3rd Trimester

for those with swelling

i have been swollen since before my 16 week appt, and have a lot of swelling overall, particularly in my feet/ankles/calves. Anyway, i have gained 30 lbs at 32 weeks and the MW says thats fine, esp since i have a lot of water weight.

my question is - are you ladies with swelling also gaining more weight than you though you would? i just wonder HOW MUCH of the weight is swelling, ya know? like out of 30 lbs, are we talking 2 lbs or 20 lbs??

Mom to 2 beautiful girls, 3 yrs and 22 months old. My 2nd was born at 32 weeks due to Rhogam failure/severe complications from Rh disease and is our miracle. She has bilateral auditory neuropathy and a cochlear implant, activated 4/5/2012 at 19 months. Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: for those with swelling

• I've got a lot of swelling, and I've gained too much weight (I refuse to admit the actual number).  I guess we'll see how much is actually water weight though.  I hope someone can actually answer your question because I'd like to know that too!
  • I have been really swollen and am gaining 2 pounds a week. I'd like to think to myself that at least a pound of that is water weight. I don't think you really know or can tell until after the baby is born and the water weight goes away.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • yeah, and the nurse also told me it can take 1-2 MONTHS for the swelling to go away. ugh.
    Mom to 2 beautiful girls, 3 yrs and 22 months old. My 2nd was born at 32 weeks due to Rhogam failure/severe complications from Rh disease and is our miracle. She has bilateral auditory neuropathy and a cochlear implant, activated 4/5/2012 at 19 months. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had some "end of day" swelling since about 22 weeks but nothing major. On Thursday (34 weeks exactly) my baby dropped and now I have major (painful) swelling in my feet and legs. I also seemed to gain the most in the past 2 weeks which I am contributing to the swelling! I was gaining about a lb a week (or less) all along but I gained 5 lbs in 2 weeks between my last 2 appointments.

• I have had swelling issues since about week 16 and I have gained in total about 40 pounds (although I am having twins which makes me feel a little better about all the weight).  I am hoping at least 5 pounds is water weight.  I am dreading my next appointment that scale better not still be moving.

Kerri

• I've got a lot of swelling and my weight gain went from 0-60 mph over the past couple of months.  My doctor keeps assuring me that a lot of it is water and that as long as my BP and urine are good, then the swelling is just a nuisance.

Anecdotally, I have a friend who was really swollen throughout the third trimester.  She told me that she lost 30lbs in 2 weeks.  Her son was about 9.5lbs so I figured that she lost maybe 15 pounds or so from the baby, placenta, blood, etc.  and 15lbs in water. 

• I just started last week to get the end of the day swelling in my feet, mostly my right foot.  Minor swelling in fingers, small enough where my rings are tight but I can still get them on and I have gain 17 lbs so far.  That number will change tomorrow though, I am sure, at my weekly appt! 
  • Last week I gained 6 pounds, and I had been steady at around 1-2 per week.  I don't see how I could possibly gain 5 actual pounds in one week.  Not sure if this would be accurate, but I was hoping that 4-5 pounds was water weight. 

My mom said she had a lot of swelling and she lost a lot of it in just a matter of weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"