2nd Trimester

when did YOU need maternity jeans/pants ?

ok, so I don't know about you but I'm curious because I'm at 17 weeks todayand I'm still not really showing plus I still sort of fit into my regular jeans, but I leave the top 2 buttons undone. the reason I ask also is because I tried on some jeans at Motherhood and the S was a little baggy, and the XS size was good and a bit tight but the girl there says that they tend to loosen with wear, so they were perfect. but ok, I have no idea but won't my legs also get bigger once my belly gets big or is it just my belly? how is it for you guys? did you have to go up a size in maternity too? I'm a size 4 so I have no idea what I should buy. I don't want to have to get a ton of different sizes and spend money unnecessarily. meaning, I don't want to buy the XS and then find out my ass for huge and they don't fit anymore. so, as you can see I'm a bit lost, any suggestions? thanks frani

Re: when did YOU need maternity jeans/pants ?

• I used a belly band which helped me, and is still helping me, and I'm 19 weeks. I started using that at about 3 months because I felt uncomfortable with my pants being unbuttoned. I feel like my legs are getting thicker because I can't get some of my jeans to my butt anymore but that could be all the peanut butter I eat. It's different for everyone. I was a size 6-8 and I went to a size 12 and only gained 6 lbs the first 4 months...I'm a little pissed about that but oh well. I stayed at the same size in maternity, they say to buy your pre-pregnancy size and you'll grow into them but you'll have to try it out. Also, different places have different fitting clothing. Try Old Navy, Motherhood, Ross, TJMaxx, and Goodwill
    Jackson W. Holler born 12/9/10 at 7:52 a.m. He is my little miracle baby!! pPROM'ed at 23w1d and delivered at 34w Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My Bella band is still keeping me in my regular jeans, I just hit 22 weeks. Though I do have a few maternity things that I wear every now and then when I feel like being really comfy.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Loading the player...
  • I couldn't button any of my regular pants after like 10 weeks.  :(  But that was still bloat and not a baby bump yet. 

I'm 25 weeks and can still wear my elastic waist pants and skirts though.

Married 11-8-08
    DS born 12-10-10
    DD born 11-5-12
    Boy/girl twins arrived 10-10-14!
  • lol - I bought a pair of maternity jeans back when I was like, 15 weeks. I couldn't wait to get big enough to get in them. I'm now 22 weeks, and my normal jeans still fit just fine. I'm a size 1, and I wear fairly low riding jeans, and I notice that the bump I have sits above the waistband of them. It's.. really disappointing actually. Everyone thought that because I'm only 5'1", my tummy would get huge really quickly. Instead, I still don't look pregnant, I just look like I have a small beer belly.
  • I just bought my first pair maternity jeans from Motherhood. I'm 15 weeks and I needed to stop wearing my same 4 stretchy dresses. They're still a little loose in the belly and thigh area but I figure I'll grow into them in the next month or so. I absolutely love them...i seriously don't think I'll give em up when I'm done being pregnant. So comfy and you can eat and eat and nothing feels like it's going to pop! =)

• 10 weeks with #1, 7 weeks with #2!!!!

I'm usually a size 6 non-preg. and can wear a size small, but a med is more comfortable. At the end with #1 NOTHING fit- he was a huge baby and my belly was giant!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I know exactly how you feel! I'm 21 weeks now, and am just now having trouble buttoning my jeans (size 4 also). The legs and butt are a little tighter but I walk the dog everyday up and down our hill, and try to do thigh exercises to keep a little tone... Still don't need maternity pants, my belly is only bulging like I'm just a little chubby (so frustrating!). I bought a couple belly bands - they're AWESOME. They fold over your pants so you don't have to zip and button. Even when you can still manage to button them, it's so much more comfortable. They look like you're wearing another shirt under your clothes. I highly recommend. I bought them at 15 weeks and hope to wear them as long as possible.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This time around, I was probably wearing maternity jeans by 15 weeks.  Since I had them from DD, I didn't see the point in messing around with the belly band.  Personally, I really like Gap mat. jeans.  I have a pair from motherhood and they are nothing special.  The pair of pants that I do like from motherhood are the ones that can be rolled up to be capris.  They don't sag the same way their jeans do.

If you are on track to gain 25-30lbs total, I'd go with the XS.  If you think you are going to stress out about possibly growing out of your pants, get the small.  The motherhood that I shopped at didn't carry XS.  I had size small jeans, gained 35lbs and didn't even come close to growing out of them.  I'm about a size 2 pre-pg.  HTH.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • I haven't started wearing maternity jeans yet, but once the weather gets cooler in a month or so I'll probably go right into them and not even mess with my regular jeans.

I had the same question as you last time about how big your legs and ass are going to get!  For me, they got a little thicker.  But a lot of the pants that were huge in the thighs and seat early on were still pretty big by the end. The XS will probably fit you for the majority of your pregnancy (the last 4 weeks I don't think anything fits anyone...lol). A lot depends on how much weight you gain too.  Like if you only gain 20-30lbs and it's almost all baby, then your legs won't get too much bigger, but I'm guessing if you gain 60lbs you'll put on more weight everywhere. 

What pants were you trying on in an XS?  My Motherhood doesn't carry any XS :(  I can't wear their pants until I'm well into my 3rd tri!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I bought a pair of jeans that's one size larger than normal that i'm still wearing, and a couple of my shorts still fit me, but I switched to maternity pants for work about 3 weeks ago for comfort only.  I recommend it- may as well be comfortable while you're miserable at work!  :) 

I bought my normal size, and I have a feeling i'll have to buy another pair of work pants in a bigger size later in the third trimester though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • week 11-week16 depending on the pants. I borrowed some from a friend to finish out the summer, then I'll go buy for longer warmer winter pants.
  • Well, I've gained weight too quickly, but I've finally given up on wearing any zipper/button pants.  I outgrew some of them a few weeks ago, because I gained in my butt.  But now I can genuinely say it's my bump and not anything else that's preventing the rest of them from fitting.  A Bella Band would probably work fine, but there's no point, since I've already gone shopping for maternity clothes.
  • This is my 4th pregnancy...I started wearing them today : (  I can still button my pants, they just give me bad cramps. 
  • I wore a pair of maternity jeans for the first time on Friday.  They are Gap hand-me-downs from a friend.  I really like how they fit.  They are still a little too big in the bump area, but honestly so much more comfortable than my regular pants.  If it ain't elastic it ain't going around this belly.
  • I used a belly band up until two days ago. Then I finally bought a new pair of maternity jeans. Which I'm still not happy with. I hate maternity clothes.
  • I started to wear Mat pants at around 11 weeks. I had not gained any weight, in fact I had lost 10 lbs at that point due to the nausea and inability to eat, but it was just uncomfortable to button anything on my belly. 

I figure there is enough uncomfortable things about pregnancy that I can't avoid, my clothing may as well be comfy for as long as possible!

I got mine at Thyme Maternity....it is a store in Canada...not sure if the have it in the US. I love the way their pants fit and they always have things on the clearance rack.  I have 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair work pants and 1 jean skirt.  This will do me for a while since I can still wear dresses and elastic waist skirts.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I went shopping on Saturday night for clothes actually.  I hit up Motherhood Maternity, Old Navy Maternity and Burlington Coat Factory maternity outlets.  My regular pants were ok in the am but not very comfortable by the end of the day. The advancement in maternity wear has come far and they have a lot of selection and some really cute pieces. Some pieces you can't even tell are maternity so you can wear them when you have a little bloat through when you have a belly.  They way some things fit they are versitile.  I bought true to my size prior to being pregnant and they do stretch to loosen slightly during the day.  Right now my bump is quite small so I find myself pulling them up, but its not too terrible.  I had the band but I would fold it over and it kept curling which was irritating.  I must say the maternity short/pants I have are VERY comfortable (some from target with small thick band I prefer over full belly for now).  My problem is just being able to find them in long, in stock at the store to try on.  I have found maternity sections at Target, Kohls, Old Navy, Burlington, Gap (online), Ann Taylor (online).  Good luck and imbrace the stretch you will love it.  Smile
  • I was able to wear my regular pants until about 18-19 weeks, but with the button undone and wearing an extender and/or a belly band.  I was able to wear my regular pants without modifications until I was about 14-15 weeks.

I went out and bought some maternity pants a few weeks ago because I noticed a lot of my work pants felt a big too snug in the hips, and even with the extender or belly band, they just felt uncomfortable.  I've managed to find several pairs of good maternity pants that are also fashionable.  Here in Canada, there aren't a lot of reasonably-priced maternity clothing stores to choose from.  Gap and Old Navy in Canada don't carry maternity clothes :(

• With DD I had to get pants at 25 weeks. With this one I got some at 20 weeks. Belly bands are obnoxious to me.
    imageimage
    Breleigh & Mason
  • Wow! Thanks everyone for the replies!

I know that everyone is different, so that's why I sort of wanted to see how your experiences had been, just to sort of compare. 

I guess I'm not that much of an anomaly to not be showing at 17 weeks, but I just really want to!! I hate looking like I'm bloated or fat, but still no obvious baby bump.

Actually when I mentioned that to my mom today, she said I was lucky and that I would probably be like her, since she didn't show until month 8 or something crazy (she may be exaggerating, but she told me she was dead serious...lol) She said her boobs get huge, and nobody knew she was pregnant because she had no bump for so long, that people would just comment on how much weight it seemed she had gained because of her boobs, lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"