TTC after 35

Buying before baby...

How hard is it for you to resist the urge to buy baby stuff before you are pregnant? It's really hard for me right now, but I am trying to tell myself not to jinx anything by buying baby stuff until I actually need it. Although then I tell myself that I will definitely have a baby one day no matter what.

Arghh!

Like today. Amazon.com has the crib, changer and mattress I want packaged together for $245 with free shipping. It's all I can do to resist the urge to buy it now, even though I am not pregnant yet. I officially start TTC this month, but I am so scared to jinx myself.

Did you hold off, and how did you do it?

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey

Re: Buying before baby...

• I couldn't bring myself to even order the furniture until I was 14 weeks along and I was still afraid I would jinx myself. I didn't buy another thing until about 18 weeks. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMelleTX:

Did you hold off, and how did you do it?

Because I am not pregnant and therefore, have no need for it. It may take me a long time to get PG this time (DD took 3 cycles) and no way in he!! do I want to stare at nursery furniture as a constant reminder that I am not KU yet.

There will always be a sale, there will always be something new and pretty that I want.

~Lisa~
    Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • i never bought anything before i was pregnant. and even when i was pregnant i waited until well into my 2nd trimester before registering or buying a tiny bit of baby clothes. honestly they are constantly updating products so if u get something now there may be a newer version you like better by the time you have a kid.
  • I don't find it hard to not buy furniture, but the clothes are too cute.  I did break down and buy a bib when we went to Alcatraz because we live in Michigan and wont' get back out there, so I decided that was a safe purchase.  Otherwise I just tell myself that I don't want to jinx anything by buying anything before I'm pregnant and have passed the "safe" zone and that has stopped me so far.
  • I had a moment of weakness in a consignment shop and bought a little lamb blankie.  It was something I hadn't seen in other stores, was the only one, so I went ahead and got it.  Nothing big though--kinda worried I'd jinx myself into never needing it.  So nothing big until a baby is actually on the way, and even then, probably not until about halfway through the pg.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have given in twice. Once at the dollar store for a pair of socks patterned to look like tiny mary janes. The second time was today. I went to walmart for vitamins and maple syrup. In the middle of my trek across the store from the vitamin section to the syrup section, there was a rack of baby clothes in the middle of the aisle, on clearance for $1. I bought six things. I figure, if i don't end up needing them, i will eventually need them for a baby shower.

I did, however, manage to resist the crib bedding set that was on clearance at target a few weeks ago. I figure seven bucks isn't doing too bad, and i can always stash them in the back of the closet. And i still feel a bit guilty about it.

I would agree with PPs about the nursery furniture. Not only will it be an obvious (and potentially painful) reminder if it takes you a fair while to conceive, but you will have to store it somewhere, answer annoying questions if other people see it, and you could end up with an even nicer one for cheaper, as sales and selection do fluctuate. Tell yourself how pissed you would be if you found a nicer one when you get closer to needing it.

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • I, luckily, have never had the urge to buy baby stuff.
  • This is not a response to your question but to your subject line....  I keep reading "Before BUYING BABY!!!!"  It must be because I have adoption on the brain these days!!!!"  LOL!

I have not bought any thing because we do not have any storage space and I don't have any inclination to buy any thing until I know "for sure"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJoe'sSweetPea:

This is not a response to your question but to your subject line....  I keep reading "Before BUYING BABY!!!!"  It must be because I have adoption on the brain these days!!!!"  LOL!

I have not bought any thing because we do not have any storage space and I don't have any inclination to buy any thing until I know "for sure"

That's funny. And considering how much I have to pay to try to get pregnant, I do kind of feel like I am buying this baby. Although someone recently asked me if I had considered adoption. I said yes, it was a definite possibility, but as with most things in life, "it's cheaper to make one than bye one."

***NOTE: I mean no offense to anyone looking to adopt and do not consider adoption actually "buying" a baby.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Knowing that loss can occur or even potentially delayed preganancy, I don't recommend it.  I have a child and truly can't even plan what he'll need size wise for next summer.  Plus, it just hurts to see it in your house each month there is a bfn. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"