Baby Showers

New to the whole shower thing,

Is 2 weeks before EDD to late in the game? 

Re: New to the whole shower thing,

• Is that when your host/hostess wants to have it or is that when you want to throw it for yourself? 

If a) it's later than normal, but do-able.  if it's b) yes, it's too late.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Oh no I would not throw myself a shower, this is a woman from our church who I am close with also my mom threw her daughter a shower. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Just be sure to be crossing your fingers and legs!

And be ready to get the gear you will still need right after the shower so you can get everything ready ASAP.

• imagemommamathews3719:
    Oh no I would not throw myself a shower, this is a woman from our church who I am close with also my mom threw her daughter a shower. 

lol, the wording was a little confusing, I was just wondering.  

Like PP said, I'd be crossing knees, fingers and toes.  It's close, but do-able.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • I think it's really late, of course it's do-able but I hope you have enough energy at that point (and don't have the baby already) to wash everything, put stuff together, set up the nursery with all the new stuff and run out to get everything else that you didn't get. I thought my mom was going to do mine at like 36 weeks and that made me nervous so I wouldn't be able to handle doing it at 38 weeks. I would end up going out and buying everything before hand so I was ready.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • I am very nervous about having it so late. I know doing it sooner would give people less time to work it out but I am very nervous about having it so late. I also dont want to be a brat and say "oh thats way to late!" I dont know what to do. 
  • yeah, unfortunately when someone offers to throw you a shower they get to pick when it is.  I guess just be happy you're getting one and accept that it might become a "meet the baby shower" if LO arrives early.  my shower will be only a month before my EDD and I feel like THAT'S too late.. but like I said my aunt is throwing it therefor she gets to pick.  I just smiled and said "sounds good to me"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The host does generally set the day/time but it also depends on your availability and the way it was presented to you.  Did she say "I want to host a shower for you on this date" or "I'd love to throw you a shower.  How do you feel about this date?"  If she asked for your opinion there would be nothing wrong with saying you would need time to prepare the clothes and such before the baby arrives and that 2 weeks would be too close.  If her date is set in stone and you're not comfortable with it, you could just decline completely.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • "I need to know when is a good date for the baby shower?" is what she asked in a message to my mother and I. I am due nov 4th she suggested the 2nd or 3rd weekend in OCT. I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. 
  • imagemommamathews3719:
    "I need to know when is a good date for the baby shower?" is what she asked in a message to my mother and I. I am due nov 4th she suggested the 2nd or 3rd weekend in OCT. I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

If she asked you when's a good date and then made a suggestion, you're definitely okay to make a counter suggestion at a time that's more comfortable for you.  Suggest the last weekend in Sept and see what she says.  She's probably not thinking practically from an expectant mom's POV.

ETA:  "Wow!  That's so nice of you to offer.  I appreciate it so much.  I was thinking sometime in September just in case baby were to decide to arrive early in October. "

The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • Thank you for your advise. I emailed the church coordinator and asked when a good date would be. It will mostly be women from my church attending and I want to be sure there are no other things scheduled on that day, such as another womans shower. 
  • If you have it the first week in October and she got invites out (or in the church bulletin) right away it would give people 3 weeks before the shower and you a month before your due date.  I had 3 showers for my first baby and one was just one week before.  Luckily I delivered just one day early.  If that had been my second baby it would have definitel been a meet the baby party since he was born 3 1/2 weeks early.  You just never know. 

BTW...I had plenty of "energy" to get the things done before delivery.  I had more energy just before delivery than I did any other time throughout my pregnancy - guess I was "nesting".  lol

• I also thought the 1st weekend in Oct would fit just right. There is one other pregenant woman in the church so im just hoping that weekend is opened. I think I am over thinking this but I am at a pre-term labor due to my hypothyroidism so I am just hoping she will wait till her due date.
  • I work as an events manager at a venue and I have seen a couple of showers close to the mother's due dates and the moms-to-be look so incredibly miserable.

I also had mom-to-be go into labor the night before her shower--when she was two weeks out--and her mom just came in and thanked the guests and took the presents home. It wasn't fun. 

• I found it so awkward when my SIL asked when I wanted a shower.  She only asked this at the end of last week, so when I was 30 weeks.  I am very grateful that she is offering to host a shower for me, but it was weird when she asked "do you want it before or after your due date?", then when I said I'd prefer before, the only date she has available is October 24th (I'll be 37+ weeks).  I definitely felt like I was imposing when I said I'd rather have it before, but she asked!

I'm a little nervous about having a shower so late in the game, since as previous posters have mentioned, this may turn into a 'meet the baby' shower.  It's still awesome that SIL is wanting to do this for me, I will take it anyway it comes.

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If it's later, be sure to have your hospital bag in the car and bring a couple pillows to get comfortable in your chair... You know how wild those baby showers can get :) 
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"