Babies: 0 - 3 Months

question from a 1st timer about cereal in formula

Hey ladies. I usually lurk on here, but I haven't been on since my son was born. Anywho, a lot of my family and friends are telling me to start putting cereal in my sons nighttime bottle. He is 8 weeks old. Just wondering when you ladies started?

Re: question from a 1st timer about cereal in formula

• You should ask your pediatrician.  Mine said not to start cereal until 4 or 5 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ask your pedi - mine said absolutely no rice cereal until much later.  I think the recommendation is to start them at 6 months.  DD1 wasn't interested in any solids at all until closer to 7 months.

There are some pedi's now that will recommend putting rice cereal in bottle for severe acid reflux, but that's the only legit reason I've heard.

I had a lot of people tell me to start rice cereal that early with DD1, but all those people had no idea what they were talking about and had had babies a LONG time ago.  

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Cereal should not be put in a bottle (unles Dr. says to for reflux) and should be spoon-fed only at about usually between 4-6 months.  GL!
  • Thanks ladies. That's pretty much what i thought-around 4 months. DS has his 2 month checkup Thursday, so I'll ask then.
  • I thought 4 months was the rule, but last week at our 2 month appointment, the pedi said that we could start at 3 months. My little man is quite the eater and is putting weight on well. Soooo, we are going to start at three months.
  • imagestevieandtracie:
    Cereal should not be put in a bottle (unles Dr. says to for reflux) and should be spoon-fed only at about usually between 4-6 months.  GL!

This. But, I introduced it to DD1 at 3 months and she did very well.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mine said no cereal until 4 months.
  • What I've heard is when they can eat off of a spoon, then they are ready for cereal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"