Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Did you drink while you were pregnant?

We're having a discussion on first tri about drinking while you are pregnant.  While I was pregnant my OB said that it was okay to drink a glass of wine every now and again.  While I was pregnant I noticed that a lot of pregnant women drink.  So, here is my question. . .

Did you drink while you were pregnant?  What did you drink?

And, did your Dr. say that it was okay to do so? 

Re: Did you drink while you were pregnant?

• Nope.  Maybe it's okay to drink a glass of wine every now and then, but I wasn't willing to risk it. 
  • In the last two months I drank 1-2 Mikes Hard Lemonades. Honestly, I didnt tell my Doc.

Effing crazy people.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had one sip of champagne at our wedding when I was about 6 weeks along.  Other than that I abstained.
  • i don't drink so i never drank while i was pregnant.  but my dr. had also told me that a glass of wine was ok now and then--not every day.

my SIL drank quite a bit while she was pregnant with my nephew--wine almost every day and i witnessed more than a few cosmos.  i was shocked then and i can't help but think it might have something to do with his being behind and very small for his age now that he is almost 21 months. 

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • I had a sip of champange on New year's and 2 glasses of wine in my last trimester. My Pedi said all it okay in moderation.
  • I had probably 3 glasses of red wine total during my entire pregnancy....and a drink of DH's beer because it sounded good. It wasn't.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i knew it was acceptable to have very small amounts every so often, but i never did drink during pregnancy at all. i was more stringent with my alcohol and caffeine intake than i expected i would be.

ETA: i also had literally no desire or craving for it. and when i was no longer pregnant it took a while for me to want so much as a beer again. and half a bottle of beer would hit me hard.

• I didn't drink at all while pregnant...I didn't want to risk anything.  Honestly, I feel like if you can't abstain from alcohol for a mere 9 months, then that's sad..sorry, just my opinion.
  • Nope.  My doc was against any drinking while pregnant, and honestly I didn't miss drinking so much that I was willing to risk it.
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • imagesila129:
    I didn't drink at all while pregnant...I didn't want to risk anything.  Honestly, I feel like if you can't abstain from alcohol for a mere 9 months, then that's sad..sorry, just my opinion.

Agreed 100%

and my Dr is very anti drinking while pregnant. 

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• imagelisswastaken:

imagesila129:
    I didn't drink at all while pregnant...I didn't want to risk anything.  Honestly, I feel like if you can't abstain from alcohol for a mere 9 months, then that's sad..sorry, just my opinion.

Agreed 100%

and my Dr is very anti drinking while pregnant. 

I had a glass of champagne at a wedding but ended up not drinking it.  I wasn't a big drinker before getting pregnant so it wasn't really a big deal to me.  I wonder why some Dr.'s say it's okay to drink a glass every now and then and why some so none at all.  I guess everyone has a different take on drinking while pregnant? 

• No, I didn't. Not even a sip.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • i had a total of three small glasses of red wine on different occasions after first tri and a sip of champagne on new years and at a wedding. 
  • imageohbabyboy:
    Nope.  Maybe it's okay to drink a glass of wine every now and then, but I wasn't willing to risk it. 

This. On Thanksgiving last year I had about 3-4 sips of red wine and felt so guilty! The night before I went into labor I had a small glass or red wine and it helped me go into labor! :)

• Not even one sip for me. My doctor said no I didnt question it. I gave up all alcohol right when I got off the pill in Dec 09 - still not drinking at all since I breast feed. Nothing is worth the risk IMP.
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • DH told my OB how bad I was craving beer towards the end and my OB suggested non alcoholic beer so I did have that and there is a tiny bit of alcohol in it. If DH wouldn't have brought it up I wouldn't have had it.
  • Yes.. one or two glasses of wine or beer a week (not the same day) after the first tri and with my doctors blessing.  With all 3 kids!
  • Not a drop.  I never asked my Doc if it was okay.
  • I had half a glass of strawberry wine on Thanksgiving.  Kai was born Dec 17th.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •  From the very beginning of my pregnancy my doctor said I could have a glass of wine of a beer every now and then to help me relax. I didn't care what the doctor said, I didn't do it anyway. I felt bad just the thought of it. But in the end of my pregnancy, I went to the hospital because of a virus I had. That was 2 weeks before LO arrived. After that, my blood pressure went up, baby's heart beat went down, then her heart beat went back up, but my blood pressure stayed high. I saw my doctor every 2 days and went to the hospital 2 more times due to high blood pressure. they did tests and everything came back negative so my doc told me I was stressing too much and I needed to relax. The last time I went to the hospital, the day before DD was born, my doctor actually told me I needed to go home and drink a glass of wine to relax because I was too stressed. I drank half a glass that night and that was it. I wasn't feeling it. But it was interesting because I guess all I needed was to relax, and then DD was ready to come out! I had no desire to drink my entire pregnancy. I thought it would have been harder than it actually was, since I was a big party animal before DD. I don't drink anymore really. Every now and then ill have a drink, but I still don't feel a desire for it.
  • I did have a small glass of wine on occasion.  There is research that says small amounts of alcohol have shown beneficial to babies brain development.  Dr. said that everything in moderation was fine, including wine, but warned that there is no information that says how much is too much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No way. The doctors never brought it up either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

• imagepoison489:
    I did have a small glass of wine on occasion.  There is research that says small amounts of alcohol have shown beneficial to babies brain development.  Dr. said that everything in moderation was fine, including wine, but warned that there is no information that says how much is too much.

Yes, I agree.  But, apparently I am stupid for posting my opinions on this matter in 1st tri.  Confused

• I did. Not often -- I had maybe 5 glasses of wine total during 3rd tri. And a tiny glass of champagne at my brother's wedding (which attracted MANY evil stares).

I did drink non-alcoholic beer somewhat frequently, though. 2 or 3 a week, I'd say. I remember constant debates on the tri boards over the 0.05% alcohol content....

Honestly, I never asked my midwife. She was very much for everything in moderation, so I'm sure she was in the camp that a glass of wine once in awhile is fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope.  Didn't. 

The rational side of me understands that a little once in a while wouldn't have done anything.

That said, I did eat sushi and all the other "bad" foods.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• I didn't at all. My doctor told me it would be ok to have a glass of wine once in awhile [and I was in a high risk pregnancy] but I know if anything happened to DD I would always wonder if it was because of that one sip I took.

I did how ever eat deli meat, and lots and lots of it from Subway. That was the only thing I could keep down the first 20 weeks so I ate it every single day. I didn't even know you weren't supposed to eat it until I discovered thebump when I was 40 weeks pregnant lol.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • None. No need, no desire, no reason to.
    weddingpicjamessmallgracied
    Susan & Mark ... Married June 14, 2008 ... Chicago Area
    James Tomasz born 1-5-10
    Grace Dorothy born 7-13-11

PROJECT BALANCING ACT: BIO and BLOG- yeah... needs to be updated.
  • I didn't drink and I wouldn't feel comfortable taking that risk.
  • Yep, in the second half I had about 1/2 a glass of wine once a week, sometimes twice a week.  There is not a single peer reviewed study that demonstrates harm coming from rare, small volumes of alcohol.  The only studies that exist on drinking show harm from larger volumes or very regular consumption.There is even a study that showed that occasional small volumes of alcohol during pregnancy correlated with lower rates of learning disabilities.  It was only one study - I wouldn't exactly advocate drinking because of that, but IMO (as a scientist) there is no evidence than occasional small volumes of alcohol do any harm.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Not a chance. I never brought it up and even if the Dr. had said it was ok I wouldn't have. To me, it just wasn't worth risking anything. I am breastfeeding and still have not had any alcohol. Honestly, I don't miss it...when I first found out I wanted a margarita SO BAD. I downed more than a few limeades which did the trick. LOL
  • I'm not a big drinker to begin with, but I stopped drinking entirely once we started TTC.  So, I had not a drop the whole time.  Why risk it?  I'm still breastfeeding, so I'm careful now too... maybe 1/2 a beer once in a great while.
  • imagemooshagirl:
    I actually drank quite a bit in the beginning unintentionally. I didn't know I was pregnant yet and we went on vacation to a friends wedding where we were drinking every night and doing shots at the wedding followed by two days of wine tasting. I was so worried when I found out I was pregnant and only had a couple of sips of wine throughout the ready of my pregnancy but DD is just fine :)

I had the same thing happen. I was on a girls trip to Vegas and drank all day and all night for 3 days (early 30th bday celebration).  Then when I came home, I was still nauseous 3 days after the trip...I knew something was off.  I was so scared, I had messed her up!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • my dr said it was ok in moderation......like the glass of wine example. i didn't drink though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I had several non-alcoholic beers during 3rd tri.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I peeked over at the first tri post about drinking.  Those girls are entertaining!  My midwife recommended a glass of wine and a warm bath a couple of times to relax. 

• Nope...not a drop. I think since DS has been born I've had 3 ciders, that's it. I've never been a big drinker, though, so it wasn't a big deal.
  •  I would have a sip of DH's beer when he would have one, I missed beer so much.
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• imageALG29:
    DH told my OB how bad I was craving beer towards the end and my OB suggested non alcoholic beer so I did have that and there is a tiny bit of alcohol in it. If DH wouldn't have brought it up I wouldn't have had it.
    you were seriously "craving" beer or are you exaggerating?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I had a half glass of wine on two occasions.

I got a little drunk the first week I was pregnant before I knew I was pregnant.

My doctor didn't say anything regarding alcohol. I did my own research.  

• I had maybe half a glass of arbor mist a few weeks before i was due at my works' christmas party.  I felt so guilty i couldn't drink more than half of what was given to me (not a full glass) and I didn't even tell DH!  It just wasn't worth it to me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"