD was a lazy eater (like, over an hour to eat) and had a bad latch no matter how many LCs I saw. 

I toughed it out for two and a half months and then I decided to pump and bottle feed to try to get rid of the thrush and as soon as I did that my supply tanked to almost nothing so I just switched to formula.  

We're ALL much happier!

However, I totally plan to try breastfeeding again with my next LO.!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • I wouldn't give my baby formula.Formula fed babies suffer from poor vagal nerve tone because of the formula and their autonomic nervous systems are measurably disordered.  That makes them sleepier and less alert than breastfed newborns. Poor vagal nerve tone in a newborn is related to inferior motor and mental development for at least two years after birth.  While formula is commonly perceived to be the medically recommended second-choice infant food after breastfeeding, the World Health Organization (WHO) actually states: "The second choice is the mother's own milk expressed and given to the infant in some way. The third choice is the milk of another human mother. The fourth and last choice is artificial baby milk." 

• With so many American babies -- and particularly those at socioeconomic risk -- relying on this single food source for their growth and nutritional well-being, it is incumbent upon those concerned with infant-maternal health issues to examine breastmilk substitutes carefully and critically. Unfortunately, many health-care professionals and public-health officials avoid scrutinizing the production and marketing of commercial infant formula in the United States under the mistaken assumption that providing consumers with all the facts on artificial breastmilk substitutes willcausebottle-feeding mothers to feel guilty for not breastfeeding. In fact, this unwillingness to explore the safety and nutritional competency of infant formulas only succeeds in retarding consumer pressure for better quality. As Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC, and a recognized expert on infant nutrition writes: "This paternalistic view seeks to protect women from making 'poor' choices for themselves and their infant, and robs parents of the right to informed decision making. Withholding information generates more anger than guilt in parents..."("A Fresh Look At The Risks of Artificial Infant Feeding", J Hum Lact 9(3), 1993).

• One of the least publicized risks of infant formula is inescapably inherent in the consumption of any commercially prepared and mass-marketed food product: between 1982 and 1994 alone, there were twenty-two signifigant recalls of infant formula in the United States due to health and safety problems. At least seven of these recalls were classified by the FDA as "Class I", meaning the problem could be life threatening. In several instances, random lots of lab-tested infant formula have been found to contain bacterial and elemental contaminants that, while a risk to infant health, do not rise to the level of threat considered appropriate for a widespread recall by the FDA. In February of 1995, FDA special agents uncovered a successful criminal scheme in California in which
    thousands of cans of substandard infant formula had been improperly labeled for resale. No one knows how many infants received this counterfeit product in their bottles.

• Physicians and other health-care providers in the developing world were
    bribed by formula manufacturers to steer patients away from breastfeeding and toward a particular brand of synthetic infant nutrition. Age-old cultural norms of exclusive and extended breastfeeding were disrupted as huge advertising campaigns convinced women that commercial infant formula was the "modern, sterile, western" way to feed babies. New mothers were lured into giving birth in hospitals funded by infant formula manufacturers. There, these women were encouraged to offer bottles of artificial breastmilk substitutes -- a practice proven to disrupt breastfeeding.

Mothers and babies were then sent home with a small "free" supply
    of infant formula. By the time the supply ran out, baby was refusing the breast, mother's own milk supply was diminished, and the typical, impoverished family was unable to pay for any more infant formula. These practices, combined with an unsanitary water supply, lack of sterilization and refrigeration facilities, and poor access to medical care, conspired to kill millions of third-world babies each year, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). 

• Snacksnick, I don't care what you say or where you got that from, formula is keeping my girl healthy and happy - gotten perfect dr reports at each appointment and she's healthy as can be, gaining weight and growing fast. That's fine is you don't wanna use formula, but I do. It's been beneficial and safe for my daughter so I'm gonna use it with pride knowing I'm doing what's right for her and our family. Thanks though!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Mikaela is going to have a little brother! BabyFetus Ticker
  • Oh, geeze!  Sorry for what you attracted here....  ;)

I quit BFing at 3 months because DS refused to latch, and have been exclusively pumping since then.  My supply is dramatically tanking right now, and I have tried everything short of prescription drugs to improve it.  I'm having to supplement with stash and formula to keep up with his demands, and it's getting to the point where I am feeling angry at my supply and wondering why I'm even bothering!  So I'll likely wait another week before doing anything differently, but I suspect we'll have a formula fed baby within the next month because it's just getting to be impossible to keep the milk supply up despite pumping 8 times a day.

Like others said, sometimes you have to do what's right for you and other times your hand is forced.  But there's nothing bad about formula other than it's not breastmilk....this formula-fed adult turned out just fine.  :) 

Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"