Baby Names

Can I name my child the same name as a cousin...

that lives in another state and that I see once a year to once every other year?

Re: Can I name my child the same name as a cousin...

• I think it is weird, but if you are not close with family or it is a classic name you can probably get away with it.
  • I wouldn't, but I honestly don't like the same names in the same generation.  I hate the idea of someone having 2 grandkids with the same name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I wouldn't do it.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagestcroixbride:
    I wouldn't, but I honestly don't like the same names in the same generation.  I hate the idea of someone having 2 grandkids with the same name.

But it wouldn't be the same grandparent, it would be the same great grandparent, right?  I guess in the cases I'm considering within my own family or DH's none of those great grandparents are still alive.  And even if they are alive, the last names could be different or the nns.  For once a year visits I would NOT worry about it.

Married 9-4-04

• I would and I wouldn't even think of it. It's MY family, not my random cousin's I never see. Forty years ago, no one would even ask this question.
  • sorry, duplicate post
    Married 9-4-04

• i wouldnt use it.
  • I think it's fine.
  • Coudln't agree more. My brother and three cousins all named their sons Jalen..just spelled differently. Heck my one cousin has two sons named Jalen ( by different women). I'm like what the heck were you thinking. Now there is like 5 Jalen's all within 2-3 years of each other in the same family with the same name. Geesh.

I wanted to use a middle name that a cousin had used and I was chewed a new rear..explain that one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Because she's family, you should be polite, call her and ask if she'll mind. If she says no, keep looking, but chances are, if you're word your request well, she'll gladly offer permission. But you really do need to mention it to her before you do it, otherwise you could be creating family strife.
  • I think its fine.....at least I hope its fine!!  I am naming my baby the same name as my boyfriend's cousin and uncle (father and son). They are like 25 and 50 years old so I dont think it matters plus they live in another state and we see them at family reunions once a year and thats it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • BIL has the same name as a cousin of his.  It's no big deal.

I also know a woman who's nephew is William and she used Liam. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I think it's weird. The grandparents would have two of the same-name grandchildren. Now, that will get confusing when they get older. "Now does this Emily like soccer or ballet? Oh, I'll just give them both teddy bears."
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Depends.... Do you want to use the same name your cousin used? and the children will be 2nd cousins? I think that's fine.

Do you want to use the same name your or DH's sibling used? and the children will be 1st cousins? I think that's too close.

If the grandparents are going to have two grandchildren with the same first name, it's too confusing.

My DH was named the same as his first cousin who is only about 4 years older. I will never understand why my in-laws did that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagequeenbone:

imagestcroixbride:
    I wouldn't, but I honestly don't like the same names in the same generation.  I hate the idea of someone having 2 grandkids with the same name.

But it wouldn't be the same grandparent, it would be the same great grandparent, right?  I guess in the cases I'm considering within my own family or DH's none of those great grandparents are still alive.  And even if they are alive, the last names could be different or the nns.  For once a year visits I would NOT worry about it.

this is what happens when you get 3 hours of sleep at night.

You're right, it is great-grandparent.  Still don't like it.

• i don't see a problem with it. my brother and my cousin have the same name, they're a year apart. honestly i don't think anyone thought anything of it. i don't see the big deal. name your kid what you want.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"