1st Trimester

Doctor or hospital first?

Hi ladies.  DH got a new job and we've relocated to a new state.  Shortly after he accepted the job I found out I was pregnant.  Now that we're settled (and since I'm almost 9 weeks) we need to find a doctor.  What should we do first - find a doctor that we like or find a hospital that we like and choose from one of their doctors?  This is our first so I'm not exactly sure how this works.  Thanks for any advice!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Doctor or hospital first?

• I would find your doctor first.
  • Find a doctor you like and trust.  That is more important than which hospital you give birth in.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with finding the doc.  The hospital is only a couple of days, but you'll be seeing the doc a whole awful lot.
  • I actually chose my hospital first. We had a few choices, and they all had such different rules/attitudes about birth. One was very open to all sorts of birth plans and had a very low c-section rate; another was very "stay in bed and we'll get that baby out of you" sort of place, with a very high section rate. I contacted the education director and asked for a list of drs and midwives that delivered in the hospital I liked and started calling around. I made some consultation appointments and then chose the one I liked. I feel like I know what sort of experience I'll have since I already know what the hospital is like. Sometimes the Dr's practice can be influenced by the hospital rules.
  • I chose my hospital first as well. However, I did so because I will not deliver at the hospital that treated my DH's family so poorly when his nephew died. If you don't know the reputation of the hospitals and have no reason to pick one over the other, then choose your doctor first.
  • For us, it's the hospital first.  We want one with a capable NICU and good reviews.  The nurses will be around wayyyyy more than the doctor and the hospital will matter a whole bunch those 2-3 days.  Then, we found a good doctor connected with the hospital we wanted.  GL

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • In our area a few of the hospitals are very supportive of natural births while others push epidurals, etc. So for me, I looked at Dr's first and then where they delivered and made sure that they delivered where I was comfortable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I honestly chose my Dr. first and just loved the hospital options. Luckily though, my Dr. delivered at 2 different hospitals, so if I didn't like the one, I could go to the other.
    ~Jessica~ "Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away" ~Uknown "You don't marry the person you can live with...you marry the person you can't live without." ~Uknown
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    An angel opened the book of life and wrote down my baby's birth, Then she whispered as she closed the book, "Too beautiful for earth." ~Unknown We lost our "Squishy" to a m/c on 10/06/2010. He/she went to heaven with my Dad and our Heavenly Father.
  • I picked the hospital (closest to my home, brand new facility, friend delivered there last October) and they have their own OB clinic (not at the hospital) so I'll have a group of doc's to choose from!
  • We chose our Dr. based on the hospital we want to deliver at.  We have a hospital that's 5 minutes from our house but there in no NICU.  So, we chose a hospital about 25 minutes away with a lever IV NICU and then asked the hospital to recommend Dr.'s.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"