Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Can't get rid of this diaper rash...

...or whatever it is! It's been over a month and I feel like I've tried everything (desitin, then triple paste, not using wipes, diaper free time, now I just used Nystatin for a week and it hasn't fully gone away). It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but it's right on her labia...some days it looks better than others, most days it's red...the nurse mentioned maybe it has to do with teething....I don't know!!!

Re: Can't get rid of this diaper rash...

• Ah, I"m sorry!  So the nurse saw it and didn't suggest it could be something more than a nappie rash?  Because I was about to say it could be I forgot what it is called but DD had what I thought to be a nappie rash that turns out was something else.  Although if it doesn't seem to be bothering her it's probably not the same thing.
  • DD has had a terrible yeast infection since the beginning of August & it's just now starting to really go away.  Could it be that?

• Loading the player...
  • dab some mylanta or maalox  with a cottonball. 
  • imagekell8807:
    DD has had a terrible yeast infection since the beginning of August & it's just now starting to really go away.  Could it be that?

For my little ones, Nystatin was the magic to getting rid of yeast infection.  My DD had months of diaper rash and I started giving her probiotics and that and god knows what concoction of diaper rash creams knocked it out. 

I don't know if this is possible, but could it be an allergic reaction?  Maybe something she can't process and the residual in the urine is causing it? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If it's a yeast infection, you could use Lotrimin.  DS got a script for it, but they sell it over the counter.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Baking soda in the bathwater. Which diapers are you using? Try a more chemically-free diaper (Nature Babycare is great) or cloth. 
  • We have been dealing with a bad diaper rash for weeks too! After lots of lotramin, baking soda baths, and TONS of diaper rash cream, it is finally about 90% gone. Make sure that you put so much diaper rash cream on that her skin basically doesn't ever touch the diaper. My pedi suggested that, and I can't believe how much it helped. Buy one of the big tubs of cream so that you can just reach down in it and get a big hunk, and then just plop it all on! You can't use too much!

I hope your DD feels better soon! 

• Try a diaper ointment that doesn't have zinc oxide, depending on the severity of the rash zinc can burn. I stopped using Desitin and switched to Aquaphor, it cleared up quickly.
  • My daughter had a terrible, terrible diaper rash...to the point of it being open and red.  I have no clue how it got so bad because I change her right when i realize she is wet or dirty and I always use A&D after every diaper change for preventative measures.  Turns out she had a tooth coming through.  I used the triple paste too which helped better than anything else...but amazingly after her tooth broke through...it went away within a day...I had been battling it for weeks!  calling the dr., etc.  I felt terrible for her.  I hope she gets some relief soon!
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • DD had a diaper rash that was terrible and after trying just about everything with no success we used just Vaseline and it cleared up very quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"