Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Is green poop ok?

I've already asked this on the Breastfeeding board and wanted to see if any of you had seen green poop from your LO?  I EBF and the past couple of dirty diapers have been green.  They started out pea green and turned to spinach green.  What do you think?  Is this ok?  Should I call the pedi about it tomorrow?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is green poop ok?

• Normal.  DD's stools range anywhere from spinach green to burnt orange.  I've started referring to them as Aubrey's Amazing Technicolor Poops.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
  • My LO recently had green poops too, and my Pedi said this was ok.  As long as there wasn't blood with it too, it's fine.  He said it probably had something to do with my diet...like maybe I had eaten something I hadn't before.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys, this makes me feel better!  The girls on the breastfeeding board said it might be the effect of LO not getting the hindmilk while breastfeeding.  Could this be it? 

I'm not going to worry about it since your pedi said it was ok.  I'm sure I will get the same answer.  I'll be on the look out for blood though.  

• imagekelleylk:

Thanks guys, this makes me feel better!  The girls on the breastfeeding board said it might be the effect of LO not getting the hindmilk while breastfeeding.  Could this be it? 

I'm not going to worry about it since your pedi said it was ok.  I'm sure I will get the same answer.  I'll be on the look out for blood though.  

I've brought this up with my LC, and she still said that green stools are a normal variant.  I feel like DD nurses the same way every time, and again, the color of her stools varies widely.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
  • It could mean LO isn't getting enough hindmilk.  Are you letting LO BF as long as they want on one side before offering the other?  Green poop isn't a sign of anything bad though.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • imagekelleylk:

Thanks guys, this makes me feel better!  The girls on the breastfeeding board said it might be the effect of LO not getting the hindmilk while breastfeeding.  Could this be it? 

I did read somewhere online that "green, foamy poop" can be an indicator of lack of hindmilk.

• Is it regular other than the color or is it frothy/foamy? If it looks normal other than the green, it's okay. Ds is ebf and has the occasional green poop. He only feeds off one side so I know he's getting the hind milk.
  • Yes, DS eats from one side at a time for an average of 15 min.  I never take him off the breast, he quits eating when he is finished.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"