High-Risk Pregnancy

Good snacks for moms with GD

I'm having a hard time finding yummy, filling snacks.  Can someone tell me what snacks you're eating that fill you up enough to take  you to the next meal?  I'm only alloted 23g carbs for snacks.  Boohooo....

Re: Good snacks for moms with GD

• Well, I was only diagnosed this week and although I've seen an endocrinologist, I haven't been to the diabetes clinic at the hospital yet (next week).

For one of my snacks today, I had 20 mini Breton crackers (13g carbs) and 4 Tbsp of roasted red pepper hummus (10g carbs).  My other snack was a 1/2 banana (14g carbs) and 2.5 Tbsp of peanut butter (8g carbs)...  Since I haven't received my formal education yet, I can't say that these are okay but they seem to work by carb count. 

Can I ask what the max carbs you're allowed in a day?  I've been entering everything I eat into Sparkpeople to get all of my counts.  Just wanted to see if I was in a daily range.  For today I'm at 168g carbs and feel like I'm quite full and not lacking anything.  I may have a small snack but I'm not overly hungry.

mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • Ooh...the banana & peanut butter combo sounds good.  I'm sure the roasted red pepper hummus is good, too, but right now I can't stand vegetables.

I'm allowed 210g carbs/day.  Did they put you on any meds?

• Loading the player...
  • I like roasted veggie Ritz crackers and munster cheese, I can adjust the # of carbs up or down but I get 15g of carb for my morning snack and thats what I get for my morning snack.  Or I get chive cottage cheese.

For the afternoon snack I get 30g carb and I like sweet and salty granolar bars, fruit with cheese or an ice cream cone (Hood makes a good one)

6/09 right tube loss (fallopian torsion) 12/09 BFP #1 (DD born 9/10)
    8/12 dx Lupus (ANA+/APA-), 12/12 BFP #2  natural m/c 6w 2d 
    TTC#2  since 9/12  50mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #1 Beta 10/4=BFN
                                 50mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #2 Beta 11/1= BFN
                                      100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #3 Beta 12/26=BFFN
    100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #4 Beta 2/14= BFFN
    Took a LONG Break
    Lots of Luck and Love BFPB for life KOFMKG
  • I always eat fruit.  Lately its been 34 grapes -30 gr- or 4 canned peach halves.  And ive had really good results from that. 
  • imagejazzygirl709:

Ooh...the banana & peanut butter combo sounds good.  I'm sure the roasted red pepper hummus is good, too, but right now I can't stand vegetables.

I'm allowed 210g carbs/day.  Did they put you on any meds?

I haven't even started testing my BS yet.  I go to an education session at the hospital this week.  We'll have to wait and see if it can be controlled through diet.  I'm hoping.  In the meantime, my endocrinologist told me foods to avoid but didn't tell me any specific carb counts, just "avoid white bread, pop, juices, berries, most breakfast cereals, white potatoes, corn etc."  I'm just trying to eat as close as I can to the diet I'll expect to have after I start testing.  Sparkpeople is great for adding the totals and keeping track of nutrients.

mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • I like cheese sticks, popcorn (3 cups= 1 carb/ 15g) apple slices (30g/ 2 carbs) with PB, sugar free jello (be careful, some SF things have sugar alcohols that still count against you) 

I just got my meter yesterday.  I haven't met with the GD nurse yet, just the GD dietician.  Yesterday readings were great!  Nowhere near over my 120 BS limit.  Today's breakfast put me over.  I feel terrible.  I have eggs, a small buttermilk biscuit, 1/2 banana and a Morningstar sausage with a dab of maple syrup.  DH thinks its the sausage and the syrup that did me in.  The positive is that my GD team has given me the week free, meaning monitor BS and adjust diet, no worrying about counts until next week, so that's nice.

This is slightly overwhelming! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Did anyone explain the fiber:carb thing to you? I LOVE it b/c now I can find more things to eat. Umm I usually eat string cheese and fiber one bars
    Jackson W. Holler born 12/9/10 at 7:52 a.m. He is my little miracle baby!! pPROM'ed at 23w1d and delivered at 34w Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • What is hummus I was just diagnoised on Friday and meet the doctor on tuesday in the mean time I have no idea what to eat. But everyone keeps talking about hummus so im curious as to what it is. TIA
  • If you have a craving for sweets....Crystal Light popsicles are GREAT!! They don't have that many carbs...I think like 6 or 7g

Popcorn is another good one, about 3 cups equals 15g but it also varies on the brand too. The 100 calorie packs are about 15g per bag and perfect for snacking.

If you're still hungry and already exceeded your carb intake for your snack, try "free" munchies, like carrot sticks and ranch dressing, or celery and a little bit of peanut butter.

If you need protein...eggs, cheese (I like the cheese cubes), a glass of chocolate milk, peanut butter. Anything over 5g of protein I believe is beneficial.

Being Type 1, I've dealt with this since 2000. It sucks and it's a bit of a struggle with the pregnancy. Hope this info helps ladies!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"