Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Warming refrigerated breast milk?

How long can you keep breast milk after it has been warmed from the refrigerator but not yet offered to LO? Can you put it back in the fridge? I can only find guidelines for milk that has been thawed from the freezer, not warmed straight from the fridge and I'm not sure if the guidelines are different?

Re: Warming refrigerated breast milk?

• You need to use it at the next feeding and if any is left after that discard it.
  • I've been told and read that is fine at room temp for eight hours. Just be sure to use it at the next feeding and don't re-refridgerate or reheat, leave it at room temp
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBuckeyeWife07:
    I've been told and read that is fine at room temp for eight hours. Just be sure to use it at the next feeding and don't re-refridgerate or reheat, leave it at room temp

yep 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yep, this one is correct :)
  • One hour. After then it's spoiled. I work at a daycare and those are the guidline we follow and what I will also follow when I have my twins :)

June Siggy: Fave pic of Aubrey and me :)

• Kellymom.com says you can refrigerate it one more time to re-heat, and I think it said 4 hours at room temp. 
  • imageyesthisiskim:
    One hour. After then it's spoiled. I work at a daycare and those are the guidline we follow and what I will also follow when I have my twins :)

This is for formula, not breastmilk.

• imageliza0828:

imageyesthisiskim:
    One hour. After then it's spoiled. I work at a daycare and those are the guidline we follow and what I will also follow when I have my twins :)

This is for formula, not breastmilk.

Yep!  There's some discrepancy.  I'd say that once breastmilk has been warmed, it's fine for 4-8 hours.  But if your LO drank from the bottle, I wouldn't give it that long - I'd discard within an hour.

• oh boy, these answers are confusing me even more... why is information on storing/heating BM so conflicting?
  • I was told from nurses and they said 48 hours if not frozen yet, and if u freeze it it is good for 6 months in freezer.. I warm mine up all the time from fridge. if this is not helpful sorry but it was what I was told...Smile
  • Totally feel ur pain on the confusion.  I had this ? for a while and I still struggle.  My Medela pump has some breastfeeding q&a.  For the question how long is bm good for, the answer is "There is no resarch to answer this question (thanks Medela Angry ).  It goes on to say there have been no reports of harm if the milk is refrigerated, re-warmed and used within a few hours.  Check with your doc." 

Bottom line- its a grey area.  Do what works best for you, but baby will most likely be okay.  Check with your doctor if you're really concerned.  You can also use the "When in doubt, throw it out" rule.  Good luck!

• We have definitely rewarmed BM that I've warmed previously. Sometimes days later, and he's been just fine to take it so I'm not going to worry about it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Maybe I'm a bad mother but I've warmed it, put it back in the fridge and warmed it a 2nd time. Baby has never been sick and is 4 1/2 months, gaining great weight. Apparently it isn't spoiled since it hasn't seemed to affect her at all!

When we were discharged from the hospital they said use all milk that has been thawed within 24 hours of thawing (I pump exclusively for reasons relating to prematurity), but they never spoke about how long it can stay at room temp. They did say room temp is fine for 4-6 hours after pumping, and if you put it in the fridge after pumping it is good for up to 6 days. Frozen it is good for 3-6 months depending on the freezer (deep freeze is longer).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"