Houston Babies

Upper lip thing attached low to gums?

I looked it up and there's a name for it (starts with a F) and it's the same thing as being tongue tied but for the upper lip.  Ally has that issue and we didn't really notice until until a few weeks ago when we were trying to check her top teeth.  It's really hard to flip her lips to check because of that attachment.  I'm starting to wonder if it's affecting the teeth from coming out because it's right there.  It may also be the reason why she hates drinking from the bottle because she has a hard time sucking.  Dr never said anything about it, but it may be because Ally is still a chubby baby and doesn't have weight issues. 

We have an appt to just get it checked out on Tuesday because I didn't want to wait a month for her well check to ask if this is affecting her teething and causing a lot of pain.

Has anyone dealt with this? 

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image

Re: Upper lip thing attached low to gums?

• I haven't had any experience with this, I would think that it might have something to do with speech/sucking, but that is just me. I think you are right to have it looked at.. I hope that tooth comes through quickly! I also wanted to say I can't believe how big and cute your girls are! They are growing too quick!

P.S. Try giving her a frozen or very cold wet washcloth to chew on. I think the texture helps to break the gums so the tooth can come in. Claire loves this.. she's had a molar coming in for about a month now, it's almost all the way through!

• I believe it's called a frenum.  Our dentist told me that he sometimes has to cut a child's frenum to help their teeth grow properly (??).  He explained why but of course I don't remember now.

Sarah recently tore her frenum when she was bouncing on the bed and she came down hard on the foot board.  Oh the blood! 

Maybe call your family dentist and ask about it  and see what they recommend.

• Loading the player...
  • If you are concerned about it I would take her to a pediatric dentist to ask about it.  Abbie's was pretty low too but the dentist I took her to when she was 2 said it's no too bad and that it could "move up" so to speak as she grows.  She has no issues with it now.
    Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • Emmy's is pretty low too and caused the gap between her top two teeth. But there hasn't been any major concerns other than appearance.  But now I'm wondering if it's affecting her speech because she can talk a lot but doesn't speak clearly (but it could also be an age thing too!)  At her 3 year dentist appt, he said that he wasn't too concerned about it and really doesn't do much until they're around 7 or so because sometimes it does move a little up more.

With Ally, it's a major connection where we can barely (well..we can't even) flip her lips up a little to look at her gums.  We have to make her laugh hard to even look up at her gums.  I may call the dentist instead and see what they say. 

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Yes, it can affect teeth coming in later - I would def. get it checked out.  It's much more of a minor procedure when they are young, b/c when you get older, more nerves and blood vessels grow in that area.
  • imageKKMMex:

Sarah recently tore her frenum when she was bouncing on the bed and she came down hard on the foot board.  Oh the blood! 

Samuel did ths same thing at 8mo... bouncing in a booth at chick-fil-a and I was holding him. The screaming! The blood! The panicked old-guy/host fetching napkins!

- Jena
  • imagejen5/03:
    imageKKMMex:

Samuel did ths same thing at 8mo... bouncing in a booth at chick-fil-a and I was holding him. The screaming! The blood! The panicked old-guy/host fetching napkins!

Both boys have it too.  I had mine clipped when I was 6 or 7.  Trust me when I say I think it is a non issue.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't experienced it, but I have a friend whose baby had the same thing. They did a small procedure and cut it a bit so that it didn't effect speech.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"