3rd Trimester

XP: Anyone else dealing with tailbone pain??

This is my second pregnancy, but the first time I've ever dealt with THIS! For the last 5+ weeks I've had HORRIBLE tailbone pain. The weird thing is, it's not when sitting or anything, but when I am laying on either side to sleep. The pain in my tailbone keeps me tossing and turning all night long. My OB said it's normal and there's not much I can do besides take Tylenol before bed, but I don't want to do that every single night!Anyone else dealing with this? Not fun! 
Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015

Re: XP: Anyone else dealing with tailbone pain??

• I have this a lot and all that helps is getting adjusted at my chiropractor's office regularly. My pelvis has been out of place several times now and until it gets put back in the place the pain is worse.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • yep, i hear ya, my tailbone kills constantly, but mostly when I am just sitting like after a long day of sitting at work! I try stretches and sleep with a pillow between my legs. That seems to help at night at least!
  • Loading the player...
  • Here is something that won't make you happy....

I still have that pain.

It is considerably better, but still nagging.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh yuck! That is the only bone in my body the doesn't hurt come to think of it! ::::knocks on wood::::: but I'm sure its miserable. Have you tried sitting on a boppy pillow or even sleeping propped up while sitting on it? That might help. A girl I work with swears up and down that her son cracked her tailbone while she was pregnant and she had a medical pillow thingy to sit on. You think that can really happen?
  • I have tailbone pain but it's because at around 4 months i fainted and landed right on my tailbone on a concrete floor.  So mine's actually better now than it had been.
  • mine hurts too, it didn't start till this week. I didn't mention it because I never thought much of it. Upon reading this post though I googled it and it says that the baby, fluid, etc is putting pressure on the bone itself causing the pain. All the websites I read said to tell your Dr because the coccyx can cause issues with vaginal delivery if it's narrowing the birth canal, and also that the birth can in fact injure your tailbone by bruising, chipping or fracturing it during labor. I'm definitely telling my Dr on Thursday!
  • I can't remember what month it was that I was having tailbone pain, but I could not sit comfortably, I had to keep a pillow propped between my legs while sleeping, and when I had my husband look at it he said it looked swollen with a big purple dot (which was a bruise).  I Googled my symptoms and it lead me to a heightened shift in my weight gain that my body was not ready for, a day or two later it went away.

I asked my doctor about it and he agreed that it was the sudden increase in weight gain, and that my pelvis was starting the process of moving around to get situated for the baby.  Makes sense.  He recommended that I buy a boppy pillow and sit on it (like what a PP said) or to buy a toilet seat or something to sit on.  Hahaha.

My FIL said to me a couple of weeks ago, "Hope your ready to have a broken tailbone!"

I had been wondering if it actually breaks during the birthing process, but I wouldn't think that EVERYONE'S breaks, you know?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My tailbone is constantly in pain! I sit pretty much all day at my job and I have to switch between to chairs constantly to help with the pain. And then I have an hour drive home and the tailbone pain just gets worse. It makes it very uncomfortable to sit at work!
  • yes yes yes!  i didn't have it w/ my first either.  i started seeing a chiro and it helps immensly.
  • imageericaXbella:
    mine hurts too, it didn't start till this week. I didn't mention it because I never thought much of it. Upon reading this post though I googled it and it says that the baby, fluid, etc is putting pressure on the bone itself causing the pain. All the websites I read said to tell your Dr because the coccyx can cause issues with vaginal delivery if it's narrowing the birth canal, and also that the birth can in fact injure your tailbone by bruising, chipping or fracturing it during labor. I'm definitely telling my Dr on Thursday!

Thanks for posting this. I need to tell my OB that I have a fractured coccyx from an old soccer fall back in college.  It has been killing me the last few weeks, mainly due to sitting at work.   Fun times.

• YES! My tailbone has been hurtnig for a couple of weeks and is very bad when I sit and then have to get up again. I have an extra seat cushion on my chair at work but it only helps minimally....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"