1st Trimester

Pregnancy Parking

When will you start parking in the pregnant only spaces? I think you have to have a bump..WDYT?

Re: Pregnancy Parking

• I think when you can actually see a bump
  • I won't use them unless I need them.  I had sciatica pain with my first pregnancy and it sucked really bad when all of the spaces were filled.  I also used the new mothers parking when I was recovering from my c-section.
    DD: 04/09 TTC#2 since 10/09 Dx: PCOS w/IR M/c #1: 07/10 M/c #2: 09/10 M/c #3: 03/11
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, definitely when there is Bumpage!   Probably at 6 mos and after.
  • Until this week, it has been a running 105 every day.  So...  I have been using it for the last month or so when I can.  Do I feel guilty?  Maybe a little.  But my thought is, I am pg and they are meant for pg women. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I used one when after my open appendectomy at 25 wks.  As long as I feel fine I won't use one bump or no bump.
  • Only if there is absolutely no way I could park in a normal available spot.  If I'm a perfectly healthy but hugely pregnant pregnant woman, I won't be using them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LFWisBack Our Guardian Angels: 11.06 * 6.09 * 12.11
  • DH and I parked in one to take a pic with the sign to announce our BFP to his parents. He then mentioned how he had to get some drinks. We didnt move the car... I am pregnant after all. I was about 4 weeks at that point though, I stuck out my bloat a little bit for show Stick out tongue

Other than that, I probably wont use them until I'm 8 or 9 months, I think they're silly. I always feel like there could be someone further along, or with pregnancy pains that could use the spot more than me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I'm well enough to shop, I'm well enough to walk my fat a$$ across a parking lot!!!  That's how I see it.
    Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Personally, I would only park there if I was huge and no other close parking was available. Or if i was pregnant(showing) and had other kids with me. I can only imagine how shopping with children will be. LOL.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageTheMrs923:
    Only if there is absolutely no way I could park in a normal available spot.  If I'm a perfectly healthy but hugely pregnant pregnant woman, I won't be using them.

THIS. I can almost understand a need for them on the way OUT of the store, if you already have kids with you. I can see how hard it would be to load purchases and children, especially if it's raining or snowing, etc.

But, I've never understood why people try to park closer to a store - You're going to be walking around IN the store for an hour while your shopping anyway, so what does that extra 50 feet you saved really do?

I'm sure I'll need the extra calorie burn. BUT, I think it would be sort of cool to have like a "Parent and Child" parking spot - not to save you the extra walking, but to hopefully make it easier for you to load your children and products simultaneously. Maybe make it right next to a cart return so you don't have to leave your kids in the car unattended while you return your cart.

• imageInLoveWithBrett:
    I think when you can actually see a bump

I agree with this.  It kills me when people take advantage of things when there are people who really need that spot.  Sorry its more about where i live now. I dont like it here. lol

• If you can walk around a store, you can walk from the parking lot.  I used one once, the day I went in for my induction, just because we had never parked there.  I was border line pre-e and had about 15-20 pounds of fluid on board, but if I was feeling good enough to walk around BRU, I was good enough to walk from the lot. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • when you're waddling around ready to pop and just cannot walk another extra foot.  Otherwise, I think save them for the parents that are wrestling with babies and pain in the arse strollers!!  :)  Especially in the middle of winter! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • As long as you're pregnant use them...isn't that what they are meant for? "Expecting Mothers"? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

imageimage

• Only if I need them.  Last time I needed them (roids) and they were always full. 
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Where is this pregnancy parking.  I am in New York and I have never seen that.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenic5606:
    Personally, I would only park there if I was huge and no other close parking was available. Or if i was pregnant(showing) and had other kids with me. I can only imagine how shopping with children will be. LOL.

umm yeah, most of the time it's a pain in the a$s, so please, save the parking spots for people with little kids!  Walking pregnant alone is one thousand times easier than walking pregnant, pushing one kid in a stroller, while making sure the other one is holding your hand!  Ok, sorry, I'll stop yelling now.  :)

• I only did after I gave birth...so the small child qualified me...my thought was I need the exercise when I was pg!
  • I will be using the when ever i can with 2 u 2 it's hard to get my car loaded and keep both little kids in the cart and makes sure my older one isn't running away ect. My SO and i work opposite Shift to save on daycare costs. So all food/clothing shopping is done by me with my 3 LO and often with my 2 SK also. Some days i am so thankful for those spots.
  • I've never used that spot, I just feel too bad.  Unless I have a medical condition I probably won't.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker 

October 2012: Missed Miscarriage, Baby with no heartbeat, stopped growing after 7 wks 
    November 2012: D&C
  • As PP mentioned, I always thought those spots should say "For our customers with small children" not "For expectant mothers".  I figure expectant mothers fit into the first category anyway.

When my step kids were little I lived in constant fear of crowded parking spaces with two kids who love to run, hate to listen, and arms full of packages.

• I have used expecting mother pkg maybe twice when the pkg lot has been jammed full. I feel a little bad bc there are very pg women or women with babies and car seats and such that need it more than me, but it's not like it's against the law. I just try to stick my bloat out so I look pg so I don't get side eyed.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• imageRayRay007:
    I have used expecting mother pkg maybe twice when the pkg lot has been jammed full. I feel a little bad bc there are very pg women or women with babies and car seats and such that need it more than me, but it's not like it's against the law. I just try to stick my bloat out so I look pg so I don't get side eyed.

and I'd be the one giving you the side-eye!  actually, with my raging hormones right now, I'd probably do more than give you the side eye.  But hey, I'm pretty much out lookin' for a fight nowadays. Sad  sigh.

• I used the expectant mother spots a few times at the very end when I was hugely pregnant with my DD, and that's it.  It makes me laugh that there are people that are in their first trimester parking in these spots.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

my angel babies: 6/10 (chem. pg), 9/10 @ 10 weeks
  • There aren't a bunch of places around here that have them, but honestly, I don't need them at this point so I don't use them.  I really wish more stores had spots for 'families with small children'.  Its WAY harder to get an infant/toddler and all your crap out/in of a car than it is to get your pregnant bump in/out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• imageleneae10:
    If I'm well enough to shop, I'm well enough to walk my fat a$$ across a parking lot!!!  That's how I see it.

THIS! We must share a brain! Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageleneae10:
    If I'm well enough to shop, I'm well enough to walk my fat a$$ across a parking lot!!!  That's how I see it.

I agree wit this. I always said that when pregnant with DD, I am about to walk around the mall or store aren't I? Although, now that I have a child, and live in FL where it will most likely be steaming outside by the time I am in 3rd tri, I may use them. Its bad enough getting DD and the stroller all loaded up in the car in this heat without being gigantic on top of it..so I may not want to walk those extra feet outside of the AC. 

• I used it when I was spotting, on modified bed rest, and was told by my doctor to walk less than an hour a day.  I don't judge things like that, because you never really know why someone may need to use it.
    BFP #1 - Twin B lost at 5w
    Bryce Addison  I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    Our baby boy was born sleeping on 9.17.10. He was 19w1d.
    BFP #2 - Twin B lost at 4w
    Twin A
    BFP #3 - Lost at 5w
    BFP #4 - Lost at 4w
    BFP #5

• Unless I am unable to walk, never.  A little exercise is good for you.
  • I very happily use these spaces.  They are a courtesy, and I appreciate it.  Though I am only 11 weeks along, I do have extreme back pain (my ovary is tucked behind my uterus and is pressing on my spine, so it's constantly pressing on my spine bruising it...OUCH!) I try to make all of my trips very short because I can't walk around for very long without having to lay down becuase of the extreme pain.  I think it is nice that some places offer these spaces.  The past 11 weeks have been pretty rough, and the one time I went to a place with this available I used it.  I used it proudly and appreciated that it was there.  I look forward to going to other places that have these spaces...unfortunately no where in my town has these.

You also have to keep in mind that a lot of pregnancies come with complications, or there's that constant need to go to the bathroom...maybe you're going to the store and really need a space soon or you will have to buy a new seat for your car!  I think a lot of women would appreciate being close for that reason alone!

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use it now (18 weeks) and did when I wasn't showing.  It is HOT here and I always felt faint anyway so it was nice.  I personally could live without it but believe they should reserve ALL the spots next to cart returns for customers with small children.  You end up having to load your groceries, walk the cart back, then walk back with your child squirming or not wanting to hold your hand.  If they were next to the cart return you could put your child in the car and put the car away without issue.
  • imageel25:
    Where is this pregnancy parking.  I am in New York and I have never seen that.

yeah I am from Oregon and we dont have any out here.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucketimage imageimage
  • I have already used them this pregnancy - and before I was showing.  I parked there because my m/s is absolutely horrible, and in my area the heat index has been at 115 degrees for the past 5 weeks or so.  So while walking around a 70 degree grocery store is do-able (although also unpleasant) walking across a 115 degree parking lot is another story.  I do not feel guilty in the least, however, I don't plan to use them again until late pregnancy or right after DC #2 is born.
  • My husband and I had this debate last week.  I parked in expectant mother parking at the grocery store (I was expecting at the time) and he had a fit.  I'm pregnant and it's for "expectant and new mothers" per the sign so what difference does it make if I am showing or not?  It's a courtesy so I doubt the employees of the store are going to ask to check my uterus for a baby.   I am pregnant, I used it, I make no excuses for it and I don't feel guilty.
    PRINCESS31stbirthday
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageleneae10:

While I tend to agree with you, it's not always the case.  Sometimes you just need to get something and you feel great going in, but awful coming out.  I had terrible swelling in my 1st PG, the walk out of the mall was the worst and unfortunately you can't always sit at home.

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I parked in one at BRU yesterday.  The parking lot was really empty, so almost all of them were open.  I didn't feel guilty since they weren't hard to get. If it was crowded, I wouldn't have parked there.

I will admit that is was really hot and I also had DD with me.  Plus, I do have a small bump. :)

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

• I used them in the winter and I was 9 months pregnant so I didn't fall on the ice.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I won't use them unless there is some physical reason why I can't walk a bit further, even if I have all the kids in tow.

Most of the spots I see are occupied by the elderly and teenage boys anyway.  

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • iam in northern marin and I dont think I have ever seen these spots , I bet they would be used by teens and the elderly though if they were around,   I did see them when I was visiting my friend in Boston when she was pregnant we parked in one and a older women totally gave her the stink eye even though she was 8 months and it was like 102 out!
  • Lazy, lazy, lazy!

I live in New York City and I will be riding the subway, climbing up and down stairs, and walking half a mile from the station to my office until I go into labor! Take THAT! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"