1st Trimester

two stupid questions

I've been cramping on and off all day. Is that normal?

There is a carnival down the street. It says no pregnant women, but I'm barely pregnant and I would've gone on the rides if I hadn't gotten the bfp. How bad is it if I go and ride a few of them, like the ferris wheel, or the tornado ... or the bumper cars? That warning is to stop women from causing brain damage to their fetus, right? I'm OK at four weeks ... right?

I told you they were stupid. Stick out tongue

Re: two stupid questions

• Cramping is normal. I'd be comfortable riding a ferris wheel, but that's about it.

• Cramping is normal they say.  Ferris wheel is fine.  Bumper cars not so much if you want to stay pregnant.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with GRK on both.
    BFP - 8/28 Beta 1 - 3,363 - 9/1 U/S 1 - 9/10 - Heartbeat 125 Est. DD - 4/30, Induced 4/23 Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog
  • I just have to ask.... are you saying that because you are only 4 weeks, you cannot cause brain damage to your child, and therefore it is safe to participate in the rides at the fair?

Just wanting to clarify before I answer the question.

• The reason for the warning varies depending on how pregnant you are.  Right now for you, it would be because you could miscarry.  It can also be because of the risk of the placenta detaching, injury to you/baby, premature labor, etc.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Welcome and congrats too!!

• imageGreen*Flamingo:

I just have to ask.... are you saying that because you are only 4 weeks, you cannot cause brain damage to your child, and therefore it is safe to participate in the rides at the fair?

There really isn't even a brain at this point, right? There's no heartbeat. There's just a fetal pole, if that. No spinal cord. The embryo is the size of a pin head.

So, yes, I suppose that is what I'm saying. Or wondering, that is.

• Cramping is common.

Let me ask you this: If you rode the ride and then had a loss, would you ever in a million years be able to forgive yourself? I don't think a two minute ride is worth any amount of risk, personally.

• imageelmoali:
    The reason for the warning varies depending on how pregnant you are.  Right now for you, it would be because you could miscarry.  It can also be because of the risk of the placenta detaching, injury to you/baby, premature labor, etc.

But the placenta doesn't develop until week 10. (I've been reading my books!)

So it would be a miscarriage possibility ... like a liability thing for the carnival? Because if I fell down the stairs or was in a car accident, the same could be true ... or I could wake up tomorrow and miscarry for no reason whatsoever. Right?

• Cramping is common and I wouldn't go on any of the rides.
  • imagenic5606:

Welcome and congrats too!!

Thank you!

• imagenewgirl1929:

imageelmoali:
    The reason for the warning varies depending on how pregnant you are.  Right now for you, it would be because you could miscarry.  It can also be because of the risk of the placenta detaching, injury to you/baby, premature labor, etc.

But the placenta doesn't develop until week 10. (I've been reading my books!)

So it would be a miscarriage possibility ... like a liability thing for the carnival? Because if I fell down the stairs or was in a car accident, the same could be true ... or I could wake up tomorrow and miscarry for no reason whatsoever. Right?

Yes.

So why would you increase your risk by riding a ride that has a clear warning on it? It's one carnival in your life. Skip it.

• Falling down the steps and getting into an accident are unpredictable though.  So you can't ride the bumper cars for about 40 weeks...I'd give up that any day to save my baby, no questions asked.  Why take a risk when you don't have to?
    BFP - 8/28 Beta 1 - 3,363 - 9/1 U/S 1 - 9/10 - Heartbeat 125 Est. DD - 4/30, Induced 4/23 Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog
  • imagenewgirl1929:
    imageGreen*Flamingo:

I just have to ask.... are you saying that because you are only 4 weeks, you cannot cause brain damage to your child, and therefore it is safe to participate in the rides at the fair?

There really isn't even a brain at this point, right? There's no heartbeat. There's just a fetal pole, if that. No spinal cord. The embryo is the size of a pin head.

Correct- no heartbeat, and while everything is developing there are not any true organs yet. However, the issue isn't that just that the rides could cause brain damage. Your placenta is forming and attaching itself to your uterus- jerking movements could cause hemorrhage. The risk is there for miscarriage, and as a previous poster pointed out- do you want to have the guilt if something did happen?

A few minutes on a ride isn't worth dealing with the loss of a life. Ferris wheel aside, stay off of the rides.

• This post is getting me angry now. Probably because I am bleeding and likely miscarrying.  Regardless, Stay off the darn rides if you are happy to be pregnant. This is not a difficult decision.

• OK, thanks for the advice! I'll be skipping the carnival this year!
  • imagenic5606:
    This post is getting me angry now. Probably because I am bleeding and likely miscarrying.  Regardless, Stay off the darn rides if you are happy to be pregnant. This is not a difficult decision.

I am so sorry. I hope the coming days bring better news for you.

• imagenic5606:
    This post is getting me angry now. Probably because I am bleeding and likely miscarrying.  Regardless, Stay off the darn rides if you are happy to be pregnant. This is not a difficult decision.

Hey, I never meant to offend anyone. 

Best of luck to you!

• imageambrandau2:

imagenic5606:

I am so sorry. I hope the coming days bring better news for you.

Thank you. I hope this one is the one to the finish line for you too. H&H 9 months.

• imagenewgirl1929:
    imageGreen*Flamingo:

Well if your baby turns out to be anything like you I can't guarantee a brain will ever develop so you may not have to worry! Confused

• imagenic5606:

I'm so sorry to see this.
    The moment I realized I was pregnant, I fell in love with that little mass of cells inside my body.  I didn't care if there was no brain, no spine, no heartbeat and I told one of my BFF's that I didn't understand how some women didn't immediately change their habits to make sure they did everything to make sure their baby would be ok.
    It's stories like Nic that should make any woman who even has to wonder if something is harmful quickly realize no risk should be taken, especially when the situation flat out tells you not to.
    Again, Nic, I'm so sorry to see this and I send all my thoughts and prayers your way.

My Blog
  • imagerkearns0821:
    imagenewgirl1929:
    imageGreen*Flamingo:

Well if your baby turns out to be anything like you I can't guarantee a brain will ever develop so you may not have to worry! Confused

::dies::

• imagenic5606:

I'm so sorry to see this.
    The moment I realized I was pregnant, I fell in love with that little mass of cells inside my body.  I didn't care if there was no brain, no spine, no heartbeat and I told one of my BFF's that I didn't understand how some women didn't immediately change their habits to make sure they did everything to make sure their baby would be ok.
    It's stories like Nic that should make any woman who even has to wonder if something is harmful quickly realize no risk should be taken, especially when the situation flat out tells you not to.
    Again, Nic, I'm so sorry to see this and I send all my thoughts and prayers your way.

My Blog
  • imagenewgirl1929:
    OK, thanks for the advice! I'll be skipping the carnival this year!

You can go but skip the flipping, fast spinning and jerking rides.  Or ignore what everyone is saying, go to the carnival and go on all the rides 10 times each.

• I don't think you need to skip the carnival. Sometimes it's fun just to walk around (and eat yummy carnival food!)

Early in pregnancy, I don't think there's a lot of risk when it comes to going on some of the types of rides they have at carnivals. I would think anything that's not too jerky or anything that doesn't move too fast would be ok. So I would think the Ferris Wheel, Merry Go Round, etc. would be ok. The warnings they put on rides are to protect themselves from liability, but there is still a risk involved.

Even at 4 weeks, I would definitely avoid the bumper cars, and other rides that are rough or fast. Just doesn't seem worth it. But that doesn't mean you need to skip the carnival altogether! I'm sure you can find some fun things to do there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Cramping is definitely normal in the first tri. I would say the ferris wheel is probably ok, but definitely avoid the others. You could cause much more then just brain damage by going on this rides. You could potentially cause a m/c.
    ~Jessica~ "Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away" ~Uknown "You don't marry the person you can live with...you marry the person you can't live without." ~Uknown
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    An angel opened the book of life and wrote down my baby's birth, Then she whispered as she closed the book, "Too beautiful for earth." ~Unknown We lost our "Squishy" to a m/c on 10/06/2010. He/she went to heaven with my Dad and our Heavenly Father.
  • Towards the end of my first trimester, I went to an amusement park with my family. I had fun walking around and I went on a few kiddie rides with my little sister. I also went on the ferris wheel and the swings as well as the teacups. Other than that, I avoided the rides. I didn't go on anything that was super fast, bumpy, jerky, flippy, etc. I only went on the rides that were smooth and safe for a small child to ride really.
  • imageambrandau2:

Cramping is common.

Let me ask you this: If you rode the ride and then had a loss, would you ever in a million years be able to forgive yourself? I don't think a two minute ride is worth any amount of risk, personally.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but it seems like you are truly trying to justify why you should be able to ride the rides. If you want to ride the rides, then by all means do it. If you can't wait 38-40 weeks to ride the rides, then go ahead. But, please know that you are putting two human beings at risk by making this decision. You have to understand that even though your baby is just a cell right now, it's a baby non the less. You are on here contemplating putting your child in harms way while there are other mothers on here who have had miscarriages while being absolutely careful and cautious in everything they do. There are mothers who have tried for a very long time to conceive, and there are mothers who can't even conceive at all. So, if you are trying to come on here to get our o.k. to go on the rides, you're not going to get it. But you do need to think long and hard about what you are going to do and how it is going to effect that beautiful bundle of joy you have growing inside of you. You are absolutely right that it is nothing more then just a cell right now, which is more of a reason why you have to make sure the cell continues to grow and continues to be safe in the womb.

~Jessica~ "Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away" ~Uknown "You don't marry the person you can live with...you marry the person you can't live without." ~Uknown
    An angel opened the book of life and wrote down my baby's birth, Then she whispered as she closed the book, "Too beautiful for earth." ~Unknown We lost our "Squishy" to a m/c on 10/06/2010. He/she went to heaven with my Dad and our Heavenly Father.
  • imageGreen*Flamingo:
    imagenewgirl1929:
    imageGreen*Flamingo:

Correct- no heartbeat, and while everything is developing there are not any true organs yet. However, the issue isn't that just that the rides could cause brain damage. Your placenta is forming and attaching itself to your uterus- jerking movements could cause hemorrhage. The risk is there for miscarriage, and as a previous poster pointed out- do you want to have the guilt if something did happen?

A few minutes on a ride isn't worth dealing with the loss of a life. Ferris wheel aside, stay off of the rides.

I am very sorry to hear that! I really hope all is well with you and your baby.

• imagenewgirl1929:

imagenic5606:

Hey, I never meant to offend anyone. 

Best of luck to you!

you are a brainless douche.

• Am I the only one who thinks this is MUD? Seriously, her sn is "newgirl" for chips sake.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • imagerkearns0821:
    imagenewgirl1929:
    imageGreen*Flamingo:

so mean and uncalled for. and frankly, rude.

• Total MUD.
  • imageAmylynn&Aaron:
    imagerkearns0821:
    imagenewgirl1929:
    imageGreen*Flamingo:

Uh oh, bump police!
    I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • As other pp said...Cramping is normal but I definitely wouldn't go on rides.  I'd rather sacrifice my own fun for my baby.
  • I was 4 weeks pregnant and went to an amusement park. I called my OB first and talked to the doctor since many of the rides said "no pregnant women. H"e told me that at 4 weeks, I could ride whatever I wanted, and that the warnings were for women who were further in their pregnancies. He was more concerned about me drinking lots of fluids since I'd be outside all day and it was HOT. I chose not to ride any rides with a lap bar for extra caution's sake or anything that was jerky, but I did a log jam (no lap belt, you held onto the sides of the cart) and a couple of other small rides.

I'd call your OB and see what s/he says. 

• imageAmylynn&Aaron:
    imagerkearns0821:
    imagenewgirl1929:
    imageGreen*Flamingo:

Oh my gosh, I didn't realize I was being rude. Thank you so much for policing the boards so that meanies like me can learn my lesson.

Get over yourself...She asked a completely moronic question and then tried to justify it by explaining that "the baby doesn't have a brain".

If you don't like it...don't respond or go play on babygaga

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"