TTC after 35

Now I really have to decide whether or not to start IVF

We had a miscarriage in the beginning of August and were originally going to start IVF in Sept.  Dr said we could still start in Sept-just call once I got my period.  It's back! 

I am going to be 41 in a few weeks.   So torn-do I just start IVF or keep trying to conceive naturally. 

Re: Now I really have to decide whether or not to start IVF

• sorry about your mc. is the IVF covered by your insurance or would you be paying OOP? did you conceive naturally before? i think those would weigh into my decision. i'd probably also ask my dr. for his opinion and thoughts just to hear from a medical standpoint what might be best. good luck.
  • I hear ya! I had a mc in july and went to a fertility spec. right afterwards. She wanted to do baseline bloods when AF showed up.  All that is done. AF is due tomorrow.  I'm hoping she doesn't show up and that we'll get good news.  If not, we have to make the same decision for next month... I think we may try on our own two more cycles, but we haven't reached a final decision.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekinsalebride:
    sorry about your mc. is the IVF covered by your insurance or would you be paying OOP? did you conceive naturally before? i think those would weigh into my decision. i'd probably also ask my dr. for his opinion and thoughts just to hear from a medical standpoint what might be best. good luck.

I second this.  I know I'd be anxious to get started, but insurance coverage and a natural conception would factor in.  What does your dh think?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did conceive natually before but miscarried at 5 weeks.  I do actually have pretty unheard of insurance and IVF is covered.  I think we would have to pay $2000.00 out of pocket but that is it. 

My husband thinks we should just go straight into IVF- I am struggling a bit more with it.

• I'm afraid I don't have any advice but I'm watching this thread because I'm in the same boat.  I'm 40 and I am doing IUI but I'm a bit conflicted about it.  Unfortunately my insurance doesn't pay for IVF and I'm trying IUI first as there's no specified reason for our infertility other than age.  However, I do feel a bit like I might be wasting my time and money and might as well go for the "big guns" of IVF if I can figure out the financing.

As I said, no advice but I'm in the same boat and I wish you luck in your decision!

• If your insurance covers all but $2k for IVF I would go for it.
  • i agree with Chicken and say to go for the IVF since it sounds like the 2K would be doable for you and your DH. This is also coming from a person who was impatient during her fertility struggles and told her RE to move to IVF after 3 IUI cycles. that said, we had DD #1 from that first IVF, so it was the best decision I ever made.
  • imagejohnsonjeril:

We did conceive natually before but miscarried at 5 weeks.  I do actually have pretty unheard of insurance and IVF is covered.  I think we would have to pay $2000.00 out of pocket but that is it. 

My husband thinks we should just go straight into IVF- I am struggling a bit more with it.

That is a lot to consider then.  It sounds like it's affordable to you, and it's great that your husband is so enthused.  But... He won't have to go through as much as you will with the treatments.  If you're both willing to wait one more cycle, maybe you could still try on your own for one before moving on to IVF.  Just a thought.  You know your own situation better than I do.

As long as you're both on the same page... (((hugs)))  Good luck deciding!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would say go ahead with the IVF sooner rather than later, especially if you have coverage. I am 36 and we waited for a year before doing IVF. The treatment went so well and we are expecting a baby boy due in December. Had I known then what I do now, I would have not have waited this long.

Best of luck!

image image image Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"